2014, What’s Next?

Is it already 2014?

My god how time flies! Sorry there has been a bit of radio silence over on the lil’ ol’ blog. Christmas came early this year in the form of my Mac hard drive DYING on me the day I left for a 2 week trip around the South Island with Haka Tours. Oh happy days!

Trying to look on the brightside, I told myself to calm the hell down and this was an opportunity to disconnect and actually enjoy a trip, instead of worrying about wifi passwords and blogging late in the night.

Source

In the hustle and bustle of exploring the South Island aka THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD, I didn’t have much time to dwell back on 2013. And to be perfectly honest, though sometimes I get hung up on small things and events, I am not one who looks back on the past too often, I am always much more focused on the present, and definitely not on the future.

So 2014, what’s in store for me?

No freaking clue!

2014 resolutions travel

After returning home from the most epic trip I’ve done so far in  New Zealand, I was greeted with a barrage of both 2013 wrap-up posts and plenty of 2014 travel plans. Really? Who plans that far in advance?

Feeling a bit behind and a little left out, I started wondering what I was going to do in 2014, where I was going to go, what I was hoping to accomplish. Why hadn’t I thought of anything sooner?

2014 resolutions travel

Sometimes I have to pinch myself to remember that 2013 actually happened, and so many of my dreams I had tucked away came true, but at the same time, I am still learning a lot of lessons and many things that I anticipated would be easy or be over, are actually a life-long process.

Every year I outline goals that I hope to accomplish for the following year, and looking back at 2013′s, I realized I had fared better than I intended, like moving to New Zealand and having a year a firsts, I did also fail abominably, especially when it comes to answering emails. Oops.

I suppose most of my goals for 2014 are along the same line as before, working toward self-improvement, self-acceptance and being happy, simple really, right?

If only.

2014 resolutions travel

So as much as I wish I could tell you exciting travel news like I’m going to Antarctica to chase penguins (please god, one day) or that I’m going to get scuba certified (to chase Nemos unda da sea), I really haven’t thought that far in advance.

Instead I’ll share with you some long-term goals that I am working on, and then a few randoms that I hope to tick off the list whilst here in New Zealand.

What’s in store for you for 2014? Any ideas?

Source

1. Work on being more creative and find some balance

Not to toot my own horn, but I’ve always considered myself to be a fairly creative person. Growing up painting, writing, playing instruments and generally living with my head in another universe, I more often than not was told by adults, why couldn’t I just follow the rules and do what I was told.

Because that’s boring, that’s why.

2014 resolutions travel

However, sometime over the last year when I transitioned over to being a full-time blogger and content creator, I got so caught up with the mountainous pile of work I had to do, that my creative side started to drown.

I want to make time to do the things I really enjoy.

Now that I have a fresh start, I want to find more balance in my life, from have a better set schedule, to making time to do non-bloggy things to having the space to breathe and channel my inner creativity. Talk about a lofty goal!

2. Get out of my comfort zone

Somewhere along the line in the past few months I got comfortable and stopped feeling the need to push boundaries and my own limits. Probably had something to do with almost breaking my back and realizing my own mortality.

I used to be the girl who not only said yes to whatever crazy challenge was presented, but usually was the first to jump too. Lately I’ve noticed that I’ve changed, and I’m much more afraid of taking risks and hurting myself than I used to, or even trying something totally new.

And I don’t like it.

While I’m not saying that I want to go back to being a crazy 19 year old, I do want to find some balance between acting my age and channeling my inner wild child.

I want 2014 to be the year of challenging myself, pushing myself to try things I could have never imagined I could do.

3. Learn more about Maori culture and history in New Zealand

I’m ashamed to admit that I know diddly squat about the history of New Zealand, and about Maori culture in general.

New Zealand has a really rich cultural history, and I want to use this year to learn as much as I can. From being able to tell Maori legends to correctly pronouncing place names to visiting important historical sites in New Zealand, I want to do it all.

Now where to start?

4. Be a better friend

Sometimes I think I get so caught up in my online work and personal goals that I’ve become a shit friend. I tell myself I don’t have the time to chat or catch up with people when in reality I do, I’m just bad at time management.

Secondary goal.

I really want to use 2014 to work on being a better friend to both old friends around the world and new friends in New Zealand.

Source

5. Go bungee jumping

While I’ve done similar jumps around the wold, I’ve never actually done a traditional bungee jump around my ankles. I put it off knowing that I wanted to do it in New Zealand, since that’s where it was founded.

Well, now that I am here, I really really DON’T want to go bungee jumping. Apart from a messed up back, it really really freaks me out, but I know if I don’t do it this year, I’ll regret it.

Now that I am in the bungee jumping capital of the world, where should I pop my bungee cherry? Suggestions welcome.

6. Positivity

I’ve had problems in the past with anxiety and depression, and over the years I’ve worked very hard to try and be a positive person. Spiritual hippy bullshit aside, I’m a big believer that if you force yourself to smile and be positive, even when you don’t feel like it, it can actually help you be happier.

Does that make any sense?

But since I’ve been feeling a bit burnt out and lost the past few months, I’ve noticed I’m not mentally smiling as much as I would like, and I need to change that.

Gotta focus on the positive!

7. Rekindle my outdoorsy side

Growing up I used to always be outside camping, hiking, kayaking, sailing, rock climbing, you name it, I did it.

Somewhere over the past few years, I lost that part of myself and I am determined to get it back. Lucky for me, I picked the most outdoorsy country of them all to live.

New Zealand has more nature than you could ever imagine, and I am so excited to get back to my roots here.

Source

8. Disconnect more

Now that all my work is online, I am more attached to the internet that you could ever imagine.

And it’s annoying.

I really want to travel like I used to, without a smart phone or a laptop, and really immerse myself in these one of a kind travel experiences. I want to go days without checking in online and really dig into the places I’m visiting.

A month ago some friends dragged me camping overnight, and I turned off my phone for the whole trip, and it was glorious. I can’t wait to do it again.

9. Three new countries

Tasmania (Oz). Fiji. Bali.

These are three that top the list for me right now. Now that I am in this part of the world, I really would like to visit some of the Pacific Islands. Whichever, really. I’m not picky.

And Tasmania has been calling to me for a few months now. While I want to check out more of Australia at some point, every time I look at Tasmania, it just blows me away.

Have you been to any of these places? Have any recommendations for me?

10. Write a book, or start writing a book

Hells bells, I’ve been saying this since before I even got to NZ, but I wanted to use this year abroad to start writing a book.

About what? Can’t tell you that just yet, but I think New Zealand is exactly the kind of place to both inspire an incredible story and fuel the creative process.

2014 resolutions travel

80 Responses to 2014, What’s Next?

1. Polly January 5, 2014 at 1:39 am #

These are good goals – I may need to borrow a few.

For number three, when I was planning my New Zealand trip that fell through, I really wanted to go to a hangi meal and cultural performance in Rotorua. Because… food. In any case, looking forward to reading about your South Island adventure and the rest of your adventures in 2014!

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:15 am #

I definitely want to have a similar meal while here!

2. Alana - Paper Planes January 5, 2014 at 2:29 am #

I love that quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald! As for learning more about New Zealand/Maori history, read ‘Come on Shore and We Will Kill and Eat You All’ http://www.comeonshore.com. Part history, part love story, part social commentary…it’s a good one!

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:15 am #

thanks for the tips!! I love that quote too :)

3. Megan January 5, 2014 at 3:00 am #

Yay yay yay you’re going to Tassie! My home! (Although I haven’t popped in for a couple of years). I’ll put together some suggestions and send them your way.

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:16 am #

yay!!! Please send tips! I have no idea where to start!

4. Rebecca @ Rebe With a Clause January 5, 2014 at 4:30 am #

Great list! I think unplugging is so important, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be when your job relies on being plugged in. You can make it happen though!

To help with #6, do you read Marc and Angel Hack Life? (http://www.marcandangel.com/) Highly recommended – one post always gives me a refreshing burst of positivity. Also, book recommendation: The Happiness Hypothesis — really helped me when I went through my lowest time in the past.

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:16 am #

add that to my list, cheers! It is really hard because my life is now online, so when I disconnect it’s a huge problem, I need to figure out a way to balance both

5. Anna January 5, 2014 at 6:59 am #

Hey, nice article!! I recently returned from the South Island too, I’m from Sydney but my family lives in Christchurch so we return every year – and in a lot of places I was trailing right behind you!! Queenstown and Wanaka are beautiful huh? I would love to move to Wanaka one day *sighs*.

BUNGY JUMPING is something I love doing in NZ and I can happily recommend places! AJ Hackett (original company) is super safe so no need to worry when you are in there hands. My top bungy would be the Ledge Bungy in Queenstown, at the top of the gondola. It’s a 47m drop but you are 400m above the town so MAN it feels higher. Unfortunately it’s not the “traditional” kind – you are in a harness instead of tied around the ankles, but this allows you to have a run up before you jump, which really helps with the fear factor. They count down from 3 and before you know it you have leapt off the edge and there’s no turning back. PURE BLISS. The Swing also goes from the same place and launches you right out over Queenstown – just as scary but the swinging sensation followed by the freefall is very enjoyable. Also the view is REMARKABLE! (Get it? Because the Remarkables are in the distance? My mum thinks I’m funny).

HOWEVER if you still want to try the traditional round-the-ankles jump, go for the Nevis bungy (also outside Queenstown). 134m of pure freefall. I guarantee the scariest seconds of your life will be right before and during the fall. However the seconds after the bungy cord catches you will be the BEST moments of exhilaration you may ever experience. 110% recommend if you head back down south :)

Also if you head back down that way, my time at Skydive Wanaka was absolutely amazing. Friendly staff, cute plane and the most stunning scenery in the world.

Sorry for rambling on but I’M JUST SO PASSIONATE ABOUT NEW ZEALAND AND IM GLAD YOU SHARE THIS PASSION

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:41 pm #

I SHARE THE PASSION, NEW ZEALAND IS THE BESTEST!

Yeah I don’t think I could do the Nevis bungee unless someone threw me off

6. Anna January 5, 2014 at 7:00 am #

*their hands

I cannot forgive myself for atrocious grammatical mistakes

7. Katharina January 5, 2014 at 7:05 am #

I’m with you on the outdoorsy and creative side… As I kid, I used to play the piano, write and draw all the time. I guess Uni shifted my “priorities” to more social activities, but I admit I miss this side of me. I already started tackling my creative side again late 2013 with a sketching course and intend to do more of it over 2014!

As for the outdoors… I think it’s very easy living in London to say “I’m staying in today – it’s grey and cold outside” (I can imagine NZ has similar days as well). It’s an effort, but each time I do something outdoors – I feel so much happier. So, more outdoor activities from now on :)

Oh, and don’t worry about the pre-planning… I just recently wrote my own 2014 “resolutions” I admitted that with my lifestyle, there’s no point in making 1 year plans for travel / life / whatsoever. In the past few years there has always been something life-changing that I would have never even guessed in January of that year…

Wishing you the best for 2014!

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

sounds like we are on the same page! I hope 2014 works out for both of us!

8. Cat of Sunshine and Siestas January 5, 2014 at 8:37 am #

I have this little diary that has just five lines per day, for five years. Goal for 2013 was apparently to start writing a book, oops! I may not have written a book, but as you saw, it was a pretty good year! I have to email you – I may have a small favor to ask, so remember your resolution to write back mujer!! Here’s to 2014 – looking forward to seeing what you have in store.

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

Thanks Cat! I saw a similar journal in Wellington the other day but then I was like, yeah that’s not gonna happen haha. I need to get better with that kind of stuff! Email me :)

9. Sarah Palin January 5, 2014 at 8:46 am #

Very good advice here, you’re like master yoda in some ways, seriously.

And I’ve just realized how much you look like Michelle Williams out of Blue Valentine.

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

ohoo thanks, I think :)

10. Julie @ A Life Exotic January 5, 2014 at 9:49 am #

Cannot WAIT for more pics and details of your South Island roadtrip! Also, I think it’s awesome that you want to learn more about Maori culture – it’s such a huge part of NZ’s history! I took a class on the language/storytelling origins while I was there and it was so interesting. And go bungee jumping in Queenstown for sure :)

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

I really want to learn more about it!

11. Hayley (Lovepuffin) January 5, 2014 at 10:11 am #

Great list. I’m also hitting the ‘adventure wall’ – scary place to be when you can’t quite explain why you’re not willing to jump into the abyss anymore. Hormones, perhaps? Anyway if you’re looking for a ‘softer’ bungee jump (better for your back) I’d recommend the Shotover Canyon Swing in Queenstown. You freefall and then the wire swings you out over the canyon. It’s awesome but SCARY! Here’s the vid if you fancy a laugh! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=322700070394&set=vb.597705394&type=3&theater
    Good luck to you in 2014, I look forward to following your adventures! xx

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

OMG yeah I had friends on the Haka Tour with me who did that swing, I’ll have to try it next time I’m in the south island!

12. Trevor Huxham January 5, 2014 at 4:30 pm #

These seem like some great goals for the new year, Liz! I’m especially looking forward to hearing your report(s) on Maori culture, language, and history, and a trip to Tasmania sounds very cool, too. Mucha suerte!!!!!

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:30 pm #

Thanks Trevor!

13. Katie January 5, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

Re #3: While I was in law school, I took a class where we researched the intersection of Maori culture and law, which culminated in a trip to New Zealand. Victoria University of Wellington had some phenomenal resources and there’s a marae there — I think they told us at the time (2008) that they had programs and stuff in there. I’m not sure where you are in NZ, but it might be worth checking out for learning about Maori culture.

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

That’s really cool, and a really awesome point! I need to check out more resources while I’m here in Wellington!

14. Yengin Loay January 5, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

Scuba diving truley opens up a new world for one to explore. Everyone remembers their first breath under water!

I’ve been in NZ for a month now and trying to get out to as many dive sites as possible. i’m a huge fan of your blog and it’d be awesome if we could meet up!

• Liz January 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm #

Send me a message, I’d love to meet up and hear more about diving here!

15. Mary @ Travels with Mary January 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

I’m all-aboard the positivity train this year– fake it ’til you make it!

Also, can’t believe I didn’t put “write a book” on my resolutions this year… that’s my resolution every year and I never accomplish it. I have a feeling if you sit in Hobbiton for long enough, you’ll just absorb the greatness and something wonderful will come out!

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 4:06 am #

totally agree times a million

16. Helen January 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm #

Hey Liz!

I wrote a post like this today too! Ha ha, we have some of the same goals! The ones that are really similar though – balance and disconnecting! If you figure out the secret, let me know!

Wishing you an even better 2014! It’s gonna rock! The Mary Oliver quote is one of my favourites too! :)

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 4:07 am #

We have to share what works and what doesn’t!

17. Adam January 5, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

Love how you summarized your resolutions into basically self-improvement, happiness & wellness. Those seem like smart ways to track progress throughout the year.

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 4:07 am #

yeah that’s what I am hoping for :)

18. Kelsey January 5, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Girl, we’ve got so much in common. I’m not particularly excited about jumping off a bridge, but I’m gonna do it NZ… I have to! Also, Tasmania, Fiji and Bali are ALL on my list… Being so close and just knowing of the awe-filled beauty, I cannot NOT go! And if you end up in Nelson or within 2-3 hours of it, and you’re up for it… We can be scuba cert buddies! My bf is already certified but I plan on taking advantage of the glorious water in the Southern Hemisphere.

Let’s take 2014 and make it awesome!!

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 3:36 am #

wahoo sounds like we’re twins! I will let you know when I get to Nelson!

19. Jessica Wray January 5, 2014 at 6:09 pm #

2013 seemed to be such an epic year of travel for you that it’s good that your goals for 2014 are more related to personal happiness. Balance is always the key!

Either way, hope you make it to Antarctica, Tasmania, Fiji and Bali and achieve everything else along the way. Happy new year!

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 3:36 am #

thank you! Happy new years too :D

20. Jennifer January 5, 2014 at 7:07 pm #

You have to do a bungee! I had the opportunity to do it in Croatia and chickened out. I’ve been regretting it ever since.

Tasmania is on my bucket list too! We met a couple from Tasmania and they recommend going in February for a huge wine and food festival.

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 3:37 am #

I don’t know why but Tasmania sounds awesome! I really can’t wait to go. And bungee, god, I am terrified but I reckon I’ll do it here since I have to ugh

21. Danielle January 5, 2014 at 8:26 pm #

YES, yes, YESSSSSSSS!! You totally have to go bungee jumping! I’ve always wanted to that and in NZ as well :) YOLO, right? What’s scares me the most is: what if the rope breaks or something? Haha. Don’t want to freak you out but you should do it. I bet you won’t regret it!! Maybe you’re book could be about your travels. Or travelling tips in general. It’s what I imagine you writing about. Hope you get to achieve your goals! Lots of luck. Looking foward to your next post :D xxx

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 3:38 am #

Thank you! I know, why if the cord breaks my god. I think I’ll have to do it over water!

22. Danielle January 5, 2014 at 10:36 pm #

When I went to Bali a few years ago my favorite part was white water rafting and watching the monkeys swing across the river as we passed under them. There is also this huge statue in Kuta. I didn’t go to any of the temples, but my friends showed me pictures and they were amazing. Monkeys will take things from your pockets when you are walking around the temples, so make sure everything is safely tucked away in a bag or something. If you go to Kuta they have a lot of shopping stalls which you can find a lot of cool things at, but the natives will go as far as grabbing you and dragging you into the store telling you to buy things sometimes. Overall though I really enjoyed Bali and wouldn’t mind going back.

Also in the Indonesian islands is East Timor, which when I went there there were a lot of Australians vacationing there. We went to Dili, and we really enjoyed it there. They are working really hard on re-building it after their war ended over a decade ago.

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 3:39 am #

MONKEYS!!!

Thanks for the tips about East Timor and Dili, I really want to get to some cool places like that!

23. Megan January 6, 2014 at 1:02 am #

You go girl! One of the main reasons I dropped the idea of travel blogging as a career is that isn’t seemed like it would change travel for me in a negative way- I don’t know how you do it, but I’m glad you do! It’s hard to find balance, but NZ sounds like the best place to find it ;-) For bungee jumping, I totally recommend the Nevis bungee outside of Queenstown. It wasn’t as terrifying as I thought it would be- and no whiplash or any painful things!

This all reminds me that I really need to do some reflecting on my 2014 goals…

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 3:40 am #

I really don’t think I can do the Nevis one, way too freaking high, my god. Actually travel has really changed for me now that it’s my job, but I am determined to find a way to balance it somehow, wish me luck!

• Megan January 6, 2014 at 10:28 pm #

Can’t say I blame you- looking back, I’m not sure if I’d find the balls to do it again. I have faith that you’ll find balance! It can be a total pain finding it, but I *guess* its necessary to mental health and all that jazz.

• Liz January 7, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

totally

24. Kelli January 6, 2014 at 1:41 am #

Great resolutions, Liz! I think I might be able to help out with the country one: I’m a travel writer who’s recently relocated to Freycinet Naional Park, Tasmania, and will be here for at least another 6-9 months working and writing for several travel sites back home. Maybe we can turn your vacation into a holiday, with a twist of travel writing, naturally? An exploration + collaboration? Let me know if you’re interested – even if you just want a pure, relaxed, non-working trip, now’s the time to come! Summer here is beautiful, and should last for at least through March/April… : ) Safe travels south!

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 3:41 am #

yes, please let’s talk more – can you email me? my email is liz at youngadventuress dot com :)

25. cheeesefries January 6, 2014 at 11:58 am #

Man I get jealous every time you post about New Zealand! My two cents: If you have already decided on bungee jumping, do the Nevis! Go big, and when you drive back into Queenstown, the Kawarau Bridge bungee will look weak. I was terrified of the Nevis, but got brave for just one second and that’s all it takes! I was on an adrenaline high for a week afterward and it continues to be a vivid highlight of NZ for me. The Ledge swing didn’t exist while I was there, but it seems like it would be a fun compromise.

Tasmania, Fiji, and Indonesia are at the top of my travel list but are so far away from the US. You are doing it right!

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

aghhh maybe I need to do the Nevis, it freaks me out so much though OMG!

• cheeesefries January 7, 2014 at 2:42 pm #

Oh it’s terrifying and you are justified in being freaked out, but would you also be freaked out standing on a bridge 20 meters high? I knew I would pee my pants either way (that didn’t happen because I was too scared and my body shut down all unnecessary functions) so it was really about temporarily conquering my fears. It was great.

• Liz January 7, 2014 at 5:06 pm #

you are 100% right!

26. Helen January 6, 2014 at 3:39 pm #

I’m so glad I stumbled across your blog. I’m off to New Zealand next Friday and have started having the “am I doing the right thing in going for five months” thoughts that I generally have before I go on any trip. I’m based in Blenheim for the first 4 or 5 weeks to visit a friend and attend her wedding then I’m off on my ownsome to do some exploring until June. You have helped out my mind at rest a little!

I spent six months in Fiji 7 years ago and loved every minute. You say the Kiwis are the friendliest people on earth but the Fijians may just push them into second place. I was part of a conservation project so we were living on the island of Gau with the villagers at one point. Amazing experience!

I can now start to look forwards to my trip rather than questioning it, thank you! First things first though, think i need to sell the car to help with the funds…hahaha

Happy New Year!

• Liz January 6, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

Yay thank you! 5 months in New Zealand will be amazing, you’ll get to see so much! I will also be in the south island then so we should meet up if you’re around! I can’t wait for Fiji, I just need to start planning! I wish I could go there for a long chunk of time too!

27. Angela January 6, 2014 at 5:52 pm #

I completely agree on the 2014 list. I did wrap up my 2013, but as for 2014, I have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER. This year I plan on chasing a couple of flight deals and getting back to some budget traveling. Enjoy New Zealand! I just love the South Island and can’t wait to read your posts. Cheers!

• Liz January 7, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Thanks! I will have so much to write about!

28. Beatrice January 6, 2014 at 5:59 pm #

Tasmania is as wonderful as you think it will be! Some of the best places are not written about in guidebooks, though, so they’re a bit harder to find.
    Friendly beaches, Fortescue Bay & the edge of the world come to mind :)

• Liz January 7, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

OMG I can’t wait!!

29. Kayli Schattner January 6, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

Can’t wait to see where 2014 takes you!!

• Liz January 7, 2014 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks Kayli!

30. Alex @ ifs ands & butts January 7, 2014 at 8:24 am #

The islands, swoon. I know you’re going to have an exceptional year and I can’t wait to see where else it takes you. I should probably add disconnecting to my list as literally everyone makes fun of me for my screen obsession.

• Liz January 7, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

that’s going to be the hardest one for me, but I’m determined to experience life away from my apple products this year!

31. jackie January 8, 2014 at 12:24 pm #

love these! If you can wait until August, I will so bungee jump with you in NZ (I am sure my fiancé/husband at that time will gladly push give me a push! ;))

in this world its become so hard to disconnect from Wi-Fi, our phones, computers etc. Its a noble goal I am sure you can obtain

• Liz January 20, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

I hope you’re right! It’s proving more challenging that I expected

32. Anonymous January 10, 2014 at 6:42 pm #

I love your blog and you are absolutely awesome! I like that you are real. I’ve stopped reading a few travel blogs because I am sick of how rosy they are (puke). Nobody reads a novel that is just rainbows and kittens, do they? No! Give me the ugly bits!

Anyways, you’re great!

• Liz January 20, 2014 at 8:07 pm #

haha thanks :) I even talk about puke :D

33. Amy January 19, 2014 at 10:55 pm #

I came across your blog today and I just have to say, wow!! And I consider myself well traveled…ha. I don’t know how you fund your travels, but you’re living my dream for sure. I just signed up for a TEFL class in Prague for August, and I am beyond excited! So if you have any tips for how to make a career out of traveling and writing about it, I’d be ever so grateful :)

Anyways, love your blog, writing style, all of it.

Amy

• Liz January 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm #

woah that’s awesome, Prague is great. I fund my travels in different ways, sometimes I work with places to get free trips and pretty much every penny I earn freelancing gets funneled back into travel. I haven’t really made a career yet, mostly I just do other jobs to pay for stuff, hopefully that will change when I publish my first NYTimes best selling novel :D

34. Therese January 21, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Hi Liz!

Oh you should definitely do the bungee jump from the Kawarau Bridge in Queenstown. It is so beautifully located and really takes your breath away. And it is at a quite a good hight, 42m ;)
    I studied in Nelson, NZ, last year and during a short school break me and my friends got down to Qeenstown and Kawarau Bridge to do the jump. And I’m so, so happy that I did it there!

How do you find NZ? And most of all Wellington? I fell in love with it when I was there, and have seroisly considered moving there. (Had great weather though) I have my family here in Sweden and all the security that comes with that, and I feel that these things holds me back. I know I shouldent over think things so much and be in the moment instead, but I find it so hard! Therefore you’re a hughe source of inspitation for me, truly! Living your dream, doing whatever you feel the need to do. I love your blog and all your wise posts!

• Liz January 22, 2014 at 4:09 am #

I absolutely love it here! I think you need to move back asap! The weather is much better here than in Sweden anyways :D

35. Kate [Life Outside My Comfort Zone] January 23, 2014 at 7:59 pm #

Kia ora Liz! awesome goals, I’m completely on board with the conscious lifestyle decisions as well. I spent 4.5 years living as an expat in NZ, returned home to travel across Canada in 2013, and am now on my way back on another 2 year work visa. i’ll most likely be based in the Far North (Northland) which is hugely rich in Maori culture – my home in Ahipara is on 90 Mile beach, and we often cruise up the beach to Cape Reinga. Also, I have ties with the local marae, if you’d like to see a less-touristy version of the culture!

• Liz January 24, 2014 at 1:51 am #

that’s really cool! I can’t wait to get up to Northland! It’s at the top of my list, have any tips for me?

36. Naomi January 29, 2014 at 1:52 am #

I have to admit…. I don’t set goals.. (sounds shameful though) But it’s because i set goals and end up feeling bad about myself because mostly i accomplish none. So i did away with resolutions and goals. But i like your number 10….. :) Though i won’t write a book, i’m a scriptwriter (stage plays) and i’m planning to write my first script for TV production. Happy New year!

• Liz January 29, 2014 at 10:07 am #

I completely understand, I don’t set goals really either, wrote that back in my 2013 post haha.

37. Jillian February 16, 2014 at 3:44 am #

I really enjoy your goals for 2014. I see that you’re hoping to visit 3 countries while you’re in New Zealand. I went to Bali in November for the 1st time and I had REALLY high expectations for it! In hindsight, a bit TOO high.

It pains me to write this, but I was slightly disappointed by it. I did spend a few days of my 2 week trip very sick (getting used to being in Asia, the ocean water, and food…) so perhaps I would have enjoyed it more had I done this later in my Asia tour. I probably would have enjoyed it more also if I had gotten off the beaten path a bit more. The places I experienced were a bit too touristy. While beautiful, this threw me off a bit from what I expected the island to be like. Perhaps my expectations were too high, as well! I read in another post that you’ve experienced this similar feeling. I totally resonate with that! If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me.

Tasmania looks incredible to me, too, so I look forward to your posts on it!

Jillian

38. Erin March 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm #

Thanks for sharing your goals! I write down my goals every January too and it always surprises me how many I accomplish and how many I realize just aren’t important any more.

39. Jayne March 18, 2014 at 9:32 pm #

Liz, go to Tasmania! A friend and I went for 15 days at Christmas and it was unbelievable. Highly recommend doing the overland track from cradle mountain to lake st Clair. One of the best travel decisions I’ve made.

1. ZZOE Tuesday Travel Quote #4 | ZigZag On Earth - January 6, 2014

[…] Adventuress talking about the year ahead, her goals and sharing this quote that I placed on one of my […]

2. And this is indeed the true question. | KeMo's Junkyard - January 29, 2014

[…] This is from the Young Adventuress blog I like to read: http://youngadventuress.com/2014/01/2014-resolutions-travel.html […]