Photo Friday: Lake Bled, Slovenia

Lake Bled

What’s the most beautiful place you have ever been to?

This is a question I get asked a lot as a travel blogger. The answer is not always easy. I have been to many beautiful places around the world, each one distinct and special in its own way.

But there is one place always at the top of my list. It is the background on my computer and my iphone. I have a printed photo of it taped to my desk at work. It’s even on the back of my business cards.

Lake Bled, Slovenia.

Why is it the most beautiful place? Apart from being jaw-droppingly gorgeous, Lake Bled took me completely by surprise.  I wasn’t even planning on going there, rather just passing by on my way to the Julian Alps before heading down to Croatia a few summers ago. Browsing through my Balkan guidebook, I stumbled on the page about Lake Bled. I had never even seen a picture of it. Thinking it sounded lovely and idyllic, we quickly added it to our itinerary.

Best decision EVER.

Lake Bled is smack out of a fairy tale . The water is so blue it looks like someone dumped a million tons of cerulean blue crayon dye in it, with an island sporting a medieval church conveniently located in the middle. To make the scenery even more spectacular, Lake Bled is surrounded by lush green mountains, and the one next to the old town has a castle perched on top.

Is this for real?

And the best part? Almost no tourists. At least there weren’t any in the summer of 2009. Lake Bled is one of Europe’s best kept secrets, and it ranks very high on one my favorite places in the world. It was easy to chose Slovenia to be this week’s  Photo Friday.

Have you ever been? Would you go to Lake Bled if you had the chance?

16 Responses to Photo Friday: Lake Bled, Slovenia

1. kami November 9, 2012 at 7:09 am #

ah, Bled is amazing! I loved it there too! Have you been to the nearby lake of Bohinj as well? That was so much better for me! and literally noone was around!

• Liz November 10, 2012 at 12:16 am #

Yes I was in Bohinj too, but at dusk! I have to go back, I wish I had more time there! I am completely in love with Slovenia! It’s the most beautiful place!

2. Maja November 9, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

How wonderful is to read such a nice comment of my own country! 🙂 And I totally agree with you in all parts you’ve written; there are more tourists in the summer in Bled (or in other tourist areas), but it’s never too crowded (I guess the most corwded it could get is on Sundays when families make day trips).

• Liz November 10, 2012 at 12:16 am #

THANK YOU 🙂 I love Slovenia so much! One of my favorite places in the world!

3. Richard November 9, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Snap! My favourite place in the world too. I proposed to my wife there in summer 2009 and we just went back there for our 2nd anniversary.

If I could go every month, I would!

• Liz November 10, 2012 at 12:18 am #

OMG Best story ever! That sounds so lovely! I couldn’t think of a more spectacular place to get engaged 🙂 that makes me so happy! I’d go back every month too if I could!!

4. Matthew Karsten November 11, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Nice shot. Looks like an idyllic spot to spend a weekend. 🙂

• Liz November 12, 2012 at 3:37 am #

Definitely an idyllic place for a weekend, or forever!!!

5. Alex @ ifs ands & Butts November 13, 2012 at 11:35 am #

Ah dying to go there. You definitely hit it at the right time because I’ve certainly seen a frew sad travel photos of it on a gloomy day and it’s certainly not the same.

• Liz November 14, 2012 at 3:53 am #

I know! You have to get really lucky with the weather otherwise the water doesn’t look like that. I hope you get to go soon! It’s really amazing!!

6. Josh November 23, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

Hi Liz,

I’ve been having a thorough rummage around your blog and I have to say you have absolutely nailed it here. I am in awe, and supremely jealous!

I was in Lake Bled this summer and found it equally as mesmerising as you. I did a whole lap of it and took well over a hundred photos. Two days later, lost my camera…

Que pena!

• Liz November 26, 2012 at 12:38 am #

OMG that sucks!!!

7. Hannah January 28, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Hey Liz, question: did you stay at a hostel in Bled? I’ve been inspired by your post about the area and a friend of mine that’s from Slovenia highly recommends it as well. So I’ve booked a day trip to Lake Bled from my travels to Austria in March. Any accommodation/activity recommendations? I’ll only have about 24hrs there.

8. Chelsea August 6, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

Agreed. Well, I haven’t been but – your photos of Lake Bled are literally some of my favorite landscape travel photos EVER, and I mean it. I never really considered going to Slovenia until seeing your photos of Lake Bled! So THANK YOU & I can’t wait to go 🙂

9. Toccara August 11, 2015 at 6:10 am #

Staying in Bohinj this week, and sadly Bled no longer appears to be a ‘best kept secret’. Driving through Bled yesterday there was a line of cars, no joke, about 5 miles long simply stopped. It was a traffic jam through the entire town. Thankfully we were going in the opposite direction toward Bohinj, but Bled has definitely been discovered! We plan to go visit Bled early tomorrow morning to see the sunrise and hopefully beat the crowds. But, no doubt, this area is stunning!!

• Liz August 11, 2015 at 6:12 pm #

Ah bummer! I have such amazing memories from being there back in 08!