Come with Me to Tuscany #Video

Everyone dreams about Tuscany, right?

Or is it just me?

While I’ve spent a lot of time traveling around Italy over the years, I always put off visiting Tuscany. Once I even canceled a trip there. Why?

Because for me, and what I suspect for a lot of you, Tuscany represents the ultimate Italian experience. This is the Italy we dream of – crumbling farmhouses, rolling hills dotted with olive groves and cyprus trees, rustic living combined with hearty dining.  And don’t get me started on the wine. Medieval hilltowns unchanged for a millennium surrounded by fields of smiling yellow sunflower decorate this poignant landscape. How could you not dream of Tuscany?

Tuscany has always held a special place in my heart. But in idealizing this little region of Italy, I inadvertently put it on a pedestal and made it into something intangible.

tuscany video

You see guys, I felt like the real Tuscany could never live up to my expectations.

Boy was I wrong.

This is something I’m frequently guilty of, but it’s a character flaw I’m determined to improve over the next year (or ten). I’ve done it with New Zealand a month ago, and in July I made two of my biggest destination dreams come true with both Iceland and Tuscany.

Tuscany was all I could have asked for and more.

This goes to show you that you should never put off following your dreams somewhere.

“Life offers you a thousand chances… all you have to do is take one.”
― Frances Mayes, Under the Tuscan Sun

tuscany video

If I was unwavering in my decision to conquer Tuscany, it was also to spend the year trying to come up with creative, new and different ways to share my thoughts and ideas about travel with you all on my blog. One arena I was determined to tackle was video.

Big, bad, scary video.

And not just making videos, but learning to be comfortable on camera, which if you’re me, is the HARDEST thing in the world! I grew up very shy and self-conscious, so acting normal on video is hard but then having to watch yourself afterwards is even worse. Is that really what my hair looks like from the back? (100 points and a free puppy if you know what I just quoted).

Thus, Dreaming of Tuscany was born.

tuscany video

By combining two challenges into one project, this once silly idea became doubly fulfilling. I just killed the two proverbial birds with one stone. Now all I needed to was to find someone to help realize my ambition. And by somebody I mean someone who knew their way around video camera.

Emiliano and I met in Brindisi, Italy in June on a press trip.

Quickly realizing his creative view of the world behind the lens matched mine with a pen and paper, with a little pushing and prodding, I was able to convince him to tag along (and by tag along I mean drive me everywhere in Tuscany, film and cut this video). Grazie!

tuscany video

Our journey started in Cortona, a special little town that’s held a revered place in my heart since I first read Frances Mayes’ Under the Tuscan Sun ages ago. Home to the renowned American expat who is pretty much a god in my eyes, we explored the ancient town at sunset, dined under the summer stars and explored the beautiful rural spaces around Agriturismo I Pagliai, a restored medieval farmhouse where we stayed.

After a hard farewell from this simple paradise, we traveled down to the borders of Umbria to spend the day outside learning to cook with a family with Walks of Italy at their home. From learning how olive oil is produced to tasting the full-bodied local reds to sinking my fingers deep into pasta dough and attempting to make tagliatelle, I got a truly hands-on experience in the most picturesque of places, learning about the things I’ve dreamed of.

tuscany video

Our final stop was Casale Podernovo, another unreal farmhouse and winery on the other side of Tuscany. Tucked away among rolling hills near Pisa, we arrived as the sun was setting, turning the countryside gold and pink. With a glass of their own white, I watched the sun set, reflecting on the special, little moments from what would always be too short of time in Tuscany.

With this video, I want to bring you along with me to Tuscany, without words show you what this magical region means to me and how I will always cherish it in my memories. If it’s your dream, I hope you can make it there one day too.

So tell me, would you like to visit Tuscany one day?

Please take a hot sec to subscribe to my newly budding YouTube Channel and along with Emiliano’s Vimeo, which is much nicer. And if you liked the video, feel free to leave a comment or a thumbs up.

tuscany video

Many thanks to Agriturismo I Pagliai, Walks of Italy and Casale Podernovo for hosting us in Tuscany. This project wouldn’t have happened without you all.

And above all, thank you Emiliano for helping bring my dreams of Tuscany to life.

tuscany video

52 Responses to Come with Me to Tuscany #Video

1. Kay September 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm #

Wow, Liz! Beautiful video. Kudos to Emiliano and you for portraying Tuscany so beautifully and with such a free spirit.

• Liz September 27, 2013 at 9:56 am #

Thanks Kay :) Emiliano did a fab job of capturing the little, unique moments that make Tuscany so marvelous!

2. Leandro September 26, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

You quoted Hermione, now you can send my puppy to Juiz de Fora, Brasil please haha. Great article as always and awesome video.

• Liz September 27, 2013 at 4:52 am #

:) I’m shipping it now, should arrive in 3-6 months!

3. Colorado Gal September 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

That video was amazing! My boyfriend is getting into videography and he thought it was fantastic too :)

• Liz September 27, 2013 at 4:52 am #

Thanks! Glad you liked it!

4. Anita September 27, 2013 at 4:39 am #

Wow I love this video! The editor did a great job :) I’ve never been to Tuscany but it’s on my bucket list… hopefully next year

• Liz September 27, 2013 at 4:54 am #

Thanks Anita! He’s really talented! Will you be at Tbex? we’ll both be there :)

5. Soffía September 27, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Love the photos and the video! Tuscany seems like a wonderful place, would love to visit someday!

• Liz September 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

Thanks so much! Tuscany is really a great region

6. Jennifer September 27, 2013 at 11:42 am #

Love the video!

• Liz September 27, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks Jennifer! Will I be seeing you in Dublin?

7. Kayla Kiteley September 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

I loved that video! I too have dreamed if going to Tuscany. Your video made it seem as though it was the perfect place in the world! It is on my list of places to go!

• Liz September 27, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

It’s really a paradise :)

8. Pretired Nick September 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

Inspirational! I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Italy, but haven’t been to Tuscany yet. Definitely on my list.

• Liz September 27, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

I hope you make it there soon :)

9. Faye September 29, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

This look so magical. The video that you’ve made is truly beautiful, you have no reason to be camera shy at all! Tuscany is now very high up on my bucket list ;)

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

Aw thank you!

10. Chelsea September 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

This video literally made me tear up. Beautiful. Tuscany is definitely one of my top travel destinations. I’ve been to many places in Italy, but, exactly like you, have been putting Tuscany off until I know it will be near perfect!

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

I hear you! Don’t put it off too long :P

11. Lorenzo September 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

Lovely video, Liz!

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Grazie :)

12. Alex | Partial Parallax October 1, 2013 at 10:19 am #

Tuscany does indeed look like a wonderful place, I’m glad you finally confronted your fear of breaking the illusion and actually jumped in! It looks wonderful and yet again shows me why I need to visit Italy. The list of places to visit across the country is steadily growing so I should go before it gets too long!

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Go go go!!

13. Lindsay October 1, 2013 at 10:45 am #

Liz I LOVE this video! You and Tuscany look so purty in it :D I’ve spent extensive time traveling all over Italy, but definitely need to plan another trip there to focus just on Tuscany. Thanks for the renewed inspiration!

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

You’re most welcome!

14. YJ @ thefancyvoyager October 1, 2013 at 1:15 pm #

Fantastic video! I’ve been only to Florence and Siena but would love to visit the greater tuscany region out of the cities!

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

My favorite part was way out in the countryside :)

15. Christine October 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

That was freakin amazing! Yea, I have a way with words. :o)

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

haha yeah you do have a way with words

16. Amanda October 6, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Just found your blog and I absolutely love it and reading all your travel adventures! :)

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Thanks Amanda, hope you enjoy my blog :)

17. Lauren Meshkin @BonVoyageLauren October 8, 2013 at 2:13 am #

Ummm, this video is ridiculously beautiful and perfect. Congrats! Also, you’re quoting Hermione, now send me that free puppy.

Looking forward to many more videos in the future! Happy travels :)

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Puppy is on its way!

18. Hannah@GettingStamped October 8, 2013 at 2:34 am #

This got us thinking of where to explore Italy. And we are definitely torn between Tuscany, Florence, and the rest. This is really something to think about. Thanks for the insights. The pictures look great!

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm #

Head to Tuscany, Florence is amazing but my favorite part of Italy is out in the countryside

19. Jess @ Postcard Travelling October 8, 2013 at 4:05 am #

Liz, what a beautiful video-memory of your time in Tuscany!

Tuscany was also a place that I had high expectations of, like you, mostly built up from my countless viewings of Under the Tuscan Sun. When I was eighteen, my mum took me there as a graduation present and although it was only a short trip, everything about it was spectacular. We too visited Cortona and I feel in love with the town, the stone walls and the amazing surrounding views. We went in search of Bramasole with only a general idea of which direction to go and even though it took over an hour walking the steep countryside, with a little help from the locals, we eventually found it. Tuscany really is beautiful and it just takes your breath away. I’m so glad it lived up to your expectations and your video brought back so many memories for me. It had been my first trip to Europe and I hope to visit Italy again next year with fresh eyes. Having travelled on and off for the past 8 years, I look forward to seeing it again from a new perspective.

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

I missed Bramasole! I am determined to meet Frances Mayes in person one day :)

20. Eli October 8, 2013 at 8:43 pm #

Beautiful!! What camera did you use for that?

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

Emiliano uses a Canon 7D :)

21. Homeless Goomba October 9, 2013 at 8:39 am #

yo u iz sum hot white chick, lets find each other on fb and get ourselves a gd time yh ? drinks on me baby

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 2:09 pm #

hahahah sure :D

22. Christine October 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

Awesome video! And what a cool way to remember your time in Tuscany. Beautifully filmed and edited. We having been working on our video skills but it definitely takes time. Thanks for sharing this!

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

Emiliano is very talented, I was lucky to have him on board

23. Paige October 11, 2013 at 12:58 am #

From January to May of this year I studied in Florence and traveled around Italy and Europe and as beautiful as other places were something about going back to the Tuscany region always made me excited to go home (yes, I started calling Florence my home when I was there)! I absolutely love that region of Italy! Your video was beautiful, it made me miss that home so much that I started to cry =(

• Liz October 12, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Awww I hope you make it back home soon :)

24. Ella Coquine October 14, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Yes! Tuscany is definitely on my to-go list! We were supposed to go for our honeymoon but decided on California (coming already from Europe, it was a more exotic destination for us). This post just made me want to go sooner rather than later!

Excellent video and as always, thank you for feeding my wanderlust! xo.

• Liz October 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm #

:) Go channel your Italian roots haha

25. Nienke October 22, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Hi Liz, that video is absolutely gorgeous! So great to have met you a couple of times now, you’ve got a great spirit and talent and I wish you all the best with the rest of your travels. We’ll probably meet another time somewhere else in the world! xx

• Liz October 28, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

It was great to meet you too! I’m sure we’ll run into each other sooner rather than later somewhere in the world :)

1. Dreaming of Tuscany | eMiSeVen Media - September 30, 2013

[…] Read the full story here: http://youngadventuress.com/2013/09/d… […]

2. Autumn Instagram Update - Young Adventuress - December 1, 2013

[…] chance I get. I had a peek at the western side of Tuscany near Pisa last summer while shooting the Tuscany video, and I was eager to see more of this overlooked part of the […]