Photo Friday: Bacharach, Germany

IMG_5276

I started this blog 2 years ago, though I wish I had started it 6 years ago, when I started traveling extensively in college. I have a whole hardrive of photos from international trips I’ve made that I want to share with you guys here. So I have decided to start a new project called Photo Friday, where I will post one photo a week of a shot with a story from I trip I made before I started my blog.

To kick it off, I’ve decided to post a picture from one of my favorite places I have ever traveled to: Bacharach, Germany. Haven’t heard of it? Don’t worry, no one has. It is a tiny village in southwestern Germany situated on the Rhein River (less than 2000 inhabitants). I traveled through this part of Germany while backpacking for two months in the winter of 2007-2008 because of it’s fairy tale, picturesque reputation. I decided to stop here because Lonely Planet mentioned that Bacharach has a medieval castle turned into a youth hostel. How could I not go here?

After making the reservation (20 euros a night, my own room and bathroom and breakfast and dinner-what a deal!) at Burg Stahleck, I made my way there the week before Christmas. I arrived at night, hopping off the train alone onto a grass platform. Bacharach is so small, there are virtually no stores or anyone around to ask for directions. I look up and see the castle illuminated with Christmas lights on top of a mountain. How was I supposed to get there? I ended up hiking up a dirt trail by moonlight for an hour in my Birkenstock clogs, with no idea what to expect or any directions whatsoever. I am always looking for adventure, and it looks like I found one. Huffing and puffing in the frigid air, I promptly passed out after I arrived and checked in. However, when I woke up the next morning, this was the view that greeted me. Talk about incredible! I spent several days traveling around this part of Germany, and I completely fell in love with it after my initial travel catastrophe. I can’t wait to go back in warmer weather.

Have you ever been to this part of Germany? Have you ever gotten to stay in a historical hotel or hostel, or even a castle?

, , , ,

8 Responses to Photo Friday: Bacharach, Germany

1. Ashlee D. March 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Such a stunning picture! The lighting is amazing too. Well done 🙂

I’ve never had the chance to get to that part of Germany, only Berlin. Definitely would love to though!

2. Nancy Todd March 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

The picture is extraordinary. Thank the sky Gods for the lighting. Love it!

3. Anonymous March 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

You should write about how you got started with your college travelling. I, too, want to travel a lot during my college years. =]

4. Audrey | That Backpacker March 19, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Ahhh, this place looks so beautiful! I’ve mostly travelled around southwestern Germany. This setting looks straight out of a fairy tale!

5. Liz March 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Yeah I love southwestern Germany, fairy tale land. I will definitely write about how I got started traveling. thanks for the idea 🙂 the lighting was just perfect, with the sun peeking through the frosty clouds first thing in the morning. made waking up early worth it

6. Kelli June 28, 2014 at 6:44 pm #

Which medieval castle/hostel did you stay at? I will be close to that area in Germany sometime next week and would love to check it out! (and btw… I can’t seem to get that picture to load, from the comments it sounds beautiful and would love to see it!

7. Jonathan December 2, 2015 at 5:29 pm #

Awesome hostel, had a beer there. I was there in the fall of 2012 while studying abroad in Germany. Bacharach was actually the first place I stayed on my first solo mission out in Germany. I ended up staying the night at an old couple’s house on my way up the Rhein.

1. What's Your Fairytale? - Young Adventuress - December 2, 2012

[…] away in the Rhine section of Lonely Planet was a wee little paragraph entitled Bacharach and under suggested accommodations: Burg Stahleck, burg meaning castle in German. I was hooked! […]