Channeling Your Inner Hobbit in New Zealand

visit hobbiton new zealand

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”

Few books over the years have inspired me quite like the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

While there is no denying the fact that I am an unabashed nerd from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, my love for Tolkien and these books has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it’s set in another world filled with magic and fairytale creatures. The reason this series resonates with me so strongly are the themes repeated throughout the thousands of pages of text.

Adventure. Courage. Optimism. Hope.

visit hobbiton new zealand

Finding the courage and strength within yourself to step away from the comforts of home in search of adventure. Endless optimism that things will work out and hope even in the face of overwhelming odds. But above all, I love the idea that even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

The heroes of these books are not the warriors or wizards, but the small, overlooked hobbits who are more often than not keen to stay in their comfortable hobbit holes and tend their gardens rather than go off exploring the world – but when the choice is presented to them in black and white, not only do they rise to the occasion but they are the ones who save the day!

Talk about inspirational!

Bag End – Bilbo and Frodo’s house

In spite of the hairy feet (ew, not cool Tolkien) I’d like to think that if I lived in Middle Earth, I would have been a hobbit. No shame.

The origins of my interest in New Zealand over a decade ago are based off of these books and movies, and now that my dreams are coming true, and I finally get to call this beautiful country home, there was one LOTR place above all I knew I had to visit first.

Hobbiton. Yes, it actually exists, and yes, you can visit there.

It didn’t talk long in New Zealand for me to channel my inner hobbit, and after all, what could be better than visiting the Shire?

So come with me on my journey to Middle Earth, starting with Hobbiton.

1. After a little hesitation, find your courage and sense of adventure

While I’ve always had a wild streak and an innate love for travel, my personality is totally divided in that I am also a creature of comfort who loves routine and the idea of a home. While I mean be a gigantic 5’4 on the outside, I’m a hobbit on the inside in many ways.

Hell, it took me 10 years to finally come to New Zealand! But what matters is that I am here now.

visit hobbiton new zealand

For me, and what I’m guessing for many of you, the hardest step you will ever take in terms of travel is the first one out the front door.

But like Frodo and Bilbo, it’s important to find within yourself the strength to leave the comforts of a “normal’ life and home and head out into the unknown. Whether that means going to NYC for a weekend or moving all the way to New Zealand like me, it’s up to you to define adventure.

But never forget, it’s also up to you take that first step.

2. Then come to New Zealand and head straight to Hobbiton

If I wasn’t buried under mountains of student loan debt, I would buy everyone a flight to New Zealand.

Let’s be honest here, the price of getting to New Zealand can be a big deterrent for a lot of people. I can rant until I am blue in the face why the flight is worth the cost ten times over, but I’ll save that for another day.

Now let’s imagine you’ve already arrived in New Zealand – you couldn’t stay away. Don’t worry, I know the feeling.

visit hobbiton new zealand

Once you are in the North Island, Hobbiton is pretty close to a lot of places and super easy to get to. Tucked in between Taupo, Rotorua, and Auckland, Hobbiton nowadays is found in a little place called Matamata aka the Shire.

You can’t miss it since it’s right off Buckland Road (for LOTR super fans, you’ll be pleased to hear that this road was named long before the movies came to town).

Rolling green hills dotted with, yes you guessed it, sheep, give way to beautiful farmlands sprinkled with winding roads. There is nowhere in New Zealand more Shire-esque than Matamata.

View Larger Map

3. Prepare to fall head over heels in love with Hobbiton

Once you walk through that stone pathway you realize instantly why hobbits rarely leave the Shire.

It’s magical. It’s peaceful. It’s beautiful.

visit hobbiton new zealand

Hobbiton is the kind of place that you want to retire to, raise your family in, write a novel or learn to paint. With sweeping views of the surrounding valleys, lush green grass and gardens that never end, and more cozy hobbit-holes than you could ever imagine, Hobbiton is paradise on earth.

You would need an awfully big adventure to lure you away from there.

4. Shoes are optional, costumes are encouraged

If you’re going to be a hobbit, it’s important to dress the part. Unfortunately I left my capri pants back in the 90’s so I had to make do with leggings and a tunic.

Lucky for me there were others around who were more prepared.

I think it’s safe to say next time I go to Hobbiton, I’ll be going as Frodo.

5. Find your favorite hole to call home

This is actually so much harder than it looks.

Wandering from one cozy, quaint and idyllic hobbit-hole to the next, I found myself saying outloud, “oh this is my favorite! No wait, THIS is my favorite! Nevermind, there’s Bag End – I’m moving in!”

Unfortunately real estate in the Shire doesn’t come cheap so you’ll have to move in fast or risk losing out on a grandiose underground den.

Wait, this one is DEFINITELY my favorite! What’s yours?

Recognize this house?

6. Love your garden and tend your flock

As Bilbo described hobbits in the Fellowship film – “for all hobbits share a love of things that grow.”

Country living at it’s finest, the bucolic nature of hobbits is none so evident as in their love for gardening. City slickers be warned, Hobbiton is so lovely because it’s so green and rustic and there’s not much going on unless Gandalf is in town with his fireworks. So fling your shoes off and go run around with the sheep.

And don’t forget your gardening tools.

7. Bring your appetite

If there is one thing hobbits love more than gardening, it’s food. In fact, this might be the giveaway that I was meant to be a hobbit.

With 6 round meals a day, it’s important to keep space in your tummy and lose notches in your belt when channeling your inner hobbit.

Breakfast – Second Breakfast – Elevenses – Luncheon – Afternoon Tea – Supper

visit hobbiton new zealand

Luckily there is a lovely cafe called the Shire’s Rest at Hobbiton where you can indulge in tea, cakes, coffee (thank heaven) and even second breakfasts and luncheons.

Finally, a lifestyle that encourages binge eating. This I can get behind!

8. It comes in pints?

What does it say about my personality that one of my favorite parts of Hobbiton was the pub?

Let’s not read too much into that but, getting to hang out inside the Green Dragon while sipping ginger beer and cider by a roaring fire pretty much rocked my socks off and solidified the fact that I need to figure out a way to move permanently to the Shire.

9. Don’t forget to share your stories and inspire others

Just as Bilbo inspired Frodo to leave the Shire, I am hoping to inspire some of you to come to Hobbiton one day too!

Sometimes I forget in my Tolkien nerdiness that not everyone realizes that Hobbiton is an actual place you can visit in New Zealand. For a long time you could visit the area where the Shire in the Lord of the Rings was filmed but the sets were long gone and you had to imagine everything.

But with the revival of the Hobbit movies in the past few years, they rebuilt the sets permanently so everyone can visit. Thank you Peter Jackson!

visit hobbiton new zealand

Since I overshare on a regular basis, it was standard business for me to upload an absurd amount of photos of Hobbiton on every social media channel possible.

And luck was on my side because without warning two days ago, Instagram shared my photo of Sam’s hobbit hole on their official pages, earning me a bazillion new stalkers followers and thousands of future hobbits questioning me how to get to the Shire as soon as possible.

At the risk of sounding incredibly cheesy, it was like fate. Like I’m supposed to be in Middle Earth, I mean New Zealand at this time in my life and everything is going to work out.

So don’t forget to share your adventures in the Shire! You never know what could happen.

10. Remember to leave Hobbiton in search of more adventures

You could easily stay in Hobbiton forever but the other adventures of New Zealand beckon you on.

Fellow hobbitses, I know how hard it is to leave Hobbiton in the Shire. Such a snug, unperturbed place never existed, and it took all my self-control not to grip the doors of the Green Dragon and be pulled kicking and screaming from Hobbiton.

Yeah, I could live there.

visit hobbiton new zealand

But just like so many great hobbits before you, life is about stepping out of your comfort zone and trying things you normally would stick your nose up at.

It’s not easy. Yeah, sometimes you get chased by dragons and hunted by orcs and get bit by giant spiders, but at the end of the day you will have unforgettable experiences and maybe even save the world, so it all works out right?

Hobbiton will always be there for you to come back to, remember that.

Did you know you could visit Hobbiton? Would you like to come here one day? Recognize any of these places from the movies? Spill – which Tolkien character would you be? A hobbit like me?

visit hobbiton new zealand

Many thanks to Hobbiton Tours for hosting me – like always I’m keeping it real, all opinions are my own – like you could expect anything less from me!

84 Responses to Channeling Your Inner Hobbit in New Zealand

1. Trevor Huxham December 18, 2013 at 2:44 am #

This is the coolest post ever, Liz!!! Not only did you perfectly describe this amazing tourist/nerd/fangirl destination (which looks exactly like it does in the movies), but you also incorporated a deeper message for all of us hobbits to make the first step out of the hobbit-hole door and begin an adventure. :)

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

beautifully put Trevor! That’s what I was going for :D

2. Kirsten December 18, 2013 at 2:50 am #

Ahhhh My parents are in NZ right now and saw the Desolation of Smaug there opening weekend(which I’m fairly certain is what my dad planned the trip around) and they’re going to Hobbiton in a few days! Needless to say I’m ridiculously jealous. My dad is such an lotr fan/nerd – I remember him making us all drive 3 hours to see Return of the King in theatres because the theatre in our little town didn’t get anything until a few weeks after it came out. He calls my mom a hobbit too because she’s super short and walks everywhere she can barefoot – so I’m glad to hear it’ shoes optional lol! I’m forwarding this to them for sure. Anyways, this was a super fun read :)

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Thanks! Also that is so cool that your parents love LOTR!

• Brie December 26, 2013 at 5:33 am #

Here in New Zealand shoes are pritty much optional everywhere. :)

• Liz January 3, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

yup, love it!

3. Agness December 18, 2013 at 3:11 am #

What!? It’s my dream come true destination!!! So lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

Hobbiton is amazing!

4. Ashley of Ashley Abroad December 18, 2013 at 4:08 am #

Oh my god this is amazing. And congrats on the Instagram photo!

I’m more of an elves person (did I really just type that?) so I would love if they made a Rivendell or Lorien set you could visit.

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm #

mahahaha love that you wrote that! You can visit some of the elvish spots here but the sets are gone :( I wish they could have left everything up!

5. Florence @MySaladDays December 18, 2013 at 5:13 am #

Lovely Hobbiton!

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

so so so lovely!

6. Hayley | LovePuffin Travels December 18, 2013 at 6:21 am #

Liz, this is awesome! I went past Hobbiton a few years ago and decided not to go in. How I have egg on my face now! Glad you loved it, can’t wait to see more NZ adventures, it’s my favourite country!

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

woah, wow now you have to come back!

7. Danica Martin December 18, 2013 at 6:26 am #

So cool that they actually left the set… must have known there would be movies 4 & 5!
    :) Danica

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

they didn’t leave the set, it was destroyed after LOTR though you could still visit the area and there were make shift hobbit holes. but then they rebuilt the set permanently for the hobbit, so cool!

• Danica Martin December 19, 2013 at 5:19 am #

Wow, didn’t realize that!
        So neat that you can even go inside the houses!
        :) Danica

• Liz December 20, 2013 at 2:01 am #

yeah you can peep inside a few, hobbiton is a great place to visit!

8. Kate December 18, 2013 at 6:42 am #

Oh these photos take me back!! I was in New Zealand in 2010 and have been longing to go back ever since I left. I swear, as a total nerd myself and NZ lover, Hobbiton was pretty much the most “right” place in the world and if I could just set up house there, I would become a real hobbit and never leave.

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

sounds like you and I are the same person

9. Kaelene December 18, 2013 at 7:05 am #

I didn’t know you could visit Hobbiton, it looks so beautiful and just as magical as it did in the movies! When I was living in Sydney I so badly wanted to go visit New Zealand, but with plane tickets being just as expensive as my round trip ticket from America to Australia my New Zealand adventure was put on hold. Hobbiton is now added to my travel bucket list though!

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

woah that’s nuts! actually there are so many deals for australia on grab a seat here in NZ, that it’s usually the same price to fly there as it is between islands here!

10. Sam December 18, 2013 at 10:53 am #

This is so beautiful: you actually made me cry, and I’m not sure I can explain why.

Like you, I’d definitely be a hobbit; the desire to be settled while also wanting to be out there exploring is something I struggle with too. Samwise would be too obvious a choice (and to be honest, I don’t think I’m as selfless and brave as him), so maybe Merry?

I’ll absolutely be visiting Hobbiton when my partner and I make it to New Zealand, and I’m so pleased to know you can actually visit the Green Dragon; that makes me happy!

Now I need to go curl up in an armchair somewhere and read the Lord of the Rings again.

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

OMG thank you for such a sweet comment!

I’d be pippin haha! The Green Dragon is amazing! Such a cool place! what am I saying, all of Hobbiton rocks!

11. Amanda December 18, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Ahhhh your photos are amazing! I SO need to re-visit Hobbiton!! I’ve actually been twice already, but both times were before they re-built it for the Hobbit movies. I WANT TO HAVE A DRINK IN THE GREEN DRAGON!!!

(And, we are definitely twinsies – I would totally be a hobbit, too.)

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

soon twin, soon!!

12. Rachel @ Hippie in Heels December 18, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

time to re-read the books. thanks for stealing my free time for the next few weeks with this! really looks great i want to see it one day

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

hahah I am rereading them too! Love it!

13. Julie @ A Life Exotic December 18, 2013 at 1:10 pm #

Your photos are insanely beautiful! I visited Hobbiton a few years ago when they were just beginning to reconstruct everything. There was still a definite hobbity vibe, but the doors weren’t on and the gardens weren’t planted or anything. I did have to sign a legal secrecy form because they hadn’t made the announcement that The Hobbit was happening yet, so that was cool consolation… but I’m totally jealous you got to see it all made up and lovely!

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

OMG you have to come back and see it now!

14. cheeesefries December 18, 2013 at 4:51 pm #

Ah, so jealous! I was there in ’06 none of the hobbit holes were decorated. Instead they just had white painted plywood where the doors once were and no landscaping or anything. Oh well, more reason for me to go back!

• Liz December 18, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

come back soon!

15. Chelsea Alventosa December 19, 2013 at 12:47 am #

Ah SO SO beautiful!!!! I was going to say that it looks like a fairy tale but that would be dumb because it literally is a fairy tale. That’s the kind of place I dreamed of as a kid, but never knew it existed in someone else’s brain so perfectly! I really should read the books… I’m a fan of the movies so it’s about time! Amazing photos, congrats on your instafame!

• Liz December 20, 2013 at 2:00 am #

thanks! yes, check out the books, they’re amazing!

16. Jennifer December 19, 2013 at 9:32 am #

I love all the photos of Hobbiton, it looks so quaint! I didn’t go to Hobbiton whilst I was in NZ, but I am going back to NZ for a wedding in 2015 so hoping I’ll visit then. 2015 seems such a long time away and I am missing NZ! Have you been the new film yet?

• Liz December 20, 2013 at 2:11 am #

I hope you get there in 2015! yes I saw the new movie before it came out with the WETA folks, so awesome!

17. A Southern Gypsy December 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

The fact that I can visit Hobbiton one day makes me so happy. Like you, I’m a complete nerd. Not sure when I’ll make it to NZ-maybe I should just go there after SE Asia next year, who knows!?

This post was wonderful though, seriously. :)

• Liz December 20, 2013 at 2:19 am #

yay thank you!

18. Bridget @ A Traveling B December 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

Well you have certainly inspired me to go there! Your photos are beautiful and the experience in and of itself seems amazing! Great information too, you really painted a picture of what it was like to visit!

• Liz December 20, 2013 at 2:21 am #

yay that makes me happy to hear!

19. Danielle December 19, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Think it’s one of your longest posts!!! Think that means you really love Tolkien, like me :D I hope to follow your steps, so far so good. We both fell in love with the movies and became nerdy geeks of Middle Earth. I’m one step behind: I still have to go to New Zealand and visit Hobbiton, and luckily actually move to New Zealand / Australia. Think this is my favourite post so far!! Seen all the pictures on Twitter, IG, Facebook and all your social media and every time I see any of them my heart just stops and melts at the beautiful site. Really glad you fulfilled your dream after so long :D Lots of love, Dan! Ps. Sorry, as appealing as it may sound to be a Hobbit… Not for me. I’d be an elf. Oh how I wish Rivendell was a place you could visit like Hobbiton :(

• Liz December 20, 2013 at 2:30 am #

I know, I wish I could visit Rivendell too!

20. Melanie Fontaine December 20, 2013 at 7:59 am #

Hobbiton is definitely one of the places I want to visit when I finally make it to New Zealand! Which at the rate things are going hopefully isn’t too long anymore! :) I’m a huge LotR nerd as well, so NZ is sort of my dream destination and I really love reading about it on your blog!

• Liz January 4, 2014 at 3:33 am #

Sounds like New Zealand will be perfect for you!

21. amelie88 December 21, 2013 at 1:17 am #

Hah, my favorite line “I left my capris back in the 90s!” Still a wardrobe staple of mine, though I wouldn’t wear any hobbit type of capris, as cute as they look on hobbits, I don’t think they would look good on 5’6″ me!

The picture of the house with the mill on the river with the straw thatched roof reminds me so much of Normandy, you see that kind of house all over the countryside. Really great post and your passion and enthusiasm for these books really comes through here. Even though I’ve never read the books, I would probably love visiting this place too (I was more of a Chronicles of Narnia girl though I still have yet to read all those books, I think I reread The Magician’s Nephew a few hundred times in elementary school).

• Liz January 4, 2014 at 3:39 am #

New Zealand really is another world, I definitely recommend visiting!

22. D. Robert Pease December 21, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Thank you so much for such a beautiful write-up. I have always been a LOTRs fan, and also have dreamed of going to New Zealand. This was long before the two were wed together so beautifully in the movies. One question, can you go inside Bag End? Or is it just a facade?

• Liz January 4, 2014 at 3:41 am #

It goes a little ways inside but normally you can’t go in :(

23. Shelli December 22, 2013 at 2:39 am #

I am so jealous. I want to travel the world, but have horrible travel anxiety. I am afraid of heights (can’t fly there). I am afraid of drowning/being eaten by fish (can’t take a boat there). I am afraid of death basically. LOL So I travel in my mind by reading blogs like this. Thanks for taking all of us with you. I would make a horrible Hobbit, but I would still love give it a go, if I could just get over there!

• Liz January 4, 2014 at 3:41 am #

Glad I could bring you along for the journey :)

24. Ruth December 22, 2013 at 7:29 am #

i went to Hobbiton earlier this year, and yes, I didn’t want to go ‘home’ either. i wanted to stay at the Green Dragon for a pint with a Hobbit, and plan my Wedding in the garden outside, and sleep in my Hobbit hole….

• Liz January 4, 2014 at 3:45 am #

yep, sounds about right

25. Benedicte December 22, 2013 at 10:38 am #

Woah Liz that was an amazing reading, I recently bought my tickets for NZ and will be over for 5 weeks from the beginning of July. I can so identify with everything you say and what you felt I truly hope to feel too. To be honest you almost brought me to tears. I was looking forward to my NZ adventures but am even more excited about bringing 4″10 little me over to Hobbiton, sit at the Green Dragon and have that ale. Thank you so much this.

• Liz January 4, 2014 at 3:47 am #

lovely, thank you so much! I am glad you enjoyed my little tale. Sounds like you’ll fit right in in Hobbiton

26. Nelson Mochilero December 22, 2013 at 11:30 am #

Wonderful post Liz. I was looking at the video blogs yesterday and they said the this is the second reconstruction of the Shire. The first one was only made from disposable materials.
    Is great to have the opportunity to visit the place in person.
    cheers!

• Liz January 4, 2014 at 3:48 am #

It is such a neat place to visit!

27. Jess December 24, 2013 at 1:32 am #

This post really hit home for me as my boyfriend and I are moving to Wellington in 23 days and I have never gone on such a big adventure before. I had just finished packing up my last box and sat down at my computer to relax when I saw Weta Workshop had tweeted this post. Reading “Finding the courage and strength within yourself to step away from the comforts of home in search of adventure. Endless optimism that things will work out and hope even in the face of overwhelming odds.” really captured everything I had been feeling just a few minutes before.

It’s odd, ever since we began planning for this move your blog has been coming up in various Google searches. First with “5 Things No One Tells You about Moving Abroad” which I found so immensely helpful that I bookmarked it and kept returning to re-read. Then I was shocked when it came up again a month later after our moving plans were solidified, that time it was your blog post about your upcoming move to New Zealand. And now you’re popping up in my Twitter feed!

I don’t know if you will be in Wellington when we arrive, but if you are we’d love to take you out for coffee or something. You have been so incredibly helpful and inspirational, thank you so much for this blog.

• Liz January 3, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

woah it’s like fate! I am so glad you can relate to it! I am in WEllington at least til Feb. 1, will you arrive before then? I’d love to meet up – send me a message and we can schedule something :)

28. Julian December 29, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

Great blog and awesome pics! We went a couple of days ago and were thrilled at how it all looked, and felt. It was like stepping into the movie.. everything was perfect. They even employee 5 full time gardners now to keep the grounds Hobbit like. If you have been before all the recent recreations, its worth another trip. We even sat in the same seats you took pics of in the Green Dragon, lol… I didn’t want to leave!! I can recommend, if anyone is daring to go on their own Hobbiton adventure, that you book online for the tours during busy times, and also leave from Matamata township (Visitor centre) as they have recently done up the centre to look very LOTR ( http://www.matamatanz.co.nz/Events/Matamata-i-SITE-and-Gatehouse-Opening/Gallery ) and the trip in the big green buses is worth it as well (same price as leaving from the Shire store). They also drop you at the Shire store on the way back to grab some souvenirs which has only recently been completed as well!

• Liz January 3, 2014 at 8:47 pm #

great tips thanks!

29. Leland C January 2, 2014 at 2:19 am #

Liz, a really wonderful story and adventure! It’s unbelievable just how *green* Hobbiton looks. I’m commenting here mainly just to let you know that I recreated the trip on Wishbeen I thought it might be more useful then just the plain google maps image you added to your article!

Oh, also.. what sort of food can you get at the Green dragon? Does it have a full on grill or is it mainly just beverages?

Thanks for the article. :)

• Liz January 4, 2014 at 3:50 am #

Thanks for the tip! The Green Dragon is mostly drinks and snacks, but at the entrance there’s the Shire’s Rest which has a full menu, including second breakfast :D

• Leland C January 6, 2014 at 3:03 am #

Thanks Liz. Eating like a Hobbit is great. :)

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 3:41 am #

I always eat like a hobbit :D

30. Monica Stott (@TheTravelHack) January 3, 2014 at 5:01 am #

This sounds amazing! I’m pretty sure I’d make a good Hobbit too – 6 meals a day, yes please!

I wasn’t really into the Lord of the Rings books but I’ve loved the Hobbit so I think it’s time to give them a go!

• Liz January 3, 2014 at 9:22 pm #

They have a really good message, love them :)

• Elora January 8, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

Ha, I just realized something, looking at your name–the guy that plays Balin–his last name is Stott! Ken Stott. How cool? Are you possibly related to a loveable dwarf? ;)

31. Francis Villarente January 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

Hi Liz,
    I love your post! I also dream of being able to go to New Zealand because of hobbiton. Seeing your post rekindled my inner hobbit that unfortunately, got lost because of the fast paced environment we live in. I will start saving for this journey and when I finally have the courage to step outside my front door, I will let you know. I’m pretty sure once I get to the place tears will roll out of my eyes but what the heck right? I’m so happy for you. This article really started my year right. https://www.facebook.com/francispaolo.villarente

Cheers!

32. Elora January 8, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

Oh WOW! Another travel-lover who loves Tolkien! (Not that I’ve been able to travel much–mostly to California and Alabama)! I was just giddy when I saw your Hobbiton post. I got a “recommendations” when I followed another travel blog, and when I saw the link to the Hobbiton post I was so excited. Very happy I found you! (Now I’ve got Gollum’s line “Very lucky we find you” going through my head). It’s great that you’re able to move to New Zealand. Lucky girl! Hobbiton is obviously on my travel list. Every time I watch The Hobbit or Fellowship I’m like, “OH! I’m going to have to go over there someday, hold one of the gardeners at gunpoint, and make them tell me the name of every single flower in the Shire. I must have them all! So beautiful!” I’m a fanatic gardener. So needless to say, when I was introduced to Middle Earth by the movies, I fell in love with the gardens too. I love the country. I really hope I’ll be able to get there more sooner than later. I’m suffering. ;D

Best of luck!!

Oh, and by the way, I’d likely go as…a mix. Perhaps Thorin’s coat, Sting at my side, a bit of Elvish gear, and of course just wearing my hair down. Very elven and natural. ;D I’m lucky to have long curly hair. Or maybe I should try growing hair on my toes…. Ha ha!

33. Sarah January 22, 2014 at 7:20 pm #

Wow, this looks so cool. I live up in Auckland, but I’ve never been able to go. Hmm, maybe for my birthday… :) Go LoTR.

• Liz January 23, 2014 at 3:28 am #

You’re so close, you have to go!

34. wanderingeducators January 28, 2014 at 4:37 am #

LOVE, love, love, LOVE this. Your photos are amazing, your article is funny – you’ve inspired me to go!

• Liz January 28, 2014 at 1:30 pm #

Yay! That’s what I like to hear!

35. Julie K. January 31, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

The tour of Hobitton was one of the highlights during of trip to New Zealand! I´m the biggest fan the LOTR trilogy and all that´s Tolkien so actually stepping into his world was beyond words. We had a great guide who was really knowledgeable and had lots of interesting info about behind the scenes of the filming of the movies. And at the end we even got the complimentary beer at the Green Dragon which was a very nice touch, too.

• Liz February 1, 2014 at 12:59 pm #

LOved the green dragon!!

36. PurpleTravelKate February 19, 2014 at 5:00 am #

I love, love, love this! I’ve been trying to convince my Tolkein-mega-fan dad to visit New Zealand for this reason, I think your pics will help. :)

37. Jennifer February 26, 2014 at 2:00 am #

This place looks adorable! I must admit that I’ve never read – or watched – LOTR, but I’d still love to visit Hobbiton.

38. Jessica February 28, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

Oh my god – let me start off by saying, wow. Love, love, love this! You are not only an inspiration, but you manage to stay completely true to yourself, honest with your followers and stress the importance of just getting that first foot out the door! Travel is incredible, and for those of us who have that wanderlust, it is a hard thirst to satisfy! I too am a huge Tolkien fan, (although I would probably be more on the elvish side as well, although second breakfast, elevenses and afternoon teas would make me amazingly happy haha) and have finally made my plans to visit New Zealand next february! It will be for a nursing school placement, but I am hoping to spend a copious amount of time afterwards exploring and quenching my thirst for adventure! That ginger beer by the fireside in the Green Dragon sounds good to me! Thank you for sharing your stories… I am still reading over most of your posts, but you have most certainly encouraged my inner “adventuress” through your blog. It is never too early or too late to start your journey.. and I plan to start mine asap! Keep up the amazing adventuring! :)

39. dragon city cheat March 27, 2014 at 7:05 am #

Rather portion of written content. I located your internet-site plus accession capital to say which i find essentially cherished bank account a person’s blog page articles. Anyways I shall be opt-in for the for as well as My spouse and i achievement you actually obtain consistently rapid.

40. Nitin Bothra April 5, 2014 at 5:55 am #

Hey this is the ultimate post I’ve ever seen.

I always thought that The Shire was created in a film studio. But thanks to your discovery we finally know where the Baggins lived.

Thank You very much.

41. Gina May 27, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

I’ve been *incredibly* blessed to work for and become friends with Mr. Sean “Samwise” Astin this year, and thus I’ve made it a mission/nerdgoal to send him a photo of his hobbit hole when I get to Hobbiton, NZ. November 2014! I’m worried I’ll never leave when I get there!

P.S. them filming Hobbiton just off Buckland road is basically the best thing in the world.

1. Best Reads: December 2013 : Indefinite Adventure - January 4, 2014

[…] Chaneling Your Inner Hobbit in New Zealand from Young Adventuress […]

2. 5 quirky and unusual weekend escapes in the UK | The Travel Hack - February 25, 2014

[…] since I read about visiting The Hobbit in New Zealand on Young Adventuress, I’ve become a little bit obsessed. I’m not even a Lord of the Rings fan […]

3. Glamping on Kapiti Island and becoming a #BirdNerd - July 5, 2014

[…] know all the popular spots for foreign visitors – Rotorua, Hobbiton, Queenstown, Milford Sound. But what I really wanted to find were the places loved by locals. Where […]