Photo Friday: Bruges, Belgium

IMG_0469

From 2007 to 2008, I was studying abroad in Salamanca, Spain. For the first week of Semana Santa, I decided to head up north to Belgium and the Netherlands to meet up with a Dutch friend from home. Perhaps one of my favorite cities on this trip was Bruges. We saw so many places on that trip, but Bruges is the one that has remained foremost in my mind ever since. It was absolutely freezing, intermittently raining and snowing, but I loved every minute of it.

We spent hours wandering around the quaint cobblestone streets, munching on hot frites, taking in the blooming trees and greenery, and watching the swans swim around the canals. I snapped this Photo Friday of a little canal, completely mesmerized by the brightness of the green trees reflected in the still water, and old stone buildings with red roofs. I can’t wait to go back to Belgium one day, but hopefully next time in the summer!

Have you ever been to Bruges? What did you think of it? Am I the only person who hasn’t seen the movie In Bruges?

, , ,

8 Responses to Photo Friday: Bruges, Belgium

1. Kaley [Y Mucho Más] May 5, 2012 at 2:49 am #

Yep! I was there in January 2011. So coooooold! I found it touristy, but charming. I haven’t seen the movie either.

2. Liz May 5, 2012 at 11:52 am #

Yeah I think I lucked out and it wasn’t so touristy back then. Glad to see someone else hasn’t seen it either! 😛

3. Cassandra May 6, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

I can also vouch that Belgium is cold in January!! However, when I got back from my trip I thought a friend of mine was going to yell at me since I’d spent all my days in Brussels. A trip back to see Bruges is on the bucket list!

4. Reg of The Spain Scoop May 6, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

I saw that movie, not that great!

5. lexiledore May 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

Hopefully, by the time you make it back to Bruges, summer remembers that Belgium even exists 🙂 It’s May, but it feels like February!! I also saw the movie. Sort of. It was in a plane, and I fell asleep after like ten minutes.

• Sofie December 18, 2012 at 8:41 am #

Unfortunately it’s true: you can never be sure of good weather in Belgium.
      I’m glad you enjoyed Bruges. I’ll be going abck there myself this Sunday:-)
      If you ever make it back to our little country, be sure to also visit Antwerp and Ghent!

6. Arnie February 1, 2015 at 2:16 am #

We loved Bruges, or Brugge, if you prefer. Yes, it is tourist centric, but we have no problem with that except when you have to run a gauntlet of t-shirt and souvenir shops like on the walk up to Mont St Michel. Now, that is torture!

7. Denzil April 19, 2016 at 4:52 am #

Hi Liz, if you ever come to Belgium again, check out my blog for some ideas. If you’re into cities, Ghent is a super place: a bit like Bruges but less fairytale and more of a working city, but still with canals, cathedrals, alleyways, bridges, and tons of museums.