20 photos that made me love Alberta

Icefields Parkway

Wow, just wow did Alberta, Canada blow me away this January!

As an American, I’ll be the first to admit that I am totally one of those people who never appreciated my own backyard until I left. When I was I kid I dreamed of Peruvian jungles and sipping coffee by the Eiffel Tower. North America was only on my radar as a place to leave.

In fact I’ve never really been anywhere in North America. Time for that to change.

Now that I have been overseas for most of my adulthood, I’ve come to really appreciate everything there is to be found right back where I’m from. And only when I moved to New Zealand a few years ago and my love for nature was rekindled did I start to look to my longtime neighbor to the great white north – Canada.

visit alberta canada

Want to become a pro landscape photographer? Learn from an expert, Elia Locardi, in this awesome digital download course!

Bow Valley Parkway

So many of my friends in New Zealand have traveled to Canada and shared their amazing stories with me. It was easy to get inspired. And when I spent the winter hanging out with my Canadian buddies Hecktic Travels in Wanaka, did I really start to imagine visiting Alberta and finally getting to rest my eyes on the Rocky Mountains.

Spoiler alert – it blew all my expectations out of the water!

While I can’t wait to dive in and start sharing all the amazing stories and memorable moments from my 10 days road tripping around Alberta, I thought I’d start off with a little inspirational feature about my favorite 20 photos from the trip that convinced me that I loved this mighty epic area of Canada!

Enjoy!

P.S. if you’re curious about my camera gear that I used on this trip, be sure to check out my post about it here

Johnston Canyon

The tasty Calgary food scene

As a general rule, I’ve found that the colder the country the less exciting the food scene generally is. Is it just me?

Anyways, I was surprised and elated to discover that Calgary has an awesome growing foodie scene. What an introduction!

And not just Calgary, I ate really well my entire time in Alberta. But what was most standout for me was my very first day in Alberta I spent the whole morning hanging out at the Simmons Building, eating my way through the best of the best. Don’t worry, I have so much more to share about this soon, but my brunch at Charbar was one of my favorite meals in a long time.

visit alberta canada

The mindblowingly awesome road trips

In hindsight, while I was in Alberta for 10 days, I didn’t cover very much ground, which was perfectly fine by me. I like to take things slow and really get to know the places I visit, what about you?

I had a really nice SUV rental (4 wheel drive) which is essential on a winter road trip in Alberta. All the roads are covered in ice and snow and it was great not having to worry about chains or not being able to go where I wanted to go.

My favorite drive was on the Bow Valley Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise. Seriously, don’t miss this one, it’s epic! And there is usually wildlife about too!

Photo Jan 10, 2 51 23 AM

Bow Valley Parkway
visit alberta canada

Want to take your landscape photos to the next level? I can personally recommend this awesome landscape photography course by Elia Locardi!

Icefields Parkway

Road 724 out of Canmore

The frozen lakes that made me a bit nervous

It’s been a long time since I’ve experienced a “real” winter and one of my favorite surprises was seeing all of the frozen lakes. How magical!

At first I was a bit skeptical to walk out on them but considering the highs when I was in Alberta hovered around a balmy -15 celsius and the lakes were covered in footprints, snowshoe prints, and ski tracks, I thought my chances of staying above water were fairly good.

It had been a long time (since I went to college in New England) since I played around in so much snow and was in such a winter wonderland of frozen lakes. Man, it was beautiful!

Lake Minnewanka

The fairy tale frozen waterfalls

Again, I don’t think I had ever really seen that many frozen waterfalls before I went to Alberta, and definitely none as beautiful as the walk along Johnston Canyon near Banff.

I woke up bright and early super excited to finally see Johnston Canyon. It was the coldest day I’ve experienced in my whole life around -27 celsius, but it was so still and pure I loved every minute of it.

Even when my hair froze.

I joined the first tour of the day with Discover Banff Tours out to the canyon, and the snow was still sparkling and was so dry it squeaked under my feet. I couldn’t believe it. It was definitely the most fairytale moment of my trip!

Johnston Canyon

Mush mush dogsledding time!

I was so excited to try dogsledding in Canada. I had been once before in Wanaka, but I was dying to try it out in a place where it was really renowned.

After leaving Calgary, I drove straight to Canmore and hopped on a dogsled adventure for the afternoon with Snowy Owl Tours.

And it was all kinds of magical, guys. Between zooming through the frosted trees and getting my first real glimpse of the Rocky Mountains to playing around with the pups, I was in heaven. HEAVEN!!

This was the Alberta I had been dreaming about!

Quite a few of you guys have been asking me about my red jacket – I wore the Musher jacket by Parajumpers (which is on sale now btw) during my trip to Canada and holy crap did it keep me alive. You need a really solid jacket to visit Canada in January, and this one was amazing. I’ll be writing more about them soon as I am collaborating with PJ this year on some fun frosty projects.

Working on my snowboarding at Sunshine and Lake Louise

Ok, I’m not going to lie. One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Canada was to have my first real snow trip. Because I just properly learned to snowboard in New Zealand this past winter, (I’m using the word “proper” veeeerrrry loosely here guys haha) I was dying to hit the slopes at some of the big resorts in North America, and the Big 3 around Banff was at the top of my list.

I caught the gondola up to Sunshine Village at sunset after arriving in Banff and was blown away by the sheer size! I stayed at the resort for the night and woke up to a layer of fresh snow before hitting the slopes. I loved the mellow wide runs and getting to glide through the trees for the first time. It was amazing!

After that I spent two days at Lake Louise getting better and enjoying the amazing views (and food)!

Basically I decided I need to move to Banff to do a proper snow season, what do you guys think?

Admiring the starry skies

Just like New Zealand, Alberta has some beautiful dark skies. Besides the chance of seeing the Northern Lights, visiting in winter means you have much longer nights and you don’t have to stay up quite so late to stargaze, which obviously I am a big fan of.

My favorite memory of watching the stars was just outside Canmore. I drove up there at night and had the place to myself, watching the stars twinkle over the warmly lit town surrounded by the Rockies.

It was a beautiful moment I won’t be forgetting anytime soon.

visit alberta canada

Want to take photos like this? Consider this incredible photography course designed by Elia Locardi, one of the best in the business!

Hanging out in the cozy cabins

I was so excited to stay at the Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff because it looked like just what I imagined – rustic, cozy wooden cabins complete with clawfoot tubs and your own fire.

I never wanted to leave this place it was heaven!

It was tucked away just outside town with the most beautiful views of the mountains, and it was snowing when I arrived. Seriously couldn’t have been more idyllic!

visit alberta canada

Pretending to be good at snowshoeing

Sometimes I really have to wonder what it must be like to be naturally athletic. Seriously, what is it like??

As much as I struggle with all sorts of sports and outdoor activities, I still love them and throw myself into them wholeheartedly. And in the case of snowshoeing, throwing myself through the snow, usually on my face. Walking is hard guys.

I LOVED snowshoeing! While in Canmore I flew up by helicopter to the nearby Kananaskis Country (where they filmed parts of the Revenant btw) with White Mountain Adventures for some heli-snowshoeing. Yes, it was super epic. The perfect alternative for winter backcountry adventures for people who aren’t serious skiers, it was the most perfect way to experience the pure wilderness of the Rockies.

Pigging out on poutine

Enough said.

*Here’s an amazing article about how awesome Poutine is.

visit alberta canada

I chowed down on some amazing poutine at the Eddie Burger Bar in Banff, along with a great burger. Oink oink!

Walking around the frosted forests

If I had to chose one thing that I absolutely loved above all else in Alberta, weirdly enough it would probably be the forests.

One thing we don’t have enough of in Wanaka is old forest, and I really really miss getting to explore the woods in my free time.

And Alberta has no shortage of massive old forests just waiting to be explored. And the best part of going in winter besides seeing the trees heaving with snow? All the grizzlies are sleeping.

Somewhere on the Bow Valley Parkway

On the shores of Lake Louise

Learning about the hot pools and the history of Banff (because I’m a history nerd guys)

One of the first spots I checked out in Banff town was the Cave and Basin, a historical site with thermal hot springs.

In the mid-1800s the springs and cave were “discovered” by explorers and railway workers and it was turned into a reserve which eventually became the birthplace of Canada’s national parks in 1885.

You can’t swim in them today but you can dethaw and warm up at the nearby Banff Upper Hot Springs.

Finally getting to visit Lake Louise

I know Lake Louise is iconic but I can’t help it, it was a place I was dreaming of visiting on this trip. And I was super excited to see it in winter, instead of from the stock standard Instagram photo of it from the blue lake from a canoe.

There wasn’t a hint of blue when I was there, it was covered with a layer of ice and snow and the trees were frosted in the distance.

I had a great view of the lake and glacier from my room at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise and was up every morning before sunrise to inch my way along the lake admiring the amazing scenery.

Alberta, you rock.

Have you guys been to Alberta? Do you enjoy traveling in winter? Any spots here you dream of visiting too? Share!

visit alberta canada

Disclaimers: Many thanks to Travel Alberta for hosting me in Canada. Aaaand some of the links in this post are affiliate links (I gotta pay the bills). But like always I’m keeping it real – all opinions are my own, like you could expect less from me.

120 Responses to 20 photos that made me love Alberta

1. Rena February 9, 2016 at 8:39 pm #

Alberta is unbelievable beautiful! And I can’t believe how similar it looks there like here in Bavaria 🙂
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 8:26 am #

OMG it does look like Bavaria, doesn’t it??

2. Kate February 9, 2016 at 9:32 pm #

What an awesome trip! I’ve been to Alberta a couple of times now, but never like this! You’ve really discovered and showcased the best of the province. Also, the Calgary food scene is unreal! In the last few years it’s really come alive and is now one of the best in the country.

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 8:27 am #

It’s so good isn’t it???

3. Madi | The Restless Worker February 10, 2016 at 3:09 am #

It’s funny that you say you spent your whole life trying to get out of America – I’m very much the same way. I’m from Toronto (you should visit), and I have still never been out West! I’ve been to Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI and almost all over Ontario but yet have never stepped food in the West. Your pictures are inspiring and I definitely plan to head out West soon 🙂

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 8:29 am #

Do it!!

4. Dalene February 10, 2016 at 3:51 am #

Remember when we were in Wanaka and I said: “Yeah, this is beautiful, but I miss the trees I’m used to?” Now you get it. 😉

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 8:29 am #

YES I DO!! MORE TREES MORE TREES!!!

5. Lila February 10, 2016 at 4:59 am #

Totally amazing. I had gone to Banff for a short trip in the winters and couldn’t even do half of the adventures you had. Reading this urges me to plan an extended trip 🙂

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 8:29 am #

Do it if you can find the time, it’s worth exploring there, there is so much to see!

6. Sarah February 10, 2016 at 5:10 am #

This makes me so jealous because I’ve been wanting to go to Alberta for so long. These pictures are amazing!!! 🙂

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 8:29 am #

Thank you!

7. Sarah M. February 10, 2016 at 9:11 am #

Alberta looks amazing!! Will you be traveling to Canada again soon? (psst! the poutine is better in Montreal) 😉

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 7:21 pm #

I hope so! I need poutine in my life!!!

8. Petra February 10, 2016 at 9:27 am #

Wow, Liz, Alberta looks incredible! I’m now bummed we didn’t get there when we were living in Vancouver. Next time! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 7:22 pm #

OMG it was right there!!! guys!!!

9. Paige February 10, 2016 at 9:49 am #

Thank you so much for showcasing the mountains of Alberta in such a great way! As a Calgarian, I find that Alberta is under appreciated. It really is that beautiful in person. Our food scene in Calgary is definitely better than it once was, and getting better all the time. (Although I do agree that the poutine here is not quite as good as Montreal’s!)

My favorite daytrip from Calgary is Banff – upper hot springs (a must for me), and just walking through town (as it is so pretty, with the main street showcasing the mountains).

I hope your pictures have inspired more people to visit!

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 7:22 pm #

Yay thank you!!

10. Leanne February 10, 2016 at 9:58 am #

Liz! You are writing about my home and it’s making me the happiest. I’m a proud Calgarian and have always thought this little corner of the world doesn’t get as much attention as it should, so thank you for changing that!

Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise — the Rockies in general — are places I’ve grown to wonder how I’ll ever live without. These places have provided me with refuge, wonder, adventure … The list goes on. You’ve given our little area such justice with these photos and I seriously can’t wait to see the rest of your posts from your trip to Alberta. I’m so glad you had the great time that you did! Now you’ll just have to come back in summer, then in fall… The experiences you have in the Rockies vary so widely based on which season you visit in! Thanks again for the lovely tribute to Alberta:)

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 7:23 pm #

I know, I want to come back every season!!!

11. Ryan February 10, 2016 at 10:05 am #

Great read, never made it out there myself. Great photos Liz

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 7:23 pm #

Thanks!!

12. Grace February 10, 2016 at 12:10 pm #

Alberta looks all kinds of glorious! I’ve had Canada on my wish list for so long now, it’s getting ridiculous. I’ll have to go.

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 7:23 pm #

Make it happen!!

13. Gillian February 10, 2016 at 2:30 pm #

This makes me so happy! And homesick. I highly recommend a snow season there… and next time hop over to British Colombia as well. Your mind will continue to be blown!

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 7:24 pm #

I know, I’m dying to go back!

14. Andrew February 10, 2016 at 6:31 pm #

I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed my country and my provence so much. Sounds like it’s my turn to visit your country. Love your blog and hope all is well.

• Liz February 10, 2016 at 7:24 pm #

15. Ashley February 10, 2016 at 10:16 pm #

I’ve been following along on Instagram and saw some of these rad photos from home last month; they’re all gorgeous! That red jacket on the white snow looks great, and looks real Canadian!

Next time you head to Canada check out the east coast, Newfoundland is a beautiful place, incredible for hiking in the summer time and you can whale watch or see icebergs in June!

• Liz February 11, 2016 at 11:50 am #

There are so many places in Canada I want to visit!

16. Ayla February 10, 2016 at 10:40 pm #

I can see how you loved it so much! It looks absolutely gorgeous from your photos! 🙂

• Liz February 11, 2016 at 11:50 am #

It was even better in person!

17. Maria February 11, 2016 at 2:33 am #

I wanna go! I wanna go! Great post, with very inspiring photos 🙂

• Liz February 11, 2016 at 11:50 am #

18. Ron February 11, 2016 at 9:56 am #

Been quite a while since I’ve been in the Canadian Rockies. At the time I was full of enthusiasm and ready to explore but my job limited my travel time. Just driving used half of my vacation. Now I have the time but my old body won’t cooperate. Banff and Lake Louise were nice but too hectic and commercial for my taste but Jasper was great. A short drive out of town and down a dirt road at sunset big game animals were easy to find. I walked up to a moose to get a close photo with my Canon Ftb and was impressed by her size. Later learned moose are more dangerous than grizzly bears. Ignorance is bliss. Glad she didn’t charge it would like a sprint between a tortoise and hare back to my car.
    My trips to British Columbia and Alberta have been in late summer and fall when lakes, rivers, and streams are liquid and the outside temperature is within the normal operating temperature range of my cameras.

• Liz February 11, 2016 at 11:51 am #

Next time I’m going to Jasper!!!

19. amanda February 11, 2016 at 11:17 am #

This is my home! I live in Calgary! So glad you loved it. I have never snowshoed, gone dogsledding or snowboarded. I’m a winter hermit! I lived vicariously through this blog post. <3

• Liz February 11, 2016 at 11:51 am #

Oh cool! You are so close to Banff! It’s a day trip, you need to go out and explore there for me!!!

20. Justine February 11, 2016 at 11:40 am #

It’s nice to know that you liked Canada, it is very beautiful but cold, very cold. You are very brave to get out and explore at -30 celsius outside. I’m a canadian and I can comfirn how cold it is. I wish I could visit Alberta too, it seems really pretty and Banff is the place to be. I f you liked Alberta maybe you could go to Quebec (I’m from there). In summer, there are some cities that look exactly like those cliché old european cities.

21. Ashley February 11, 2016 at 5:54 pm #

Oh my God, these photos are breathtaking. I have island blood and hate the cold; after seeing these beautiful pictures I may have to get up there. The only places I’ve been in Canada are Brampton, Toronto, and Ottowa because I have Canadian family, but this… This is amazing.

• Liz February 12, 2016 at 9:00 pm #

Go to Alberta!!

22. Sharon February 12, 2016 at 7:34 am #

Canada is so beautiful, I know its the done thing to travel to exotic places for ‘the big trip’ but I’d love to spend a couple of months slow travelling from east to west Canada.

• Liz February 12, 2016 at 9:01 pm #

Me too!

23. Jason Bourne February 12, 2016 at 7:49 pm #

Canada is blessed with simply stunning natural beauty, classic cities and one of the most liberal and friendly locals. It is the ultimate travel destination in the world and has enough tourism attractions to keep tourists interested. Beautiful pictures of Alberta, Canada as well by Liz as well.

24. International Honeymoon Packages February 13, 2016 at 12:40 am #

These picture are natural beauty, and I congratulate you for clicking such a wonderful pics…

• Liz February 13, 2016 at 8:51 am #

thanks 🙂

25. solosophie February 13, 2016 at 2:08 am #

Wow, the scenery looks absolutely amazing! I’m hoping to visit Alberta this summer.. would be nice to see it during the snow as well though 🙂

• Liz February 13, 2016 at 8:52 am #

I want to go back in summer!

26. Dev February 13, 2016 at 5:10 am #

Hey, you have a knack of writing. Very nice and informative article. Keep up the good work 🙂

• Liz February 13, 2016 at 8:52 am #

27. Lauren February 13, 2016 at 4:10 pm #

I don’t know if I’m more impressed by the views or the actual camera itself!

• Liz February 15, 2016 at 1:57 pm #

the views of course 🙂

28. Amy | Toothbrush Travels February 14, 2016 at 3:58 am #

These pictures are stunning, and how awesome is that ice-castle!

• Liz February 15, 2016 at 1:57 pm #

So cool right?

29. John February 15, 2016 at 9:18 pm #

Amazing trip and great photos Liz. My wife and I did a similar trip as part of our honeymoon in Jan this year. We skied in Whistler then took the train from Vancouver to Jasper, stayed at Lake Louise and then finished off in Banff. We also did the Snowy Owl dog sledding to finish our holiday. We too could not get over how beautiful the Canadian Rockies are! It was our highlight! If you ever get the chance to return definitely visit Jasper. Maligne Ice Canyon and Pyramid Lake were spectacular and there’s always the wildlife. P.S You have the dream job. Travelling the world taking great photos! You’re so lucky!

• Liz February 16, 2016 at 4:46 pm #

What an epic trip!! I want to go back and do all of that too!

30. Lotte February 16, 2016 at 2:42 am #

What an amazing pictures and what an awesome adventure! The Poutine picture is making me very hungry…;-P

• Liz February 16, 2016 at 4:46 pm #

Me too!

31. Claudia February 16, 2016 at 6:11 am #

I hear you!! I have been never interested in North America and then all of a sudden all I can think of is Banff!!

• Liz February 16, 2016 at 4:46 pm #

RIGHT??

32. Sol February 16, 2016 at 8:11 am #

Hi Liz! Greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina!
    I loved this post about Alberta. I am huge fan of Mountains, here we have some great ones in Patagonia, but this ones I see in your pictures look beautifully different. Btw, amazing pictures!! All in all I really like your posts, pictures are great and is good to know possible future spots to visit some day (hopefully). I hope my reply dont end up in the hate post from 2016, consider it a suggestion, but I see this sponsored posts are way too comercial.. in the sense, almost every paragraph has a reference to a hotel, a travel company, a cloth brand, etc… I get it, this is a job, this guys pay for it, but, it looses the reall esence of this things, that is to talk about the place, its spirit and to motive the journey: the experience, some anecdotes, what you felt.. I dont know.. more soul and less selling. Again, I understand is necessary, but there must be some other way so it doenst feel you are just trying to make me buy your jacket. jajaja. While I read it, It remainded me the Truman Show movie! Again, I hope to take it as a suggestion coming from a good place, and not the other way around. Keep you reading! Best of luck!

• Liz February 16, 2016 at 4:48 pm #

haha I appreciate your suggestion, though in this the majority of those mentions aren’t sponsored, I included them so people would have an idea of operators to chose from if they wanted to book a trip there. I link to a lot of things in general. And I don’t really think I was pushy about the jacket, but if you don’t like it, don’t read it.

33. Rach-Very Hungry Nomads February 16, 2016 at 2:35 pm #

Yes, yes, yes!! I encourage you to go and live in Banff for a Winter Season! I did it, and it was one of the best years of my life. Such a beautiful place, and Sunshine Village is a wicked place to continue to ski or snowboard. Oh, how I miss Canada. Great post, awesome pics.

• Liz February 16, 2016 at 4:48 pm #

34. Hang Around The World February 16, 2016 at 11:00 pm #

Hi! I really like this post, it’s really interesting and origianl.
    When I read it I was able to imagine everything you’ve written. The photos (that are beautiful) did the remaider 😉
    If you had to choose one photo, which would you choose?

35. Lukas February 17, 2016 at 12:02 am #

Hey Liz! I randomly found your website on the internet 2 days ago. Since that I like reading your stories. I love travelling by myself, maybe that’s why I am on a journey through southeast Asia right now. After this article including those amazing pictures, Canada and especially Alberta is definitely on my bucket list 🙂 I started my own travelblog like 3 weeks ago – maybe if you once have some time left, feel free to check it out.
    All the best and safe future travels,
    Luke

• Liz February 18, 2016 at 9:45 am #

36. Lou February 17, 2016 at 10:56 am #

If you like forests get out to the West Coast : Haida Gwaii, Tofino (surfing???), Or start training so you can venture out on the West Coast Trail or Juan De Fuca on Vancouver Island. You will love it!

• Liz February 18, 2016 at 9:45 am #

I’d love to head out there one day, thanks for the tips!

37. Andrew February 17, 2016 at 5:38 pm #

Alberta is just as brilliant in winter as in summer. Also, the food in Calgary is incredible – glad you got to experience it!

• Liz February 18, 2016 at 9:54 am #

God I get hungry just thinking about it!

38. Liam February 17, 2016 at 7:14 pm #

Wow, your photos are amazing! Such a beautiful place. I can see why you love it there.

• Liz February 18, 2016 at 9:54 am #

It’s epic isn’t it??

39. Pelion hotel February 18, 2016 at 11:09 pm #

Truly amazing photos, I wanna go to this magnificent place too!

• Liz February 19, 2016 at 1:08 pm #

It’s pretty awesome!

40. Rachel February 19, 2016 at 6:23 am #

I live in Calgary, and your photos make me really appreciate the vast beauty of my province. I’ve only been to the mountains in winter a few times because it gets so darn cold, last time I stayed at the Rimrock and went to the hot springs, place was like a fairytale. I usually go out to Banff and head out on the hiking trails in the summer every year though. It’s a whole different kind of beautiful come summertime.

• Liz February 19, 2016 at 1:09 pm #

Awesome! I really want to come back in summer!

41. Izy berry February 25, 2016 at 6:44 pm #

Your photos are amazing I am in live with this place

• Liz February 25, 2016 at 8:14 pm #

thanks

42. suraj sharma February 29, 2016 at 10:44 pm #

Wow…!! “Liz” Thank you for sharing photos. These picture are wonderful. amazing photography really i like it your all photos.

• Liz March 2, 2016 at 8:09 pm #

43. Victoria Jackson March 1, 2016 at 12:14 pm #

This post actually reduced me to tears, it was so beautiful. I’m from Alberta (but I live in Australia now) and it was just a giant wave of homesickness the entire post. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Liz March 2, 2016 at 8:11 pm #

Thanks!!

44. Sindy March 3, 2016 at 2:07 pm #

I live in Alberta but I’ve never experienced Banff like i have through your pictures, but you should definitely come back and go down to Wateron, that too is quite a site, especially Cameron lake.

• Liz March 6, 2016 at 7:57 pm #

Thanks

45. Katie March 6, 2016 at 9:37 am #

Wow!! These photos are amazing and Alberta has been on my list for so long. I’m so inspired every time I see pics 🙂

• Liz March 6, 2016 at 8:01 pm #

46. Jennifer March 12, 2016 at 9:33 am #

The scenery in Alberta looks amazing – I love all that snow! There aren’t many places that can rival New Zealand for its scenery!

• Liz March 14, 2016 at 7:09 am #

that is true!!

47. Shannon March 28, 2016 at 11:01 pm #

Wow!! I am Canadian and living in the UK. I always travel to Europe before traveling around my own country. I have done the beautiful east coast but have not gone anywhere west past Ontario. Your post made me fall in love with my own country again. I will definitely visit it more when I am home. Lovely pictures as well xx

• Liz March 31, 2016 at 9:44 am #

Woah you have to check out west! That makes me happy to hear!

48. Austin Dixon March 30, 2016 at 7:10 am #

WOW, this trip looks epicccccccc! Definitely need to make my way up there soon 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

/ Austin
    thesetravelingtunes.com

• Liz March 31, 2016 at 9:45 am #

49. Jawna Miller April 3, 2016 at 6:47 pm #

Im from southern Alberta and I’m glad you enjoyed your visit to Alberta! It is a truly beautiful and breathtaking province. Just wait for the Northern Lights!

50. Cat Kittlitz April 7, 2016 at 4:59 am #

You showcased Alberta so beautifully! I’m also dying to go dog sledding now…

from a born-and-raised, proud Alberta girl.

• Liz April 7, 2016 at 4:20 pm #

Awesome thank you!

51. Dan Hagen April 15, 2016 at 10:26 am #

The stone gods of North America. That parkway is ginormous. I went early last July and it looks completely different. I take it the snowpack was too big to get to Jasper? I could imagine hauling up Sunwapta Pass in the winter is probably out of the question. Once you get high up in the summer, you can see the icefield glaciers starting to claw out between the peaks.

• Liz April 15, 2016 at 5:05 pm #

No, I could have kept going but I had to be at the airport

52. Ooty Tour Packages May 16, 2016 at 6:07 pm #

Cool Photography.

53. Meagan July 25, 2016 at 12:27 pm #

This makes me realize just how much I miss home! Especially the snow! As much as NZ is amazing, in so many ways, I miss my Alberta. Trees for days! I can’t wait to be heading back there in January! First time in over 2 years! <3
    PS I had a moment of "I know those doggy bums"! I think I had those same wheel dogs when I went dog sledding a couple years ago! I loved Snowy Owl Tours!

54. EVP September 22, 2016 at 9:20 pm #

Great Photos!

55. Carl Wright October 10, 2016 at 11:15 am #

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Canada Liz. You really made the most of your time here and returned home with such a vast array of experiences in the Alberta Rockies. (right down to our poutine)

Great photos and write up. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

1. 20 photos that made me love Alberta | SortStyle.com - February 9, 2016

[…] By Liz […]

2. Corners of the Internet #5 – Drive on the Left - February 12, 2016

[…] 20 Inspiring Photos of Alberta, Canada […]

3. Calgary's epic foodie scene - Young Adventuress - February 29, 2016

[…] gateway to Alberta, Canada is Calgary, a bustling big city that I didn’t have a lot of expectations for. My mind […]

4. Calgary’s epic foodie scene - Home Traveling Blog - March 9, 2016

[…] gateway to Alberta will be Calgary, a vibrant major Canadian town which I do not have much expectations. My mind was […]

5. Postcards from the Arctic Circle - Young Adventuress - March 30, 2016

[…] my very first visit inside the Arctic Circle. What a magical place, I have never seen so much snow! Alberta, Canada gave me a taste but it was nothing like […]

6. Postcards via the Arctic Circle - Home Traveling Blog - March 30, 2016

[…] my first visit inside the Arctic Circle. What a magical place, I’ve never seen so much snow! Alberta , Canada gave me a taste, nevertheless the idea was nothing of the […]

7. Postcards From The Arctic Circle | Bloggsom - March 31, 2016

8. Calgary’s epic foodie scene - Albanystayinn.com.A Travel Blog - April 30, 2016

[…] gateway to Alberta is Calgary, a bustling big Canadian city that I did not have a large amount of anticipations for. […]

9. twenty shots that created me really like Alberta - Albanystayinn.com.A Travel Blog - May 2, 2016

[…] Resource connection […]

10. Dogsledding in Alberta, Canada - Young Adventuress - October 11, 2016

[…] already shared my favorite photographs and memories from Alberta on the blog a while back, but this time I wanted to go ahead and tell you […]

11. Dogsledding In Alberta, Canada | Bloggsom - October 11, 2016

12. Dogsledding in Alberta, Canada | OdishiExport | Home page - October 14, 2016

13. Dogsledding in Alberta – Community - October 16, 2016

14. Dogsledding in Alberta, Canada - Insord - November 12, 2016

15. Exploring Johnston Canyon in winter - Young Adventuress - December 29, 2016

[…] totally honest here, I fell in love with Alberta even before I arrived. It was an easy sell. I had seen pictures of it over the years on Instagram, […]

16. Exploring Johnston Canyon In Winter | Bloggsom - December 29, 2016

[…] totally honest here, I fell in love with Alberta even before I arrived. It was an easy sell. I had seen pictures of it over the years on […]