My 5 Favorite Christmas Markets in Germany

christmas markets germany
In another life I must have been born a princess in a fairytale.
Or maybe just a lowly serf dreaming about being a princess in a fairytale. What’s the difference, really?

Owing to an overindulged childhood and an frightfully active imagination, I developed an interest in castles, legends, and knights in shining armor. Nothing sparks my wanderlust more than talk of a well-preserved palace or reading sagas and folklore about a haunted forest. I may or may not plan some of my trips around castles I want to visit or places that ooze quaintness and fairytale charm. One time I even got to stay in a medieval castle, and I’ve even made the Holy Grail pilgrimage to famous Neuschwanstein in Bavaria, salmonella poisoning and all. But that’s a story for another day.

This is one of the many reasons why I belong in Europe and NOT rural Virginia, where the closest I get to a castle is getting invited to chaperone my sister’s friend’s birthday party at Medieval Times.

And what is one of the most famous castle-drenched landscapes in Europe? The Rhine river and southwestern Germany. I had to go. It was not even a question.

christmas markets germany

5 years ago (holy crap I feel old!) I spent a few months backpacking around Europe on a rail pass. I had a week to kill before going to Norway for Christmas and decided I would check out the part of Germany I had been dying to see. Traveling there right before the holidays meant I got to see the much talked about German Christmas markets (Weihnachtsmarkt) in all their twinkling glory.

Medieval castles? Winter wonderland forests and mountains? Handmade Christmas presents and carols sung 24/7? Hot spiced wine and more Schniztel and Wurst than I could ever dream of?

Two birds, one stone. I was in medieval Christmas fairytale heaven.

christmas markets germany

So here is a list of my 5 favorite German Christmas markets and towns.

Most of them are  lesser-known and relatively off the beaten tourist track. Traveling alone in Germany in winter as an American with 2 years worth of college German under my belt and a cowboy approach to language learning meant that I had no shortage of new friends to share Glühwein and sausages with.

Have you ever been to a Christmas market in Germany or Europe? Are you a fairytale lover too?

1. Freiburg im Breisgau

Freiburg freaking rocks! I loved this city. It was a great introduction to Germany and an area I had been dreaming about for years. The gateway to the Black Forest (hello Grimm Brothers!) this medieval town is all charm and colorful gothic buildings. Super green and eco-friendly, be careful where you step or you might fall in one of the Bächle or open street gutters gurgling around town. The Christmas market runs for a month from November 26th to Christmas sprawling around the old quarter in the shadow of the beautiful cathedral. Many of the stands sell handmade traditional gifts from this region in Germany, like beeswax carved candles, cuckoo clocks and wooden toys.

christmas markets germany

Tips: you can fly cheaply to Freiburg on Easyjet to the Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg airport straddling the borders of Switzerland, Germany and France. There are buses that take you straight into the city of your choice. The German train company DB sells day passes that let you travel around the Baden-Württemberg region with up to five friends, hopping from Christmas market to Christmas market. The trains even run deep into the Black Forest if you want to get your fairytale on.

2. Stuttgart

Source

I stopped in Stuttgart for half a day on my journey north. Stuttgart was on my radar for 3 reasons: it has one of the oldest Christmas markets in Germany, and there are no less than five castles and palaces to be found around town. Five! Stuttgart is also home to Mercedes-Benz and Porsche. My stepdad would have killed me if I went to that part of Germany and missed those holy automobile shrines.

The Christmas market is huge, sprawling over the central square. Almost everything is homemade and authentic, and the stalls are decorated beautifully; there is even a mini train and ice rink for children (or for the child in all of us). There is a big variety of food sold, including a lot of fish on a stick. Not fish sticks, rather a whole fish cooked on a stick.

christmas markets germany

Tips: Stuttgart can get super crowded so make sure you schedule in enough time that you don’t feel rushed. Some of the stalls that sell Glühwein (the famous hot spiced wine) also sell the mug it comes it, making great souvenirs.

3. Heidelberg

christmas markets germany

Heidelberg blew my mind. I arrived at night, checked into an adorable B&B downtown (attic room I had to climb up a ladder to get to, candles, exposed wooden beams, the works) and then I headed to the main square to check out the Christmas market. All lit up, kids were ice-skating, chestnuts were roasting and the famous castle was lit up red overlooking the old town. The next morning I hiked up through the woods to the castle ruins before coming back into town to sample the hot cocoa and peruse nutcrackers and ornaments. Talk about getting into the Christmas spirit!

Source

Tips: Make sure to bundle up. Not stating the blindingly obvious, but all of these markets are outside, and Germany in December isn’t exactly toasty. I always wore leggings under my pants to stay warm. There is nothing worse than being too cold to enjoy an outdoor market!

4. Koblenz

christmas markets germany

Koblenz is a a cute little town on the Rhine river where it intersects with the Moselle. This is true wine and castle country, with the Rhineland being one of my favorite areas in Europe. Wide and surrounded by castle-studded mountains, it couldn’t be more beautiful. In December the sun burns through the late-morning mists, leaving the landscape covered in silver frost. It’s the definition of a winter wonderland. There are dozens of little villages and unknown towns to discover, almost all of which have a Christmas market.

christmas markets germany

Tips: Koblenz is a small town but there are several beautiful medieval castles in the surrounding area worth visiting, like Cochem Castle and Stolzenfels Castle. Sometimes the hours change in winter so it’s worth planning in advance and renting a car. Also you can fly into Frankfurt Hahn airport which is nearby and is close to all the towns on the Rhine, if you can tolerate Ryanair.

Cochem Castle (Source)

Stolzenfels Castle (source)

5. Cologne

Source

I finished my tour of the Rhineland and southwestern Germany in Cologne. Boasting not one, but six total Christmas markets, to say it is big is a massive understatement. The main market sits in the shadow of Cologne’s mighty cathedral, the Dom, but by the time I arrived I was already overwhelmed with Christmas cheer. I spent most of my afternoon in Cologne craning my neck trying to see to the top of the fifth tallest church in the world with stuffing my face with German pastries and hot chocolate. Not a bad day in my books. Until I got on the train to Bremen where I had my WORST incident with Ryanair.

Source

Tips: If you are looking for a large, stereotypical German Christmas market, Cologne is the place for you. You could spend over a day there wandering amongst the stalls and taking in the sites. It makes for a good starting point on any trip around the Rhineland and to German Christmas markets.

Source

Photo 1: source
Photo 2: source
Photo 3: source

, , , , ,

39 Responses to My 5 Favorite Christmas Markets in Germany

1. Aga November 25, 2012 at 10:49 pm #

I love Xmas markets! And those in Germany look great. I just went to see a tiny one we have in Galway, the good thing they have many stands with food and mulled wine. Shame there are not many decorations. And I miss funny traditions and decorations from Christmas market in Barcelona!

• Liz November 26, 2012 at 12:31 am #

bummer! How was the market in Barcelona? I have been to a few Christmas markets in Spain and they were nice, but nothing like Germany!

2. Megan November 25, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

i freaking loveeee the german christmas markets. i lived in germany for six years as a kid and spent a lot of time doing the christmas market thing 😉

im happy you included heidelberg 🙂 some of my earliest memories are from that city!

• Liz November 26, 2012 at 12:30 am #

ah cool! I loved Heidelberg! It’s such an amazing place! I really loved this part of Germany, I haven’t even been to Berlin or the north/east at all!

• Megan November 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

me either! when i lived there it was separated still (uhoh…that gives my age away basically hahhahah kidddddding). well if you come back to europe soon we can go together 😉

3. Julika November 26, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I’m really in a Christmas mood after reading this post! Can’t wait for my very first Glühwein this year 🙂
    I would definitely agree that the Weihnachtsmarkt next to the Cathedral in Cologne is one of the most gorgeous. If you ever happen to come back to Germany around Christmas season, you should also check out the market in Kassel. The “fairy tale Christmas market” there is dedicated to the brothers Grimm, because the lived in Kassel. Each year they chose a different fairy tale character to become the market’s patron – so lovely! And I always keep the Glühwein cups as my year round fairy tale coffee mugs 🙂

• Liz November 26, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

That fairytale market in Kassel sounds amazing! Right up my alley! I have to go back 🙂

4. Alex @ ifs ands & Butts November 26, 2012 at 11:08 am #

You just missed Karlsruhe on your trip 😛 But really, this part of German is absolutely stunning and oh so close to my heart. The hills, the Rhine, the tall, thick trees. Watching the Christmas Market being set up outside my office window makes me giddy every day. I am so ready for it to open on Thursday. I think I’ll also check out the one in Strasbourg this weekend.

• Liz November 26, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

I love that part of Germany! I guess I’ll just have to go to Karlsruhe and visit 😀

5. Kerry @ Frugal City Girl November 26, 2012 at 11:52 am #

I love these! A few years ago I stayed in Vienna for a week in early December, which had the same sort of Christmas markets – I loved getting a cup of hot mulled wine and walking through all the sellers’ displays.

Freiberg especially sounds gorgeous – I love the combination of eco-friendliness and the romance of the Black Forest.

6. Steph November 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

I loved the Hamburg Christmas Markets…I felt like I was in a Christmas movie when I went there!! I also saw Berlin’s, Dusseldorf’s and Münster’s Christmas markets…all very fun! Love it!!

7. Kristi November 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

I didn’t know about Stuttgart and it’s now on my list. But what about Munich or Neuremburg markets? Did you go to them or like them? Or were they too commercialized?

The Christmas markets are on my bucketlist, because I love Christmas and I love old German markets with handmade stuff. I’m planning to go Christmsa 2013. We were planning on going to Munich though.

• Liz November 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

I skipped the big big ones because I really wanted to visit more authentic, off the beaten track cities, more romantic, less commercialized. I haven’t been to the ones in Munich or Neuremburg, but if they are like Cologne, they’re probably too big and too touristy for me. I love all the handmade, local gifts to be found in these cities. Made my trip 😀

8. Berlin Christmas Markets November 27, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

I just moved to Berlin and this year is my first time I even experience Christmas Markets. It doesn’t really exist in Sweden, where I come from. Have you been to Christmas Markets in Berlin and if so, is there any you recommend in particular?

• Liz December 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

I haven’t been to Berlin but I am sure there are some great markets there, it’s such a big city!

If you find any good ones let me know 🙂

9. Alana - Paper Planes December 2, 2012 at 9:21 am #

Oh my word – I was in Freiburg a couple years ago for a work thing and had totally forgotten about it until reading this post…it was so charming! Unfortunately I wasn’t there during the holidays…

• Liz December 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

Freiburg is so charming! I love it so much! I want to go back to this area during a different season to see what it’s like, maybe in summer!

10. Jeff Titelius December 3, 2012 at 12:11 am #

What a wonderful Christmas Market roundup! I would have loved to stay in the attic room in Heidelberg…sounds positively enchanting!!! Gorgeous photos of the Rhine too!!!

• Liz December 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

thanks! I’m glad you liked it 🙂

11. Travel Tamed December 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

I love Koblenz and Koeln, this are just great places to visit in December. Just great blog design you have here and very nice pictures in each articles, thanks for such an awesome share.
    Cheers and Happy Xmas

• Liz December 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Thanks! Merry Christmas!

12. Salim December 29, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

You totally missed the Frankfurter Weihnachtsmarkt.
    Visit us next year, you gonna love it!

13. Cali February 13, 2014 at 9:42 am #

Glad to see you’re enjoying the Schwabaländle so much! 😀 If you ever come again in December, you should totally check out the medieval Christmas market in Esslingen! It’s only one hour from Tübingen by train and I just went for the first time last Christmas even though I’ve been living close-by all my life. They have some of the best Punsch I’ve ever tasted and the medieval market is really fun!

• Kim September 22, 2014 at 9:41 pm #

I too have been to the Esslingen Christmas Market, it is a because you love quaint, authentic festivals. Everything here is handmade, they even police it to make sure nothing is mass produced. I bought some of the mulled wine and kept the handmade pottery cup. Simply wonderful. We will be going back again this year!

• Kim September 22, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

* It is a MUST..

14. Bel April 11, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

Thanks so much for this Liz! Was just looking for German Christmas markets in this area as we are thinking of travelling over from NZ in 2015 and I want to know where we might go. I’ve been to many of these places in summer but is great to see they have amazing Christmas markets in winter too! I’d love to visit Frieburg as well. Never been there. Thanks so much for posting this. Bel

• Andrew February 20, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

Hi Ben I am from NZ as well and we are thinking of visiting this area pretty Christmas 2016. Interested to know how it went and how you traveled around.

• Andrew February 20, 2016 at 12:17 pm #

Whoops I meant Bel sorry auto correct on phone 🙂

• Andrew C March 16, 2016 at 9:39 pm #

Gidday Andrew 😉 did you ever get a response we are looking at the same thing same time this coming Christmas – also from NZ. Cheers Andrew.

15. Charlie January 22, 2015 at 5:52 pm #

Cologne was fantastic. Makes you feel like a kid at Christmas.

16. Milena Yordanova February 4, 2015 at 10:32 pm #

Nice photos! I love the Christmas markets in Germany. I visited some markets in Berlin last year, but these ones above look so romantic and medieval. I will add them to my bucket list. 🙂

17. Ximena July 23, 2015 at 12:04 am #

Oh my gosh I’ve been wanting to do a tour or Christmas markets for a really long time but I don’t know where to start!! Any suggestions in traveling solo? Like where to start my trip? I wanted to ask you, how long did it take you to visit all 6 markets? And besides de twit pass how much did you end up spending overall?

18. Ximena July 23, 2015 at 12:05 am #

Btw, I love the pictures!! They are so inspiring. I have never been to Europe but I think that this will be a good start for my European journey. I just really don’t know where to start.

19. Alexandria D. August 10, 2015 at 7:47 am #

I can’t believe my family and I didn’t go to any of these places when we lived in Germany. Oh well, there’s always next time. haha!

20. Mel November 7, 2015 at 12:35 am #

A little late to the convo here haha but wanted to say I really liked this post Liz. I was in Germany not too long ago and loved it. However, ended up leaving and forgetting to get my husband the cuckoo clock he desperately wanted (found a place I could order it though http://www.bavarianclockworks.com/) hahah wooops! Can’t wait to go back to this country, beautiful and good beer:)

21. ruth October 11, 2016 at 1:39 am #

Hi 🙂 I am planning on visiting a German Christmas Marketing in December but I only have the weekend to spend on this trip. I was thinking Cologne.. but i cant seem to find a nice location to stay for the two nights! I am travelling with my BF and wanted something cute /cozy and christmasy! Also not far from the main attractions. Any suggestions?

Ruth, Dublin.

1. What's Your Fairytale? - Young Adventuress - December 2, 2012

[…] Lonely Planet Germany. I was on my way to Freiburg and to get my holiday spirit on hopping from one Christmas market town to another in south-west Germany. Sipping on an overpriced cup of coffee, I was searching for […]

2. My Ryanair Horror Stories - Young Adventuress - December 8, 2012

[…] until Christmas. Hopping from one magical little town to another, drinking hot spiced wine at the Christmas markets while my nose turned red, I kept my spirits high and I was looking forward to spending the holidays […]

3. Berlin: a City for All Tastes - Young Adventuress - January 30, 2014

[…] is literally imprinted upon the German landscape, throughout the city. For culture fans, there are also tangible relics from the darker periods of […]