Top Five Reasons You Should Visit Jaén, Spain

While I am away traveling in Turkey this week, I have lined up some guest posts by some of my favorite bloggers, posts about places I hope to make it to one day. This post is from Trevor, a long-time internet buddy and writer over at A Texan in Spain. Trevor is teaching English down in Jaén, in southern Spain, a region famous for its olive oil. Right next to Córdoba where I lived for a year, I shamefully never made it over to this beautiful little area, even though I am a huge advocate of off the beaten track travel. Luckily, Trevor has agreed to offer us some of his insider tips to this overlooked region and gives us his top 5 reasons to visit Jaén, Spain.

Have you ever been to Jaén? Or better yet, have you heard of it? Do you want to visit here if you ever make it to Spain one day?

jaen spain

Bring up southern Spain in a conversation and many people will probably start talking about Córdoba’s Mosque-Cathedral, Granada’s Alhambra, or Málaga’s beaches. Rarely, though, will anyone mention Jaén province (pronounced “khah-AYN”), even though it’s right next door to Córdoba. Most people pass through the area to get to Granada, yet they miss out on an affordable, lightly-touristed part of the country with a lot to offer.

A land of mountains and olives, of Renaissance architecture and free tapas, the province of Jaén in eastern Andalucía will pleasantly surprise you if you spend even two days here. Confession: I was initially disappointed when I found out the Spanish Ministry of Education had placed me as a language assistant in Jaén, but after living here for four months I have realized how lucky I am to be living in such a special place. Let me share with you five reasons why I think you should stop off in the province of Jaén the next time you visit Spain.

1. Úbeda and Baeza

I’m perhaps a little biased since I live in Úbeda, but these two towns in the center of the province are probably the best places to encounter Renaissance architecture outside of Italy, and have even been recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. In Úbeda, well-proportioned palaces and chapels dominate, while in Baeza you can find university halls with arched patios and also a calming cathedral.

jaen spain

Their unusual-sounding names come from the Arabic Ubbadat and Bayyasa, becoming the “OO-vay-dah” and “bah-AY-thah” of today after the towns were re-conquered in the 1200s. A few centuries later, local ubetense Francisco de los Cobos became King Carlos I’s secretary of state, a position through which he was able to bring funds down south to transform these two cities into Renaissance gems.

When you visit, be sure to pick up a mug from Úbeda’s pottery shops (alfarería); the unique green glaze is a carryover from Moorish times. And don’t forget to enjoy the simple pleasure of wandering through each city’s old town; although they’re both decent-sized places, they’re still small enough to hold that Spanish pueblo charm.

2. Olives and Olive Oil

It’s a pretty well-known fact that southern Europe leads the world in growing olives and processing their liquid gold—olive oil. But most people don’t know that the province of Jaén accounts for half of Andalucía’s olive oil production, a third of Spain’s, and a tenth of the entire world’s—whoa! This isn’t hard to believe, though, because almost every square inch of land outside the cities and natural parks is covered in unending, pointillist rows of olive groves.

jaen spain

I recently had the chance to go on a field trip with sixth-graders from the school I work at to *ahem* the world’s largest olive oil factory (almazara)—Cooperativa Ntra. Sra. del Pilar—which has been hiding in plain sight ten minutes down the road! After the olives are harvested, they’re dumped into huge chutes, cleaned, and squeezed to release their raw juices, which are then separated and bottled as extra virgin olive oil. You’ll have to call or email ahead, but exploring any of the province’s co-ops would be on par with touring a vineyard.

jaen spain

Even if you can’t manage to coordinate a factory visit, you can still pop in to any supermarket or boutique oil shop and pick up a bottle of extra virgin olive oil. I recommend the stuff made from the picual olives (traditional olive flavor) or arbequina ones (with hints of almonds!). Stop off at a bakery, get a fresh loaf of bread, and you’ve got your snacktime made.

3. Free Tapas and Great Food

Move over, Granada—you’ve got company. One of Spain’s best-kept secrets is that you can get free tapas (little appetizers to go with your drink) not just in Granada or Madrid but also all over the province of Jaén. This custom was actually really confusing when I first arrived in town because I thought you had to order tapas separately and was worried they were serving me food I didn’t order.

Anyway, whenever you order a beer, a Coca-Cola, or a glass of wine, your servers will also bring out a little plate of munchies—can be potato salad, toast with cured ham, or anchovies. If you’re lucky, you’ll get a dish of preserved olives, just because, in addition to your tapa. At one place here in Úbeda I’ve been given half a baked potato or a small sandwich!

jaen spain

Some specialties that I really love from this area include: andrajos, a warm, lime-green stew of rabbit, noodles, and vegetables; migas, fried garlic bread crumbs; and ochíos con morcilla en caldera, paprika-coated bread rolls filled with flavorful blood-sausage pâté.

4. Mountains and Natural Parks

Feeling weary of the flat plains of Castilla? Tired of the beach? Come to Jaén for a change of scenery! For me personally, being a “mountain person,” the landscape is wonderful. With 20% of the province’s land protected in the natural park system, all corners of the province have great chances to hike, see wildlife, and even go parasailing!

jaen spain

The most popular park is the Sierras de Cazorla, Segura, y Las Villas to the east. Composed of three parallel mountain ranges, this nature preserve holds within its borders a dozen or so quiet villages from which you can appreciate many dramatic vistas. One of these towns, Segura de la Sierra, is built on the side of a hill with an ancient castle enthroned on its summit.

5. Jaén City

To be honest, when I first went down to the provincial capital of Jaén, I hated it: the city seemed ugly and industrial and I had to deal with the local delegation of Spanish bureaucracy. But a few more visits later and the city has really come to grow on me.

First of all, the city’s cathedral, which dominates the skyline of Jaén, is a first-class structure. Designed by Andrés de Vandelvira—the same architect behind most of the famous buildings in Úbeda and Baeza—the building is a massive, beautiful epitome of Renaissance architecture. Behind the cathedral’s altar hangs an important relic: the Veil of Veronica (Santo Rostro), which, according to legend, bears an image of Jesus’ face, imprinted after Saint Veronica used it to clean Jesus’s head on his way to Calvary.

jaen spain

Near the cathedral is a wonderful collection of tasty tapas bars—some of which date back to the 1800s. It’s a lot of fun getting lost in the super-narrow streets while trying to walk back and forth across this neighborhood.

The highest point in the city is the hill of Santa Catalina, on top of which is an old castle that now serves as the city’s parador (fancy state-run hotel). You can hike or take the bus up to the top, where you can admire the whole city stretching out in front of you. To the north runs the Guadalquivir River not far from its source, and to the south is the Sierra Mágina—the “Mystical Range.”

How to Get There

The province of Jaén is surprisingly central and well-linked with the rest of the country despite being so unknown. The capital is within an hour’s drive of Granada, an hour and a half of Córdoba, and three and a half of Madrid. The Linares-Baeza and Jaén train stations have daily (or more) connections with Sevilla, Córdoba, Granada, Madrid, and Barcelona. And by bus, the company Alsa runs thousands of affordable, direct trips to basically any city you can think of in southern Spain.

Trevor Huxham is currently working as a language assistant in Úbeda, Spain, but calls the state of Texas home. He writes about Spain, travel, and languages on his blog, A Texan in Spain and is looking forward to moving up to Galicia in northwest Spain in the fall. Follow him on Instagram and Twitter today!

, , ,

22 Responses to Top Five Reasons You Should Visit Jaén, Spain

1. Cassandra February 24, 2013 at 8:14 am #

Great info and photos, Trevor! I have a friend from Jaén who is proud of his town and it was fun to see some of the reasons for that. In particular, I’m loving that landscape shot under #4!

While you’ll have more terrific adventures coming up in Galicia, I can tell that you’ll miss all 5 of the things you highlight here. Que disfrutes!!

• Trevor Huxham February 25, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Thanks for the compliments, Cassandra! If you’re interested, the landscape shot under #4 is from the mirador of Hornos de Segura in the Sierras de Cazorla, Segura, y Las Villas parque natural.

2. Cat of Sunshine and Siestas February 24, 2013 at 10:16 am #

Jaen is a place in Spain I have actually not been! I want a good four days to take it in, and never had puentes the last few years! Maybe once my mom is here…

• Trevor Huxham February 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

You should totally come over here for a visit, Cat! I think by bus or train it’s about 50 € round-trip from Sevilla.

3. Rachel February 25, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

Great to read about Jaén, as you say sadly missed and underated by many people and not heard of by the rest!

May bump into you into some day Trevor, I prefer Baeza to Úbeda, smaller and more charming I think but the Renaissance architecture in both is fab. Jaén too has many surprises, may see there too!

4. Mike February 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm #

Trevor, I really enjoyed reading this considering I’ve never been to Jaén, even though I was in Granada for 6 months. Maybe I would have gone had I known there were free tapas…I have to say that I am looking forward to visiting when I’m teaching in Spain next year (fingers crossed for a placement).

• Trevor Huxham February 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm #

Thanks for the kind words, Mike—I hope you get placed to teach in Spain next year! I’m guessing you’ve preferenced Andalucía?

I’ve heard there are free tapas in Almería, too, and I’ve gotten served free tapas in the bordering province of Ciudad Real in Castilla-La Mancha to the north.

• Mike February 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

I did preference Andalucía. My second was País Vasco and then Castilla-La Mancha. Your blog was a ton of help to me while applying. I truly cannot emphasize that enough!

5. Suzie February 28, 2013 at 1:25 am #

I only managed a couple of nights in Spain on my trip only trip to Europe and I wanted to go back and see more even before I read your post! Your pictures and post now make me want to go back even more! Love the pic of the mountains!

6. JAMES March 1, 2013 at 3:12 am #

Hi Trevor ,great post…. Ive been offerred a work placement in jaen for 13 weeks,i would be working in a bar, the pay isnt great but i do get free accomadation and free travel from uk.I would nt normally consider working for such a low wage but i have long wanted to leave england and worked out that after i pay my rent and bills here im actully worst off.So rather then pay my own flights,find accom,job etc i thought this is a great chance to take avantage and have some time plus extra money to stay in jaen after the 13 weeks permentently.Im aware of the lack of jobs but ive had very little success here either.Is there a chance i could find work with only basic spainish,as this area seems to look unspoilt by tourism.Would there be work available in the olive feilds for exsample? I also plan to get my TEFL as i know work for english teachers is available.It also seems i may be wrong but here i pay 6500 pa in rent which is about average but have found out i could live there in same standard of living for 2400 pa so i would nt need to earn as much as i would here to survive.Any advice ,imformation you can give me would be extremely helpful, i have a week to decide and really am considering selling my possessions,[car,tv,pc etc ..not much} and giving up my rented home,it be nice to keep it to come back incase it all went wrong but that 1650 in rent that could pay for six months in spain.. My only other skills that may help me find work is i dj and construction as a bricklayer.Im only 29 but have no interests in the living in areas over run by boozed up english tourists or any of that 18-30s nosense.I just want a quite life and not have so outgoings, im sure id save some pennies on the heating bill too lol..

• edgar February 10, 2015 at 6:41 am #

Hi James, I’ve just read your interesting comment about Spain & Jaen in particular.
      It is now nearly 2 years since you wrote that post & I am wondering how things have panned out for you.
      I’m also curious cos I am looking for a way to get out of the UK (London), for a cheaper, more relaxed & sunnier life. Living in London just seems to get worse & worse & I also want to break out of that rut of low pay jobs & high rent in rubbish places.
      Anyway, I look forward to hearing of your news/progress.

Regards,

Edgar

• Ed February 10, 2015 at 6:53 am #

Hi James,

it is now nearly 2 years since you wrote this post & I am wondering how things have panned out for you, whether you moved to Jaen & got a job there. etc.
      Cheers,
      Ed

7. alex February 12, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

Muchas gracias por hacer este blog. Voy a estar estudiando en la universidad de Jaén en Mayo y me has dado algunos ideas de lo que debo hacer mientras que estoy estudiando. ¿No sé si sabes a donde más debo visitar mientras que estoy en Jaén? ¿O algunos actividades que tengo que hacer en la ciudad de Jaén? Gracias por todo,
    Alex

8. ceramics March 26, 2014 at 7:33 am #

Colombo is the perfect launhh pad to kichk start your holidays inn Sri Lanka.
    Thiss will surely inspire the couple and be happy with heir chosen wedding theme.

The ‘frit’ body was white translucent when thin and capable off a wide range of decorative
    techniques.

9. Lynne Sweet May 22, 2014 at 8:23 pm #

Thank you for this very informative overview, our spanish teacher has organised a day trip to Jaen, Baeza and Ubeda, having read your piece my friend and I are really looking forward to the trip

10. horatiowindblower October 3, 2015 at 5:54 am #

What is the typical rent for a modest apartment with few amenities, having at least a kitchenette and own bathroom? Seriously interested. Is there a college there?

Do the people there have a decent understanding of English in case we may want to help not just in English but math and other subjects (for free) or for just general living? Mi espanol es no muy bien.

11. KR October 31, 2015 at 6:38 am #

Looks like James may no longer be in Southern Dpain or, at least, not following this blog anymore. Anyone else visited the Jaén province in 2015? We are planning a trip for fall 2016 – Hope to spend a couple of nights on our way north from Gibraltar, in Jaén, Baeza or Ubeda.

12. Marlene May 10, 2016 at 7:12 pm #

Thanks so much for this excellent post-we are about the spend a few days up there and this has wetted our appetites

13. Emily July 16, 2016 at 12:30 pm #

Hi Trevor,
    Have you been to Escañuela town in Jaen, Spain? If so, can you pls tell me about it? Thank you!

1. Un tejano en Jaén. Cinco razones para visitar Jaén. | visitjaen - April 17, 2013

[…] para dar clases de inglés. El eco de este escritor americano me llegó por otra blogger, Liz (http://youngadventuress.com/2013/02/visit-jaen-spain.html ) una escritora, viajera y también profesora de inglés.  Estas son las cinco razones que el […]

2. Flying the Flag for Andalucía | Granada Spain - February 28, 2014

[…] here for a really great post on what Jaén has to […]

3. Andrajos: the “rags” of Southern Spain | dialogues with food - February 3, 2016

[…] Abundance of olive trees in Jaén, source: http://youngadventuress.com/2013/02/visit-jaen-spain.html […]