Don’t Underestimate Turkey in Winter

Turkey winter destination

One of the most frequent questions I get asked nowadays is what’s my favorite country.

Um, is it just me or is that the hardest question in the world?! Don’t ask me that – it’s like picking a favorite child…out of around 30….

I guess I’ve been busy!

Turkey winter destination

You don’t get this shot of Ephesus in the summer

Turkey winter destination

Places stand out for me for many different reasons, and there’s rarely been I place that I seriously didn’t enjoy. But it’s like comparing apples to oranges, and I hate to exclude anyone so I usually answer, well, “I loved Iceland, but Spain has my heart, and OMG Italy you just can’t beat, but Jordan is absolutely incredible…” the list goes on and on as I evade the question.

I love everything, ok?! What can I say?

But there is one country that’s always in the back of my mind, a place I don’t think always gets the attention it deserves, and depending on how hungry I am when asked the dreaded “favorite country” questions, it usually is the first one out of my mouth.

Turkey.

Turkey winter destination

I can hardly believe that 10 months have gone by since I traveled to Turkey on what would become the slippery slope downwards to becoming a professional travel blogger – whatever THAT means.

Turkey has gotten a lot of shit this past year in the media, but you know what? It is STILL one of my all-time favorite countries. Now I know I just completely undermined my own authority in offering advice about favorite countries, but let me just say, I love Turkey.

And a solid 70% of my love of this east-meets-west country is rooted in food. Turkish food is phe-NOM-e-nal – see what I did there?

Noms.

Turkey winter destination

I might get a lot of hate for this, but I feel confident shouting out loud that Turkey is generally considered to be a summer destination, or at least “warm weather” destination. From the sexy coastline to hiking activities, at least for me, I usually thought of going to Turkey when it was warm enough to swim somewhere pretty and get a tan.

Boy was I wrong.

Not only is Turkey fucking stunning in winter, I would even argue that it’s even BETTER visited in the colder months.

I know, I know, I know. Hear me out.

While the same can be said for places around the world, here are my thoughts on why Turkey shouldn’t be overlooked in winter.

1. It’s significantly cheaper

Prepare to have your mind blown. Are you ready?

The reason I decided to head to Turkey in February was because I was searching for cheap getaways on Skyscanner, and it popped up.

Washington D.C. – Istanbul, round-trip on Lufthansa, Friday afternoon to the following Sunday afternoon

$391

ROUND-TRIP!!

Turkey winter destination

Holy crap! Those are 2008 prices! When you see a deal that good, there is only one thing you do, click buy and don’t look back!

And it only gets better from there.

Traveling in Turkey in February is incredibly cheap because it’s the major off-season. This means that hotels are discounted significantly – in fact, most hotels offer a winter-summer price list. The same goes for tours, restaurants and activities. There is usually a discount for booking in the winter.

I’m not talking about a measly $20-$30 off, I mean like a 75% reduction.

And I don’t know about you guys, but I love a discount!

2. It’s empty

If there is one thing I hate when traveling, it’s crowds. Not a fan.

Large groups of people make me anxious. Large groups of idiot cruise ship tourists (which is pretty much all of western Turkey in the summer) make me want to go hide somewhere and never come out again.

But in winter? No cruises! No idiots! Turkey is empty except for Turkish people and some brave foreigners.

Empty bazaar in Istanbul

The perks of visiting a popular destination in off-season are endless. Less crowds means no waiting in line. For example, to visit the famous Hagia Sofia even in winter has a line, but I went early and waited about 5 minutes. I can ONLY imagine how lovely that gets in the summertime.

I loved getting lost in the back streets of Istanbul with only a few mangy cats for company. I loved hiking all over Cappadocia and not seeing a single soul. I loved exploring the ancient city of Ephesus with about 10 other people.

For me, you can’t beat traveling halfway across the world to a gorgeous historic and fabulous country AND feel like you have the place to yourself. It was as if I rented Turkey for a week and it was all for me.

3. It’s easier to meet locals

Because you aren’t fighting tooth and nail to get around large crowds of tourists, this means you are much more likely to have a more local and authentic experience, if that’s your jam – I know it is for me!

The natives are friendlier because they aren’t jaded from listening to hundreds of tourists ask where they can buy good carpets and thus are much more likely to talk to you.

Learning to cook Turkish food with Turkish Flavours in Istanbul

Maybe because I was traveling alone, but I found Turks to be some of the most inviting and hospitable people I’ve ever encountered on the road. I made friends everywhere I went, and I really enjoyed learning about the culture and history from complete strangers and people I just happened to meet on the road.

I make a point of trying to do this wherever I travel, and I can tell you firsthand, it is much more difficult to do in places crowded with tourists and visitors.

From getting my fortune read in the famous coffee dregs in Turkish to learning to cook traditional dishes in the home of the owner Turkish Flavours to making pottery with local artisans in Cappadocia to learning to weave near Ephesus, I felt like I really got to experience some truly local moments, and that makes all the difference for me.

4. It’s absolutely gorgeous

Again, when I envisioned Turkey over the past few years, my mind was plastered with images of rocky beaches, crystalline waters, and endless sunshine.

It’s so much more than that.

My first day in Cappadocia, I was touring around with Middle Earth Travel, and I was completely knackered because I got up at the crack of dawn to go hot air ballooning but it was cancelled because of the winds. It was a blustery cloudy day outside, nothing special, and I fell asleep with my face smooshed against the glass window of the van as we drove to the next site.

When I woke up, the world had gone white. Apparently I died and had gone to Narnia.

Turkey winter destination

The landscape was covered in crisp, fresh snow, and boy, if I didn’t think Cappadocia was magical before, I did now.

Being me, I immediately blurted out, “STOP THE VAN,” so we could get out and take photos.

Seeing this ancient land, completely bereft of people and covered in a soft layer of snow was not something I’d likely soon forget.

Absolutely silent and peaceful, standing there in that vast white countryside, I realized  how happy I was with choosing Turkey to travel to in winter.

And it only got better over the next two days where I spent outside exploring Cappadocia in the snow, especially seeing it from the skies hot air ballooning at dawn. Somehow getting to see it covered in snow made it all the more special and memorable, knowing it was an occurrence that few got to witness.

Turkey winter destination

Visiting Turkey in February was eye-opening in many respects, but perhaps the biggest take-away I left with was having my eyes opened to visiting a place outside of the standard tourist calendar. Have you ever been surprised by a place like that?

Have you ever been to Turkey? Would you consider going in winter? Have you ever to a popular tourist destination way outside of the off season? What did you think? Spill!

, ,

64 Responses to Don’t Underestimate Turkey in Winter

1. Emma December 8, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Hi Liz!

I LOVE this post! I’m currently living and working in Dubai, U.A.E. and Turkey and Jordan are seriously the next two destinations I am dyyying to visit! I also really love winter (I’m from the Canadian prairies), so travelling to Turkey in the winter looks like it would be a lot of fun!

On another note, I found your blog when I was researching Luxor, Egypt and I’m now addicted to your blog! Your Luxor posts were very helpful, so thank you :)

I went to Luxor for 4 days last weekend, and it was fantastic. Egypt has also received tons of negative press lately, and Luxor is seriously hurting from the lack of tourism. For example, my group and I (4 ladies plus our guide) were the ONLY people in attendance at the Karnak Sound and Light Show, whereas there used to be 300-400 tourists in attendance. We were totally safe the entire trip and I wish more people would go!

You should come visit the U.A.E. or Oman next on your quest to conquer the Middle East!

- Emma :)

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

I WILL def come visit! I really love the middle east, though I had mixed feelings about Luxor – how did you deal with the touts? In spite of all that you are 100% right, tourism is dead in Egypt right now and it’s so sad!

I have a lot of posts about Jordan and Turkey on here, be sure to check them out!

2. Megan December 8, 2013 at 9:32 am #

I visited Andalusian Spain over the week of Thanksgiving and it was perfect. My apartment and rental car were cheaper and the tourist sites were much less crowded than they would have been in high season. The weather was even perfect! I totally agree with you on traveling at “off-peak” times in order to be able to better enjoy yourself.

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

I love Andalucia! Where did you go?

3. Trevor Huxham December 8, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Off-season travel pretty much comes with the territory of being a language assistant here in Spain, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I initially experienced Córdoba and Granada in the winter (brrrrrrrrr) but even though the skies were gray and it was a bit rainy, it was refreshing to explore those cities for the first time without the massive hordes of tourists they’re known for.

Turkey looks beautiful, and it keeps moving up my to-visit list! ^_^

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

Yup, I love Andalucia in winter, I have great memories traveling around there!

4. Huseyin December 8, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Hi Liz,

Have you been to northeast of Turkey? If you haven’t you should see the magnificent nature and the plateaus of Kackar Mountains. I have been to Rize and Artvin province last year and there were totally different local culture, an amazing nature and the plateaus. Every season is amazing in Rize and Artvin, here are some keywords on Google,

Huseyin

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 5:26 pm #

Thanks for the tips! I really wanted to head to that part of Turkey but I didn’t have time on this trip – I will DEFINITELY be coming back!

5. Amanda December 8, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

I’m a big fan of off-season travel. I’ve been to places like Ottawa, Chicago, New Zealand, and Iceland in the winter months and have always had a great time. Next I need to hit up Europe in the winter – I’m sure it’s VERY different than in the busy summer months!

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

yeah I backpacked in central Europe in the dead of winter in college and it was awesome but freezing!

6. Rachel @ Hippie in Heels December 8, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

great post it looks amazing and i am so shocked at that skyscanner deal. awesome, i’m on their site now to see where i can go :) I live in goa year round and during off-season it’s DEAD and I love it. it’s monsoon. the rain is strong, the flowers are in bloom, the monkeys are crazzzy and there are no people in sight… now it’s season time and it’s packed and hot!

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

Ah cool! How do you like Goa? Yeah I had heard about skyscanner, downloaded their app and would waste a lot of time on it at work last year when this deal finally popped up

7. Erica December 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

I had to laugh at your post title — I’m typing this from Fethiye on the south western coast of Turkey. It is definitely off-season right now; I both love it and find it somewhat frustrating. The lack of crowds is a huge (huge) plus. But a few spots are either totally closed off (Mount Nemrut) or operating on such a limited schedule (ferry to Rhodes from Turkey) that I can’t get there during my visit. But you are spot-on about off-season prices and how it’s easier to meet locals this time of year. My only wish is that I arrived two weeks earlier to access some of the spots that have just shut down. The tail end of the shoulder season would be perfect! LOVE this country.

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

Ah that’s frustrating! Why’s Mount Nemrut closed? Yeah shoulder seasons are also fab times to visit places like Turkey

8. Kirsten December 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

Love this post btw. I’ve been to Turkey twice – both times in the summer – and as much as I loved it the crowds could get a little much to be honest. I have every intention of going back one of these days though so I guess I’ll have to try it during one the more wintery months next time around.

I was in Egypt during the May 2012 elections fiasco when tourism to the country was down and besides the Pyramids & St. Catherine’s Monastery everything was pretty dead – so nice and empty! Karnak & Luxor temples were almost completely void of other tourists as well as Abu Simbel. The antiquities museum in Cairo was fairly dead too aside from locals. Makes it so much easier and nicer to just stand there and be able to take in everything that you’re seeing & experiencing. It also made taking the copious amount of pictures I always seem to take easier too ;)

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

yeah I really enjoyed Egypt when it was empty. Such a fascinating country. I can’t deal with crowds, it really stresses me out, that’s why I loved Turkey in February, I had the place to myself!

9. Holger December 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm #

I like your Article much. I would like mention the Lycian Coast in Turkey is a very interesting place to visit Ancient cities and more POIs in off season. If you are interested please visit our Lykia Guide Webpage or become a follower on Facebook.

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

thanks! I am really hoping to get back to Turkey to do the Lycian way one day!

10. Christin December 8, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Hey Liz,

great post! :) Fits my travel plans perfectly. I`m going to start studying in Turkey in Februrary but before uni starts I`m going to Istanbul for a few days. I hope to see as much of Turkey as possible during the Semester, even in winter. Do you have any tips particulary for Istanbul?
    Best wishes from cold Germany,
    Christin

• Liz December 9, 2013 at 3:56 am #

If you like to eat then I recommend Selin’s food tour or cooking classes with Turkish Flavours, it was the best part of my time in Istanbul!

11. Shaz December 8, 2013 at 8:16 pm #

Ooooh… Turkey had never been high on my list but I think it just moved up a few notches. I love visiting countries in the off-season! It means you can take photos of popular attractions without a billion heads in the view :)

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

EXACTLY! Turkey is just beautiful! I love it there!

12. Whitney December 8, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

I’ve been to Turkey several times, twice on a cruise–don’t judge me! ;)

But most recently I ventured to Istanbul from my then home of Bulgaria on an overnight bus last January. Along with 2 friends, I explored the city by foot for 5 days. The city in January was drastically different than when I visited previously in the summer.

We waltzed right in to Hagia Sophia, no line whatsoever! The Cisterns were uncrowded as were the Grand bazaar and spice market.

I completely agree that Turkey is not to be missed overall, and a trip in winter is more than worthwhile. (I can say the same for Bulgaria, but I am a bit biased being married to a Bulgarian and having had the opportunity to live in the country).

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

yay that’s awesome, I’m so happy to hear you loved Istanbul in January!

13. Ashley of Ashley Abroad December 8, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

Great post! I traveled to Turkey in January and had an absolutely incredible time… my cousin lives there and has a Turkish boyfriend so I got to see (and eat!) a lot of things I wouldn’t have otherwise.

• Liz December 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm #

That’s the best! I love visiting places and staying with people who live there, you take away so much more. And the food. OMG!!

14. SnarkyNomad December 9, 2013 at 12:05 am #

I did the exact same thing, and it was just fine. Down jackets, kids. They’re awesome.

This one girl in the hostel had not-waterproof shoes and walked around in the snow all day, water leaked in, and soaked her foot and basically froze to it. She had to put her feet by the heater for hours. So yeah. Waterproof shoes. Probably a good idea.

• Liz December 9, 2013 at 3:57 am #

wow that sucks. Who doesn’t travel without waterproof shoes in winter?

15. Natalie December 9, 2013 at 1:41 am #

I agree, Turkey is just as great in the winter if you are sticking to places like Istanbul or Cappadocia. However much of the Med and Aegean coasts will disappoint, at this time of year. Bars, tour shops, and restaurants generally shut shop for six months and some resorts are ghost towns. I am in Didim at the moment, and went out Saturday night. Just one bar was open and we were the only people in it all night. I can’t even take a winter walk along the beach because the council has stopped cleaning it and the local street dogs use it as a toilet!

However, there are also a lot of ski resorts that are enjoying a booming trend at the moment, but i think to see Cappadocia under snow is awesome! I have been there twice but going back for the third time, so I can get snow pictures like above!

• Liz December 9, 2013 at 4:02 am #

It’s so pretty in the snow, yeah I know the resort towns would be dead, but luckily Turkey has so much to offer besides beaches! That being said, I do want to get there at some point when the weather’s nice haha

16. Sarah Palin December 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

Okay, I don’t know much about Turkey, as I’ve never been, but do you know why it is called Turkey? Is it named after the animal? I’ve always wondered that.

Also, why didn’t I consider a career in travel blogging instead of politics eh?

• Liz December 10, 2013 at 2:39 am #

OMG WHO ARE YOU?

17. Heather December 9, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

I hate traveling during the summer because I loathe crowds (though I have more patience for them after two years in China.) But I’m also not a fan of cold weather so that complicates things. I’ve found that late September is an ideal time to visit Europe. The temps are still lovely and the tourists have thinned out enough to give you some elbow room at the major sites.

• Liz December 10, 2013 at 2:39 am #

Yep, September is a great time in Europe, even October can still be nice.

18. Sam Anthony December 10, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Normally I’m all about off-season travel too but after going Ibiza at the end of November I think I’ll rethink winter island travel. It was great for seeing places like the beautiful Old Town and hiking without the masses, but otherwise it was pretty strange just because of how dead it was. It was like they were preparing for the apocalypse or something – everything was shuttered up and closed, and I’m not just talking the clubs but normal restaurants and stores too. Plus it was just torture not being able to swim in the beautiful water!! Thinking I’ll try to head back in May before the tourist hoards truly descend haha. But I still don’t regret going in November because of how ridiculously cheap everything was!

• Liz December 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Yeah I hear you, was it not warm enough in Ibiza in November? I went once in October to Mallorca and I could still swim

19. Pauline December 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

You may have just convinced me to book a flight to Turkey this upcoming February. OH MY GOODNESS.

• Liz December 10, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

OMG you’re going to love it, and I’m sure you’ll get a good deal on the flight!!

20. Anna-Claire Gibson December 11, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

I did the exact same thing and went to Turkey exactly a year ago. It was perfect. Granted I’ve wanted to go there forever and a day, but it was so wonderful in winter. Ephesus was almost empty (still can’t image it in summer), we had the Grand Bazaar pretty much all to ourselves, could spend as long as we wanted anywhere, mingled with the locals much easier because they were the only other people around…I could go on forever. I love Turkey. Everyone should love Turkey.

• Liz December 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

totally agree! Turkey is amazing!

21. Daniel Santos December 11, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

I also totally considered Turkey a more summer-y destination, but after seeing many pictures of the snow in Istanbul this week all over instagram, and then reading this post, I want to see both sides of Turkey, the warm and cold. Thanks for sharing!

Daniel

• Liz December 11, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

I hope you get there someday and don’t be afraid of going in winter, it’s lovely!

22. Alyson December 20, 2013 at 9:54 am #

I was lucky enough to live in Turkey, and you’re right, especially in Istanbul, it’s so much easier to get around to the sites in the winter! But, in the beach towns, like many have said, all will be quiet. I’ve found that even in the summer, if you get away from the beach itself, you can get some sites all to yourself still!! We were in Oludeniz in July, and while the Blue Lagoon was teaming, we went out to Kayakoy (ghost city) with nearly no one there, and at Amynthas Tombs we were the only people.

Even after all my travels, I still have to say, Turkey is one of my favourite places, not that I’m biased!! :)

• suraksha December 26, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Ashley
      I want to visit Istanbul in February (mid -late)2014. I know from what has been written in this post , its not a bad idea to visit then. Does it rain or snow during that time( I mean too much ??).I would like some information on where I could stay so that I am near sites of tourist interest(safe, clean and nominally priced accommodations). I am a woman in mid 50s living in USA , but am hesitant to travel there ( although I have done many international travels alone). Your reply is very much appreciated. It would be great to get in touch with you when I am there.

• Liz January 3, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

I am not in Turkey anymore but look through my Turkey posts, I have lots of tips in them. I stayed at the Hotel Empress Zoe in Istanbul and the Kelebek Cave Hotel in Cappadocia, both amazing places! It didn’t snow or rain too much when I was there, but it’s good to pack layers just in case. It really was the coolest place I’ve been!

• suraksha December 26, 2013 at 2:56 pm #

Alyson
      I wrote my email to “Ashley”(by mistake, when it was meant to be for you)
      Here is the same email addressed to you
      Alyson

23. Shanghai Ronin January 14, 2014 at 6:26 am #

Wow, $391 round trip? Did that include everything? I can’t even fly to New York from Salt Lake City on such a price!

I know how you feel about avoiding the crowds. Even the most beautiful place in the world can turn ugly and sinister once it’s crawling with swarms of tour buses, littered in packaging and blinded by the flash of hundreds of cameras. Here in China, the great wall and yellow mountain (the most spectacular mountain in all of China) turn into a sea of people on the weekends. It completely destroys the entire experience, avoiding the hawked loogies while trying to find your thoughts through the throngs of Chinese tourists screaming in your ear.

I think you did a great job on this post–I’m completely sold on a winter Turkey trip!

How much is it to hot air balloon by the way? Is it quite affordable?

24. Gizem January 28, 2014 at 7:39 am #

Hi

For a turkish person who lives in Netherland and misses her country so much, it was very nice to see this post. If you want to visit ankara one day just e-mail me. I can be your tourist guide ! :)

• Liz January 28, 2014 at 1:28 pm #

I definitely want to visit Ankara, thank you!

25. Meg February 6, 2014 at 12:21 am #

A lot of Aussies go over there for ANZAC day during the winter months, I hope to go one day for the ceremony.. Its only a dawn service but its still something! :)

26. Kemkem February 16, 2014 at 6:49 am #

Hi,
    I found your blog through buzzfeed. We visited Istanbul the end if January. It was sensational. Your pictures are fantastic. The weather was great, even though it rained 2 out of the 7 days. It was less crowded. How nice to be able to meet the locals and eat the most wonderful foods. I can’t wait to go back, and have l check Skyscanner every day for another sale. It’s only a 2 hour flight for us from Malta. I really really really love Istanbul and can’t wait to discover other parts of it….

27. Properties in Turkey April 3, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Winter should be spent in Turkey!!

1. #NGTRadar: Travel Lately – Intelligent Travel - December 11, 2013

[…] a destination during shoulder season can have huge pay offs–and Turkey is a great example. Reasonable prices, smaller crowds, and beautiful scenery make this temperate destination the […]

2. Best Travel Hacks and Steals | EN.SamacharYug.com - March 22, 2014

[…] can search dates instead of destinations. Carlson scored a roundtrip ticket from D.C. to Istanbul for $390 last year using this nifty […]

3. Best Travel Hacks and Steals – Forbes | Everyday News Update - March 22, 2014

4. Best Travel Hacks and Steals – Forbes | News Station Online - March 22, 2014

5. Best Travel Hacks and Steals | GT Trends, We're Going Places - March 22, 2014

6. Best Travel Hacks and Steals – Forbes | Trending News | Latest News | Online News | Reliable News| Fast News At Reliablenewsupdate.com - March 22, 2014

7. Best Travel Hacks and Steals – Forbes | Find Travel Hotel Discounts, Budget Hotel Deals Worldwide. - March 22, 2014

8. Best Travel Hacks and Steals – Forbes | NewsBreakOnline.com - March 22, 2014

9. Best Travel Hacks and Steals – Forbes | Tourism Gateways - March 22, 2014

10. Best Travel Hacks and Steals – Forbes | Travel Hotel Flight - March 23, 2014

11. Best Travel Hacks and Steals – Forbes | NEWS HEADLINES - March 23, 2014