How not to blow all your money traveling in Iceland

iceland travel budget

Check out my buddy/fellow blogger/blog helper Jessica of Curiosity Travels latest post about how to travel Iceland and not blow all your money. It’s been over a year since I was in Iceland with Tiny Iceland and I can safely say, I put plenty of these tips into practice when I was there in order to not break the bank!

There’s no way around it, Iceland is an expensive country. While I was planning my trip, I didn’t have the cash to be splurging– I was visiting on the tail-end of savings while making a less than desirable amount freelance writing.  Still, I knew I had to visit before I left Europe.

To make it work, I forced myself to find budget solutions wherever possible.  Luckily, this strategy worked and when I checked my bank account at the end of the trip it wasn’t as devastating as I thought it would be.  In fact, the amount was comparable to any other week long vacation around Europe.

So if you want to visit but are afraid it will be completely out of your price range, fear not! Here are a few foolproof strategies to make your Iceland dreams more attainable.

1. Visit through a stopover

One of the easiest ways to reduce the costs of visiting Iceland is to not buy a flight at all.  In order to do this, visit during a time when you’re already planning on flying between Europe and North America. While this might not be feasible for everyone, it’s a great solution for those of us who travel often.

Icelandair offers great prices for flights in between the two continents, and also allow free stopovers in Iceland for up to seven nights. Woo!

iceland travel budget

You can also create your own stopover like I did.  I flew from London to Reykjavik for only $80 via Wizz Air, then 7 days later I flew from Reykjavik to Los Angeles with a stopover in Seattle with Icelandair.  In total, the flight cost me around $700, which was about the same price as other routes during the month of December.

An added plus to all of this? Flights from Reykjavik to North America fly over the Arctic, making them strangely short. A flight from Iceland to Seattle has a flight time of only six and a half hours!

2. Visit during the winter

Detailed in this article I’ve written for Liz, visiting Iceland in winter has many benefits. Luckily, one of them is the lower costs.  From tour prices to accommodation, you can save a fair percentage by just visiting in the off-season.

Although you’ll trade the moss covered landscapes for snow and less hours of light, you’ll get epic sunsets, less crowds and (hopefully) the Northern Lights in return.

3. Sacrifice your healthy eating habits

Although this isn’t optimal for most people, if you can let go of healthy foods while in Iceland, you’ll be able to save a lot.  Eating in restaurants and buying fresh food can be very expensive, and you’ll reach and then exceed your budget fast.  In order to eat inexpensively, you’ll have to opt for fast food or supermarket frozen meals, sorry.

For a quick meal, the typical Icelandic gas station hot dog is a popular choice, and it isn’t bad. Trading a sit-down lunch for a hot dog could mean a savings of $20.  Also, if you have a kitchen available, frozen pizzas might be the most cost efficient meal, especially if you split it with one other person or save the leftovers.

iceland travel budget

Of course, not many of us can survive on frozen pizza and hot dogs for an entire week. I found the Noodle Station in Reykjavik to be both delicious and cost efficient. I also wanted to try some of Iceland’s traditional dishes while in the country so I did so by ordering them in the form of an appetizer. This allowed me to have something unique without surpassing my budget for the day.

Of course, an hour or so later I was hungry again and chowed down on a cheap snack.

4. Fill all the seats in your rental car

There’s no better way to see Iceland than by car. Renting a vehicle and taking on the open road leads to astonishing views that you’d swear weren’t real.  Still, especially if you are driving the entire ring road, the cost of petrol adds up quickly.

In order to cut costs, split the trip with as many people as possible. While this might be difficult for solo travelers, it is a benefit to traveling to the country in a group.  If you do happen to be alone, you might get lucky and meet someone who wants to join like I did.

5. Don’t drink alcohol

Even though Icelanders love a good drink (or 5), the price of alcohol in the country is enormous. Carrying up to a 50% tax, you’ll be hard pressed to find a beer for under $3.50 per bottle from a liquor store. Head to the bars for a big night out and you can easily walk away with a $100 bar tab.

Although Reykjavik is one of the best cities for nightlife in Northern Europe, it’s just something you’ll have to skip if you are short on cash. While I enjoyed a few drinks at a pub and purchased a variety of Icelandic beers from the liquor store one night, that’s as far as my drinking in the country went.  If you cut out drinking completely, you’ll save yourself loads.

6. Bring a reusable water bottle

Iceland has some of the cleanest water in the world. For that reason, why not take advantage and drink from the tap?

While the hot water comes from the hot springs and may have traces of sulphur in it, resulting in an eggy smell, rest assured the cold water is very clean.  If you pack a reuseable water bottle with you on your trip you’ll never need to waste money on the bottled version!

7. Couchsurf

A website designed for travelers to meet locals and stay in their house (usually on their couch) for free, I was always nervous to try it out Couch Surfing in other countries. It was when I noticed the high accommodation prices in Reykjavik that I was finally motivated to try it out.

After a search through the website, I found a couple who was offering up their spare bedroom to couchsurfers.  I messaged them, and since we had a lot of travels in common, they invited me to stay. I was already grateful for a free room, but a few days before I arrived I received a surprising message.  They told me they were going on a last minute trip and wouldn’t be able to show me around.  Regardless, I could still stay at their house and they would leave the door unlocked. (Yes, really!)

iceland travel budget

For the next six nights, I had their three bedroom house in Reykjavik’s city center all to myself. When I left, I wrote them a note and gave them some saffron from Spain, a small price to pay for a week’s free accommodation!

While my story is a very lucky one, there are still loads of people in Reykjavik who would offer up their couch to help out a budget oriented traveler. You’ll also probably get a free tour guide with the deal, so you can’t beat that!

8. Or…stay in an apartment with friends

While of course this isn’t as cost effective as a free couch, staying in an apartment with friends in Iceland will save you money in a few ways.  For one, being able to cook your own food and split the costs with others will save a lot.

Also, staying at an apartment gives you a nice cozy place to retreat to at the end of the day. Instead of cruising the bars and continuously spending money, hang out with friends in your apartment for free.

9. Skip the Blue Lagoon

Most people who visit Iceland will be stopping by the famous Blue Lagoon at one point. While it is a nice place to spend a few hours, it comes with a 35 euro entrance fee (45 in summer).  This is the most basic fee, without drinks or towel rental.

Like most tourist attractions, they sometimes turn out to be overrated and aren’t for everyone. If you aren’t one to get excited about soaking and relaxing in a hot spring, don’t feel bad if you skip it.  If you do decide to go, make the most of your time there and make sure to stay for at least a few hours.

10. Something to remember

Of course, the last thing you want to do is visit Iceland and miss out on everything because you wanted to save money. Just choosing a few of the above could save you hundreds during your visit.  The key is balancing a few sacrifices with opening up your budget when you deem it necessary.

Still, in my opinion visiting Iceland on a budget is better than never having visited at all– it’s such an incredible place!

iceland travel budget

About the author: Jessica is Liz’s VA, an over-thinker, a spicy food lover and a serial expat. She has studied and worked in South America, taught English in Korea and Spain, and backpacked through Asia. Follow along as she balances travel and 20-something life all on her blog, CuriosityTravels.org. She also shares her current travel adventures on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter.

83 Responses to How not to blow all your money traveling in Iceland

1. Stephen Jones - A Thousand Miles March 11, 2015 at 10:45 pm #

A very informative post! I’d heard that Iceland is very expensive, and had never even considered the stopover option, when it came to flights. Good choice on Couchsurfing. I’ve not used them, yet, but have my account ready to roll!

Do you have any idea how friendly Iceland would be for someone who may want to get around by bicycle? That’s going to be my preferred mode of travel around the world. The only road I know about is the ring road, seen on many an episode of Top Gear!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:18 pm #

I know of a fair amount of people traveling by bike, I’m sure you’d be fine!

• Samantha May 24, 2015 at 12:08 am #

That’s how I’m planning to do it…with ‘wild camping’ (aka being able to stop off basically where you want so long as you’re not on someone’s personal property or right next to a paying campsite) so readily available, I’m planning on bringing my tent and pack and renting a bike from Reykjavik. It’s one of the most beautiful places on the planet and I wouldn’t want to miss seeing the northern lights through the sky window by being in a hotel.

From what friends who have made similar journeys have told me, they are very welcoming to hikers, campers, and bicyclists, with the same general expectations of cyclists as you would find elsewhere– don’t be an idiot, don’t hog the road, and adhere to common road laws.

Good luck!

• Bee June 24, 2015 at 6:31 pm #

I am heading there in September, planning to wild camp, a bike around before ferrying to Scotland. 🙂

2. Camille March 11, 2015 at 11:40 pm #

This is great advice! I had kind of stored Iceland away for later in life when I’m more financially stable. Perhaps I could give it a go earlier than planned.

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:18 pm #

Totally!

3. Rouven March 12, 2015 at 1:14 am #

Good tips! Though I personally think of winter as the best time to visit Iceland, it’s not always the cheapest, depending on your way of travel. The costs for a rental car will most likely rise: You need a bigger car, a 4×4, that means more gas etc.. Shoulder season like mid-September to October can be much cheaper and the prices of accommodations don’t vary a lot to winter season.

I think eating in restaurants is by far the most stressful thing for your budget. Compared to Europe, maybe apart from Norway, Switzerland, and Luxembourg, the prices are astronomically high.

I agree especially to your last point. A lot of great things in Iceland are free, others that are also great will cost you some bucks – but they’re worth it. A visit to a glacier cave or ice climbing is something you won’t forget your whole life.

And a last thought: Regarding the rising tourism in Iceland and it’s consequences I wonder if it’s not a good thing that Iceland is still expensive. It’s not meant as some kind of exclusive thing, but it’s better for the country, for it’s people, and it’s economy, if it’s not crowded with millions of people. Many Icelanders already feel that their country is taken away from them, beautiful places are crammed with tourists, local people don’t visit the pools anymore during summer because there are too many visitors. In the long term, I think, prices will go up again to the level before 2008. Better visit now :=)

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

great points, I think you can’t really equate the prices to the amount of tourists. tourism is exploding there, and now the question becomes how to keep things ethical and clean and promoting the “right” kind of tourism

4. Andrea March 12, 2015 at 1:38 am #

With the influx of affordable airline options (and the increase of wanderlust-inducing posts like this) Iceland is the new travel trend- summer or otherwise. It is also one that I would very much like to take part in! I’ve heard mixed things about the Blue Lagoon, but I’d probably do it anyway if just to say that I did. Great tips, that I hope to use in the near future!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

5. Sky March 12, 2015 at 2:01 am #

Iceland has been on my dream trip list for a while now. I’ve just never found the chance to go. Thanks for these tips, hopefully I can put them into use soon. Shame that alcohol and food are so expensive!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:21 pm #

yeah it’s a bummer

6. antonette March 12, 2015 at 3:16 am #

The rate for Blue Lagoon has gone up for € 45,- for the summer 🙁 I’m visiting Iceland for the 6th time in June but with a friend who is going for the first time … and she wants to visit Blue Lagoon. So I can hardly say no. A local friend of mine introduced me to a great spot where you can bathe in the hot river for free: http://www.we12travel.nl/hiking-in-reykjadalur/

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

There are dozens of free hot pools around Iceland, or cheaper ones too

7. A Lady in London March 12, 2015 at 3:17 am #

Good tips! Visiting on a layover is a really helpful way to save money there. I skipped the Blue Lagoon on my first trip, but went on my second and loved it. It’s worth a splurge!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:21 pm #

I might go next time I’m there

8. Alex March 12, 2015 at 5:22 am #

Thanks for the tips! Definitely good to keep in mind. Iceland has been on my list for years…I remember Liz’s post about the elves in Iceland as well, so I’m secretly hoping to meet one 😉 Hopefully later this year!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:22 pm #

Hahahah chase them!

9. Sebastian Jay March 12, 2015 at 7:39 am #

Thanks for the advice! I’ll be going to Iceland on a stopover in June, my ticket was under $600 from Amsterdam to Minneapolis. It’ll be the last leg of my trip. Super excited

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:22 pm #

That’s awesome, you’re going to love it!

10. Olivia March 12, 2015 at 8:01 am #

These are some really beautiful pictures (and great tips!) I’ve been meaning to go to Iceland for years – literally. I just never seem to find the right moment, but this post has made me really want to make it happen this year!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:22 pm #

wahoo!

11. Annalisa March 12, 2015 at 12:34 pm #

Good to know. I’ll try to stick to your advice. Iceland is a land I really want to visit. Finger crossed

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:23 pm #

It’s all kinds of amazing!

12. Sarah March 12, 2015 at 1:11 pm #

Great post! Some places you travel to for different reasons and I would visit Iceland mostly to enjoy the natural scenery so all this is valuable.

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:23 pm #

so amazing there!

13. Anna March 12, 2015 at 1:38 pm #

Brilliant! I knew about the cheap-o IcelandAir flights, but I didn’t realize that the flights between West Coast USA and Reykjavik are so short! Adding Iceland to my list for later this year.

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

yeah its super short!

14. Michelle | Lights Camera Travel March 12, 2015 at 3:45 pm #

Some really great advice here! Though I’m a die hard foodie and could never sacrifice healthy eating… or least, good quality food eating! Also the blue lagoon. I love hot springs!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

there are a lot of beautiful hot pools around Iceland that are free

15. Antonina March 13, 2015 at 12:05 am #

Very useful tips. If I ever get to this beautiful country, I’ll definitely remember them!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:25 pm #

thanks!

16. De'Jav March 13, 2015 at 2:41 am #

Great pieces of advice definitely enjoy your directness like eating habits. Hopefully I’ll be able to make it to Iceland and use some of these.

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:25 pm #

thanks!

17. Bruno B. March 13, 2015 at 5:41 am #

I was about to go to Iceland this March but ended up going elsewhere due to the costs of the trip, so I find this an original and informative post. The eating habits are particularly straight to the point. Still, I’d be willing to do everything but not going to the Blue Lagoon!

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:26 pm #

next time!

18. Haley March 13, 2015 at 6:10 pm #

Liz,

I really enjoy reading through your articles. As a fellow female traveler (girl power!), you’ve visited places that are high on my “must see” list, Iceland most definitely included.

I’ll be taking down some notes from your website when I make it to these places. Thanks for the tips—you have a great writing style!

— Haley

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:28 pm #

thanks!

19. Katelyn @ Diaries of a Wandering Lobster March 14, 2015 at 12:31 pm #

I’m heading to Iceland in October and I can’t wait! I purchased one of those dirt-cheap WOW Air flights. Roudtrip with baggage cost be a womping $380! 🙂

Great tips that I will definitely be using in October! I’m crossing my fingers that I get to see the Northern Lights.

• Liz March 14, 2015 at 2:30 pm #

woah that’s awesome!

20. Sandrine March 17, 2015 at 1:28 am #

Good tips, as usual, thank you for all, especially the way to pay less : doing couch surfing. But isn’t it a little boring to avoid alcohol and eat only in fast foods ?

• Liz March 17, 2015 at 3:53 pm #

you’ll save a lot of money that way but to each his own

21. Leonie March 17, 2015 at 1:58 am #

Iceland looks so beautiful!!

• Liz March 17, 2015 at 3:53 pm #

it really is!

22. Natasha March 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm #

Liz,

I have no idea what I googled to find your amazing blog, I’m so glad I stumbled upon it though. You are an absolute inspiration. I have been “stuck” reading your stories… ALL the way through…for hours. Usually I get to a blog and I just look at the pictures but no, yours is perfect… may I say the best….?! You are real, you care, you ARE witty (I also love your sarcasm) and beautiful! You are so lucky 😉 (haha just kidding…you have worked very hard and been through a lot). I recently made a decision to live in Colombia and leave Canada. Reading your stories and mulling them over I feel a lot better about my decision… everyone I know has been asking me when I will return to Canada and I say “I have no idea, I might not come back.” I know it’s the right decision for me but sometimes it’s hard when society pressures you into one way of living. I tried that way and it’s not for me, and you make me feel like I’m not alone and that I HAVE made the right decision. So THANKS! And stay awesome!!

• Liz March 20, 2015 at 7:31 pm #

thanks for such an amazing comment, you made my day!

23. Rahman @ Iran Tours March 23, 2015 at 9:21 am #

As always, your detailed info about the destination you introduce makes me feel that you’re an insider who has got plenty of experience traveling up and down a destination. Thanks for the interesting post!

• Liz March 23, 2015 at 8:49 pm #

cheers!

24. Olga March 30, 2015 at 6:27 am #

Great tips! And that house covered in grass is sooo pretty!

25. Ed March 31, 2015 at 4:51 pm #

Accommodation in summer is not too bad, plenty of backpackers and reasonably priced options, and there is always camping. If you don’t book, just make sure you find your accommodation earlyish in the afternoon.
    As mentioned food is the scary bit. “fresh” vegetables are not great and expensive, restaurants Yeow, but there are ways to keep it low. In Reykjavik last summer there was a soup van near the cathedral that did a great meal quite cheap, and there is a GREAT bakery nearby. If you are not going into the mountains, little hire cars aren’t too bad price wise, just not great for some of the unsealed roads.
    But its ICELAND, where else do you get an experience of landscape like it. Hang the expense. GO

26. Sharm March 31, 2015 at 10:13 pm #

A friend mentioned trying to visit Iceland this year (October) – and I was seriously doubting that I could do it what with my country’s devaluing currency… 🙁
    Will have a look at it again taking the points into account and see if it can be squeezed into this year’s budget.

• Liz April 1, 2015 at 3:48 pm #

it can definitely be done on a budget!

27. Jaharn Giles April 17, 2015 at 3:46 pm #

Liz this is super helpful! I’m going to Iceland late September for a personal holiday (woo hoo!) and this is one of the best Iceland posts I’ve come across online. Do you think there is potential to see snow that early into Autumn? I hope so! Anyway, thank you so much for a great post as always! Xx

28. NZ Muse April 21, 2015 at 9:51 pm #

Personally we skipped the blue lagoon and have no regrets – we really aren’t hot pool people. Did drive by and see some of the runoff water nearby with our own eyes – it really is that electric hue!

Reykjavik was one of the first places we couchsurfed and were SO amazed at the generosity of our hosts – their young son gave up his bedroom for us.

We also found people via Couchsurfing who came along on our Golden Circle day trip – seat filling + gas money FTW.

29. Same Day Agra Tour by Train April 28, 2015 at 11:35 pm #

This is so young adventures for provide this blog definitely full of some beautiful traveling spots, to seeing in the budgets in tourists for travels trip in Iceland……………….Thanks

30. Service Apartments in Malaysia May 19, 2015 at 10:02 pm #

Thanks for sharing blot listings, it’s really nice traveling trip for Jessica of Curiosity Travels in Ice-cold, tour in every tourists for budget……….I like it.

31. Marina May 23, 2015 at 4:16 am #

Thanks for the tips! Where is the waterfall in #8? 🙂

32. Katie @ Katie Wanders May 26, 2015 at 3:43 pm #

I feel like visiting Iceland got so trendy all the sudden! I never heard a word about it and then the past few years everyone and their mother is in Iceland! Maybe thats why its so expensive. It is high on my list now too and I will remember these tips when I plan a trip!

Katie @ http://www.KatieWanders.com

33. Leigha May 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks for all the tips! I was looking at going to Iceland. How many days would you recommend staying in Reykjavik? I want to see beyond the capital as well.

34. Same Day Agra Tours June 21, 2015 at 12:46 am #

It is awesome travels blog to be famous destination in few month to comes the Tourists. Mostly comes the travelers in visit for this blog. This is very affordable to the cheapest budgets in the Full exploring in Iceland………..Thanks for blog posts!

35. Andrea July 17, 2015 at 5:21 pm #

thanksfor this post! I’ll be in Iceland for a few days in September. A must do for me is glacier lagoon and south iceland to see black sand beach, the plane wreck, and two waterfalls but each tour was about $200! So i’m considering renting a car for the price of 1 tour and just driving there. But i’d be doing it solo. Hopefully I’ll meet someone that will want to take the ride with me!

36. Karen July 22, 2015 at 7:37 am #

This was an awesome post– thanks so much for sharing!!! I am traveling to Iceland in late September and really looking forward to it. I certainly will use some of your tips!

I have one question for you– could tell me where the red house with the grass growing on the side is located? Is that the house you stayed in while “couch surfing”?

37. Ragna Jenny July 24, 2015 at 2:19 pm #

I´m from Iceland and it was very entertaining reading this post and all the comments. 🙂

38. One day agra tour July 28, 2015 at 9:56 pm #

Thanks for great postings, this is best budget traveling in Iceland to the Young Adventures!

39. Sharon S. July 31, 2015 at 7:57 am #

Thank you for the good tips. The hubs and I will be in Iceland in just over a month on our way back from Europe, and I’m so excited. I’ve wanted to go to Iceland since I was a little girl and had friends who had lived there when their dads were in the US Navy. Iceland, here I come!!

40. Budget Hotel in Agra August 11, 2015 at 6:04 pm #

Great Blog Comments!

41. JennieM November 22, 2015 at 12:51 am #

Wow, from the pictures posted here, looks like you had a wonderful time. I am also planning to go to Iceland, your tips and advice will definitely be useful, thanks 🙂

42. paulbroad November 25, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

You have wonderful photos in your post! I love the styling, colors, and emotions evoked in every picture. I loved learning about Ice land, since it has been of interest to me for a future travel adventure. I enjoyed reading your post.

43. Budget Home Stay in Agra January 24, 2016 at 12:12 am #

Great Posts, thanks for providing the best and budget travel Iceland enjoying for the tourists!

44. Michael March 16, 2016 at 1:04 am #

I found it nearly impossible not to blow my mind… or stop myself saying ‘WOW’ all the time in Iceland. It is incredible

45. Jose March 28, 2016 at 3:31 pm #

I am planning to go to Iceland later this year. I currently live in Atlanta Georgia. Anyone interested in going together?

• lllimjoey June 26, 2016 at 5:22 am #

Me!

46. Edgar Mièles April 19, 2016 at 12:58 pm #

I’m glad I read your article on Iceland. I was under the illusion that it would be somewhat less expensive than southern destinations because it is off the beaten path. I no longer think that I am going there for a summer vacation. Thanks for the info.

47. Jessica | Nearby Wanderer June 15, 2016 at 12:30 pm #

Hello Liz,

Very informative. Iceland is definitely a place we would love to travel to and with your tips we might be able to save some money! I had no idea about the tax on alcohol. Thank you for the heads up. What would be your number one must do in Iceland?

48. Sarita Pandey July 28, 2016 at 4:53 pm #

Hi!! This is a nice post nd we have been planning to put together an article on saving money while travelling Iceland. Your point on stopover is pretty unique, with your permission we would like to mention the same with credits to you and your website. This way we both can earn backlinks to each other’s website. let me know if this excites you on my contact.

49. Csilla August 8, 2016 at 7:14 pm #

HI Liz, luckily i found your post in internet. We are thinking about visiting Iceland this year, late September for a week. Do you have any advice or great itinerary, how to get the most from our stay? Which month you visited Iceland? do you think it is gonna to be very cold over there? The Golden triangle trip is for one day ? thank you very much

Csilla

50. Ann August 24, 2016 at 8:10 am #

Wow, I have really enjoyed reading all the blogs. My husband and I are traveling with four other people middle of June. How would I get in touch with couch surf? Also is alcohol expensive to buy in stores? We are very excited, looking forward to the adventure. From Iceland we will be traveling to Ireland, we live in So Cal do you think that is the best travel route?

Ann

51. Emily Farewell September 27, 2016 at 2:58 pm #

I love this blog post!!
    My boyfriend and I cannot wait to go to Iceland! The two of us are travel photographers and Iceland is on the top of our list! We will be there on Halloween and staying for a week then off to Germany for a week! Thank you so much for the tips!

52. Vince October 5, 2016 at 9:43 am #

If you are interested in topic: earn online cash
    opportunities online – you should read about Bucksflooder first

53. Kristen October 8, 2016 at 6:26 am #

I love your blog and it inspires me to travel more (of course finances come into play). I lost my fiancé this past June, so its been a difficult 4 months without him being here. I ended up planning a solo trip to Iceland in April of 2017 and would like to get some advice from you. I’m planning on traveling to the southern part of Iceland from Reykjavik to Vik. I do have any suggestions on where to visit in the southern part of Iceland? Also, how about hiking boots? Which ones would to suggest since the weather will still be colder and I’m sure windier? Much appreciated!! 🙂

54. Andrew Cariboni October 28, 2016 at 6:18 am #

Skipping the Blue Lagoon is a smart move. I think I paid like $150 for the package, and although it was nice to head there right after a 6 hour flight, the water wasn’t as hot as I’d want. It was actually lukewarm.

Also, there’s a sunset in winter? I thought it was always dark. Summer was always light when I went. The sun went down for maybe 3 hours, but down just meant it hovered on the horizon, so there was still ample light and it never got dark.

55. Han December 18, 2016 at 12:42 am #

Just got back from Iceland recently. Already wishing to go back. Iceland indeed is a beautiful place.

1. How To Save Money In Iceland – Save money, Make money - April 22, 2016

[…] How not to blow all your money traveling … – Check out what Jess from Curiosity Travels has got to say about Iceland travel budget and how not to blow all your money traveling in Iceland. […]