Photo Friday: Marrakech, Morocco

IMG_4699

In the fall of 2007 I was studying abroad in Salamanca, Spain. A group of us decided to head to Marrakech, Morocco for a quick weekend trip. This was one of my first trips I ever made, and let me tell you, it was a real eye opener. The city was chaotic and not being able to communicate in Arabic or French, made it even more so. One of my favorite parts of the weekend was getting to explore the markets, or souks.

We got lost for hours, winding our way through the narrow, unmarked streets, with the occasional loose chicken or sheep running by. I left with tons of purchases including a beautiful silver tea set with bright glasses. Marrakech was filthy, slightly scary, and colorful with an air of general pandemonium; I loved it. I took this Photo Friday amidst one of the many souks. By the time this posts, I will be lost again in another Arab country: Egypt. I can’t wait.

Have you ever been to Morocco or any Middle Eastern country? What were your thoughts about it? Are you a fan of wild markets like me?

, , , ,

20 Responses to Photo Friday: Marrakech, Morocco

1. seanloquesea April 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

It seems that from your picture there are a lot of tourists in Marrakech. When I was there in 2009 with some friends, I didn’t see another non-Moroccan at all! What time of the year did you go? I’m sure for me it had something to do with being there in the summer, so of course it was a lot hotter.

Anyway…Marrakech is such an amazing city. While it may be dirty, it hasn’t lost any of its traditional elegance either. I found the people there to be so nice and welcoming, even once a shopkeeper inviting my small group to the back of his shop for tea (which is the best thing in the world…almost). And while there may be more tourists now, I don’t think it’s affecting the local culture much. And I hope it stays that way – I will be visiting again when I’m in Spain next year! 🙂

2. Liz April 17, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

hey, we were there for a long weekend in November, but I took this pic in the touristy part of the souks, so maybe thats why. I have found the people there and in egypt to be so welcoming and friendly. I definitely have been invited for tea and hookah on several different occasions, but mostly when I buy things haha. I hope you get to go back next year! 🙂

3. Megan April 20, 2012 at 11:49 am #

i havent been to any of these countries yet 🙁 one day…one day!

4. pdf November 23, 2012 at 11:56 am #

great issues altogether, you just won a new reader.
    What may you recommend in regards to your publish that you simply made some days in the past?
    Any positive?

5. Jean January 3, 2013 at 2:01 am #

How was managing your peanut allergy? We want to go and our son also has a life threatening allergy to peanuts.

6. Shawn January 22, 2013 at 8:40 pm #

Good way of explaining, and nice post to get information about my presentation subject,
    which i am going to present in academy.

7. Mike March 1, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Morocco made me feel the same way. It was full of life and color, but yet slightly scary at the same time. It was the first time I had really ever been somewhere that made me feel that way. However, I still want to go back and explore more, even though I know it will probably still make me feel a little uneasy.

8. Marysia @ My Travel Affairs July 27, 2013 at 4:40 am #

Ha ha ha, yes the bazaar is one of the most hectic ones I have ever visited! And it is so easy to spend there hours!

9. Tom August 1, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

I went to Marrakech a couple of years ago and found it to be one of the nicest (maybe not in the traditional sense of the term) places I’ve ever visited. Culturally it’s such an eye-opener. And in regards to what you said about not being able to communicate, I speak French and trust me, it doesn’t make it any less chaotic!

10. Julia November 13, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

I just came back from Marrakech 2 weeks ago and i absolutely loved it. I’ve wanted to go to Morocco for as long as I can remember and I cant even exactly say why. Its just been my dream destination and I was not disappointed! I can’t describe Marrakech without sounding like a bit of a hippy (not that theres anything wrong with hippies :P) but there is just a vibe in the city, it just feels alive and more real than most places in Europe or the US that I’ve been to (I am a fellow seasoned traveler myself 🙂 ). Its a different world for sure. All I know is, I am most definitely going back for an extended trip next year. However, for now, there is still henna oh my palms (Henna Cafe is great) and my apartment smells of wonderful spices.

• Camila November 21, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

Hey Julia,

Could I ask you some more questions about your trip to Morocco? I´m thinking of going alone this december and would like some insight from a more seasoned traveler!

• Solaine January 5, 2015 at 9:21 am #

Hi Julia &/or Camila,
      I’m a solo female traveler planning a trip to Morocco next October. It’s still a long time away however I’m curious to know how you felt as a solo female traveller In Morocco! I’d love to hear some feed back.
      Thanks

11. Rachel March 7, 2014 at 10:16 am #

It’s kind of weird that someone with so much travel experience and open to the world would list Morocco and Egypt under the Middle East section. They are both in Africa and far far away from the middle East.

12. Mariam December 1, 2014 at 3:51 am #

Please stop defining Morocco as Middle East… Morocco is in North Africa and a such has it’s own distinctiveness.

• Caroline Achieng Otieno January 8, 2015 at 1:46 am #

Thank you Mariam for noting that..Liz should open up an Africa category and list Egypt and Morocco there..they are North African countries, not “Middle Eastern”..sigh

• Said April 5, 2016 at 2:29 am #

@Mariam, Liz dosent said Morocco in Middle Eastern, but she said Have you ever been to Morocco or any Middle Eastern country? There is the word “OR”. Be careful in reading.

13. Jennifer April 6, 2015 at 10:56 am #

Coming back from Morocco tomorrow after nearly 2 weeks here and can’t wait to get the hell out of this country. I especially disliked Marrakesh and do NOT understand any who talk of a so-called allure.

14. Jen November 1, 2015 at 3:44 pm #

Went to Morocco by myself back in 2001. Best.Trip.Ever! The locals were so friendly and fun, and that made for some of the best memories. My only regret is that I didn’t go for the camel ride on the beach in Essouria. I felt safe being there on my own, but you always have to use common sense. Would go back in a heartbeat if the opportunity presents itself.

15. Grecel January 7, 2016 at 3:11 pm #

HI Liz – I was in Marrakesh in the summer of 2014 and I couldn’t agree with you more. You can easily get lost in the markets. If was fun just watching the hussle and bussle of the market. The best time to go to the markets I find is at night. I wouldn’t recommend going to Marrakesh in the summer though. I got sunburned on my last day there. 🙂

16. Laura | Morocco Best Travel December 18, 2016 at 6:17 am #

Thanks for your informative article,
    i like your blog so much, so keep up the great work