Last few hours….

Logroño, Spain. My new home

Well the day has arrived. I leave for Spain in about 5 hours. My suitcase is packed with the essentials, my passport is ready, and my flight info is printed. I’ve stocked up on the essentials that I can’t find in Spain, like proper hair conditioner and deodorant, brown sugar, and good orbit gum. I’ve canceled my American cell phone, and I’ve notified my banks. I have various plans ready in case of issues with my baggage. $70 dollars for a second checked bag on an international flight? Hell no! I am flying out of Dulles, D.C.’s biggest airport and I’m planning to arrive super early because it is a flipping nightmare. Dulles is on my hit list for worst airport ever. Right up there with Charles de Gaulle in Paris and Barajas in Madrid.

My flight leaves Washington D.C. this afternoon at half past five, and should arrive bright in early in Madrid tomorrow morning at around 7. Pending I don’t get detained in immigration, I’ll grab my suitcase and drag it through the metro to the bus station where I’ll catch a bus at 10:30 up to Logroño. A 4 hour bus ride after a 8 hour flight, just what I want. Not. I’ll hopefully arrive in Logroño with time for a shower and a siesta before beginning my new life there: apartment search, setting up phone, bank accounts, wifi, ect. You can see I have a plan; I like plans. and lists. But I really hate when crucial things do not go well (even though it usually ends with a funny story to relate later). I am already looking forward to a big glass of yummy red Rioja wine tomorrow night!

I am very, very excited for another year in Spain, especially to be in Logroño in La Rioja. I can’t wait to meet all my fellow auxiliars, and to get to know my two new elementary schools that I’ll be working at. I am excited for all the wine festivals in September, and for when the leaves change and for hiking all around the beautiful countryside. I am excited to experience a whole new side of Spain and to meet new people and see new places. I am excited for this year!

Wish me luck!

My autorización de regreso: this piece of paper stands between me and being deported :/

, , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Last few hours….

1. Erin September 12, 2011 at 5:50 pm #

Once I brought brown sugar to Madrid (because who can live with out brown sugar – not me!). It’s so dry here, though, that it turned into a hard brick. Now, if I want to use it, I have to mix it with water. Seriously. The things I’ll do for brown sugar (and chocolate, and peanut butter, and jamon….)

Good luck with your journey!

2. Liz September 12, 2011 at 6:59 pm #

Uh oh! I will definitely keep that in mind! I can’t live with out chocolate chip cookies and Spanish brown sugar is soooooo not the same. And I feel you on all but the peanut butter (since I’m super allergic lol), I go through major jamón withdrawal whenever I come home to the states

3. Anonymous September 12, 2011 at 10:22 pm #

Hello Liz.

I have found your blog surfing the internet reading things about Logroño. I’m from Logroño but I don’t live there. Just reading this post I’d like to comment you that there are bus from Madrid Airport to Logroño (alsa.es group), and if you go to Madrid bus station the cheapest company is plmautocares.com. I don’t know if you are already on your trip, but if you read this on time I hope it is useful for you.

Anyway, if you need some help in Logroño, maybe I can give you some advice. Enjoy your stay there

4. Kaley [Y Mucho Más] September 13, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

GOOD LUCK!

5. Liz September 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Hey thanks guys!! I’ve been taking the alsa bus but I usually catch it from Avenida de America so I can get a good seat and don’t have to scramble. I love it here already! So beautiful and incredible tapas!! I would love some Logroño/La Rioja tips :)

6. Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

Hello again.

I’m glad you made your trip and enjoied your first tapas in Logroño. About tapas that I have read you like, I assume you have gone to Laurel street. It is a nice place and have the best athmosfere, but there are other areas worthy of going. Maria Teresa Gil de Garate street has nice bars and cheap tapas, and for quality tapas you can go to San Juan street. Writing about food (I think food and wine is the most turistic of Logroño), I recomend you “Porto Vecchio” for tortilla de patata.

If you are still looking for an appartment, I know someone that is renting a flat, although I don’t think it fix your needs because it’s a big one (4 rooms), and so expensive. But if you know more people to share with, or you are interested in anyhow, let me know.

I hope you enjoy your stay, and have fun in fiestas de San Mateo. I think I’ll keep reading your blog, so maybe I do some more comments.

7. spanishsabores September 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

I hope you have a great year in Logroño… it sounds beautiful! I totally understand about conditioner and brown sugar. I brought 2 big bottles of a special conditioner I can find really cheap at Sally’s Beauty Supply (here a similar thing costs more than double). I didn’t bring brown sugar though because I noticed some of the chinese supermarkets do carry it, although it’s much darker than what i use in the US. I figured I’d experiment…

8. Mike of Mapless Mike March 11, 2014 at 3:53 pm #

Liz, I can see your passion for travel and adventure from all the way back in this post. Thank you for tweeting it out today!