The summer of 2009 was one of the best summers of my life. I had one a grant at my university to spend the summer researching at the National Library in Madrid in preparation for my senior thesis. On my way back to the States, I decided to travel to two places I had been dying to get to: Slovenia and Croatia. Luckily, one of my good friends, L, decided to come over and join me. After 6 hours of the worst bus ride of our lives (imagine no AC, no open windows, and about 90° and overcrowded with baby vomit), from Slovenia down into central Croatia, we arrived at our destination: Plitvice Lakes. Plitvice is a huge national park, filled with tons of interconnected lakes, waterfalls, and forests. The color of the water is unbelievable, crystal clear, bright turquoise, and azure blue. Seriously this place is magical, something out of a fairy tale. We spent the whole day weaving our way around the lakes on floating wooden pathways, sitting in the sun, and dipping our toes in the water. Swimming isn’t allowed, which was pure torture on a hot July day. Those two weeks in south eastern Europe have been by far my favorite trip I have ever taken. If you are looking for a trip that is off the beaten track and shockingly beautiful, I suggest Croatia and Slovenia, with a stop off at the Plitvice Lakes. Though, maybe just rent a car.
Photo Friday: Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
Who is Young Adventuress?
Hi, I'm Liz, and I got my first taste for traveling and Spain when I was 16 years old. On my own, 9 years and 30 something countries later, my wanderlust has only grown and the list of countries I want to visit longer. I've been living in Spain for the past few years but now I am about to embark on a new journey across the globe. Follow my adventures as I wander, eat, and photograph my way around the world
- YOUNG ADVENTURESS IS MOVING TO NEW ZEALAND!!! May 28, 2013
- Today I Quit My Job to Travel the World April 12, 2013
- ONA around the World + Giveaway November 12, 2013
- 5 Things No One Tells You about Moving Abroad March 27, 2013
- Top 5 Reasons Why I HATE the Auxiliar Program in Spain November 27, 2012
- 13 Best Hate Comments of 2013 December 10, 2013
- Don’t Underestimate Turkey in Winter December 8, 2013
- Raise a Glass to Toast Martinborough! December 4, 2013
- Autumn Instagram Update December 1, 2013
- 5 Myths about Adventure Travel November 27, 2013
- Liz: Blogging has definitely given me a thick skin!...
- Liz: Some hate is well deserved madam...
- Liz: that. is. awesome....
- Liz: HOLY SHIT! That's amazingly terrible!...
- Liz: haha that's a good way to look at it!...