Photo Friday: Amsterdam

IMG_0972

Yeah, so it’s Saturday and I am just posting this Photo Friday of Amsterdam bikes. Forgive me! I had such a long, stressful week I crashed last night like a 5 year old after a day at Disneyland. 4 years ago I had an epic spring break trip. I was studying abroad in Salamanca, and we had over two weeks off from classes. I spent the first week traveling around Belgium and the Netherlands with a friend from home, and the second week in Poland and then down on the Amalfi Coast in southern Italy. See what I mean? Epic!

There is so much I could say about Amsterdam. From the colorful brick houses to the green canals, to the coffeeshops and red-light district (since my mom reads this blog, I’m not gonna say ANYTHING about that), to the world-class museums, where do I even begin? So instead I chose a picture that I think really describes the city. An army of bicycles!

Everyone in Holland rides bicycles; it’s amazing! Instead of looking for cars to cross the street, you have to watch out for the bikes. And when you are cycling around, make sure to watch out for the deep ruts in the street for the trams. I snapped this picture near the train station; it is literally a parking lot only for bikes! Bikes are everywhere in Holland, with over 400km of bike paths and over half a million bikes, it’s the easiest way to get around. Just make sure you don’t fall into a canal!

Have you ever been to Amsterdam? Did you ride a bike there? What do you think about bike-friendly cities?

, , , ,

9 Responses to Photo Friday: Amsterdam

1. Reg of The Spain Scoop May 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Loved Amsterdam. Was there last year in October when it was around 80 degrees! Fabulous.

• Elizabeth Carlson June 7, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

woah I wish our weather had been that good! It was sunny and snowing the whole time! brrrrr

2. Megan May 31, 2012 at 8:32 am #

i love amsterdam and i love bike culture within cities! i wish america was more like that seriously. i remember after my friend totaled my car in the states before moving to norway i had to walk or bike ride to work. i used to take back roads so no one would stop and ask what was wrong with me. YES…people do that LOL. i care alot less now and ride my bike everywhere in norway.

• Elizabeth Carlson June 7, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

me too! I wish the US was more bike friendly! I would feel safer riding a bike in crazy euro traffic than back home haha. I need to get a bike here in spain to explore the countryside, though the city isn’t too bike friendly. I’m sure I would wipe out on all these cobblestones haha

3. joseph February 11, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

i had to read beatiful write amsterdam night life. You can read this link: http://sarktravel.com/amsterdam-nightlife/

4. Wakas March 4, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

Travelled there last November 2012. It was very cold for me as I was travelling from a warm climate of the middle east. Must say riding the bike in that city was a pleasure. I was riding after a long time but it was the best way to see around the spectacular areas of the city such as the singel, leidsplein, rembrandt, etc.

5. Maria Sotirakou November 7, 2014 at 12:02 am #

Have visited Amsterdam some years ago and I was getting the only really sunny days during an icy month of March! Lucky me! I am waiting for a longer text about it! Please! Its such a joy reading you!

6. Alexandria D. August 10, 2015 at 7:59 am #

It’s good to see a country where there’s more bicycles being used as public transportation than cars.

7. Stuart Forster November 11, 2016 at 4:36 am #

I’ll be heading to Amsterdam soon and will be checking out the Rijksmuseum while there. I guess hiring a bicycle will make sense, so that I can cover more ground while I’m in the city. Your photo captures how it is there.