My Travel Pet Peeves

Travel Pet Peeves

After six years of pretty consistent travel around the world, I have begun to notice some alarming trends among my fellow travel comrades, trends that annoy the crap out of me. Some of them are fairly obvious while others are probably my own little quirks that bother me when I’m traveling.

Presenting, my five biggest travel pet peeves:

Travel Pet Peeves

1. People who take photos with an iPad

There are only two occasions when it is socially acceptable to take a photo of anything with an iPad: someone has robbed all your alternative photograph-enabled electronics but someone how missed your iPad because it was in a case cleverly disguised as a book OR your iphone, ipod and camera batteries have all died and you do not have a second battery or charger about your person and you are at a place that must, must MUST be photographed.

Every time I see someone take a photo with an iPad, I want to go up to them and say, “excuse me, sir (madame), you do realize you look absolutely ridiculous, right?” Really, I am doing you a favor here, you should be thanking me because you probably didn’t realize how silly you looked before. In my eyes, it’s like you are holding up your laptop to take a picture of the monument with the camera. Honestly, it’s distracting to the average tourist (me) and it detracts from the value and beauty of wherever I’m visiting because I’m so busing staring at you in awe. Besides, the quality is crap and you probably can’t see the screen very well outside anyways, what’s the point?

In fact, Apple should probably just remove cameras from iPads, but that’s just my two cents.

Travel Pet Peeves

2. Bucket lists

Bucket lists really piss me off, but probably not for the reason you’re thinking. Though honestly, I’m a bit of a hypocrite here, because I’m sure I say “bucket list” all the time, but I don’t really mean it. I try to think of travel in terms of goals with a higher purpose. But when I see massive lists of “do this here” and “do that there” I always think to myself, why? Why do you want to do that? What makes you want to do that? There must be some reason, and I’m curious! Tell me! But if that reason is, I just want to go there to say I’ve been there or to knock it off my bucket list, then I’m really not interested in hearing about it.

I used to do this. On my very first long-term train trip through Europe, I went to a couple of places that I had absolutely zero interest in just to add another country to my list, and I’m mad at myself that I didn’t use those days to see something I really wanted to visit somewhere else.

Travel Pet Peeves

Hordes of tourists lined up at the Mona Lisa at the Louvre. How many are actually looking at the painting?

When you travel this way, micro-planning every detail of your trip, you miss out on beautiful, unique and spontaneous opportunities to do something different. Or maybe even if you add it to a huge list of things to do, you might never do any of them because it seems so impossible.

And then what happens if you never get to that place that was on your list? You probably feel unsatisfied or unhappy with yourself, at least that’s what happened to me. So I decided to take a different approach and give myself long-term goals or even lifelong goals of things I hope to accomplish, things that all (hopefully) lead me to becoming a better person overall. And I’ve become a much happier traveler since.

I guess my pet peeve is more about people who get so caught up in ticking things off a list, they lose sight of what travel is all about. Experiences, memories and self-growth, at least that’s what travel means to me.

The point of this was not just to ramble on, but to say that lists are good and can be very helpful, but at the end of the day, they should be more like guidelines. It’s really important while traveling to let yourself go and be spontaneous, and try random things. Otherwise, who knows what you might be missing out on when you barrel on from point A to point B.

Travel Pet Peeves

3. People who make zero effort to speak another language in a foreign country

I hate this so much, words cannot even begin to express how much it annoys me when people start a conversation in a foreign country in English (I find this happens mostly in English). Hello, you are not home! People aren’t required to speak English around the rest of the world, try not to be a complete d-bag!

I have a rule I always follow when I’m traveling. I learn 5 words of the native language of the country I am visiting in advance.

1. Hello
  2. Goodbye
  3. Thank you
  4. Do you speak English?
  5. Wine, though occasionally I substitute it for other words like beer, water and coffee

th_quote-spanish

5 little words are not that hard and they go a very long way. But you would be amazed at how few people actually make that effort and just rely on someone knowing English to be around. I’m not saying you have to learn the language of wherever you are traveling, that fact alone would keep many people from traveling at all.

But just make a tiny, little effort to show that you do in fact respect the country you are in, 9 times out of 10, people will be automatically nicer, more open and friendlier to you because of it. You don’t have to know another language to travel, but putting forth some effort makes a huge difference, even if the person laughs and replies to you in English. It all boils down to respect.

I have really strong opinions about this. In fact, few things piss me off more than this when I’m traveling. And heaven forbid,  if I ever hear anyone say, “why don’t they speak English here?” you can bet I will turn around and say something to you. And it won’t be nice.

The only time this has backfired was when I was in Egypt, and if I tried to say something in Arabic to a man, they would get so excited that a little blonde western girl knew some Arabic, they wouldn’t leave me alone and follow me around; it was like I was their dream woman come to life. Luckily, 10 year old Ali in Luxor taught me to say “f*** off, I’m married.” Worked like a charm.

Travel Pet Peeves

4. Disrespectful flight behavior

I spend way too much time on planes and I really don’t enjoy it. If I could trains everywhere, I would. It really doesn’t help that I have anxiety issues and I’m borderline OCD. The Oatmeal has a fantastic comic about how airplanes should be laid out. Here are my 10 biggest travel pet peeves on planes:

Travel Pet Peeves

Source, The Oatmeal

1. Parents, control your offspring. Babies cry, kids are kids, I get that. But when I am on a 10 hour international flight, I don’t need your kids crawling all over my seat, screaming, playing around the aisles or kicking my seat while you have your noise canceling headphones on or are snoring away after taking too much Xanax and wine coolers
  2. Never kick my seat. Under any circumstance
  3. Shoes on at all times or at least heavy woolen socks. I can live without seeing or smelling your bare feet
  4. No snoring
  5. Keep your voice down (one time I sat on a connector flight from DC and I listened to the guys in front of me ramble loudly about golf for over an hour. Eventually I chimed in, I assumed they were talking so loudly to encourage passenger interaction. I hate golf btw
  6. On budget airlines that don’t have assigned seating, please don’t sit right next to me when there are tons of empty rows open behind me. I like my personal space
  7. Don’t bring peanuts on a plane please. In this day and age, enough people have peanut allergies that most airlines don’t serve them anymore WITH GOOD REASON. Because people like me are deathly allergic to them. And no, I’m not going to steal your peanuts and eat them, but the smell of them makes me pretty ill nonetheless. And I can smell them a good 10 rows away
  8. Putting your coat or handbag in the overhead bin while the flight is still boarding. Nowadays, most flights are full and people need that space for bigger carry-ons, just wait til everyone is boarded and then try to put it away
  9. Share the armrest
  10. Showers and deodorant are required at least 12 hours before boarding for obvious reasons

Travel Pet Peeves

Totally unacceptable in flight behavior! Source

5. Anti-American attitude

Really? Really? In this day and age, can’t we just move past this? I get it, Americans can be awful travelers. Sometimes I hear things my fellow countrymen say that make me cock my head to the side and go, “WTF?!”

But really, that is a sweeping generalization about a huge group of people, and I don’t like huge sweeping generalizations. Bad travelers are everywhere. It’s not country specific. There are 6 million Americans living abroad, we can’t all be that bad.

And you know what is really surprising? For me, I think there is an attitude within the US that countries around the world hate us, like France or Arab countries, which I have found NOT to be the case at all. When I was traveling in Egypt and Morocco, people were beyond welcoming and friendly; I had heaps of great conversations with locals about this very hot topic, and not once did I get any negative reaction to it. I have a feeling I will hear the same thing when I am in Turkey next week. And I’ve had great experiences with locals in France and Paris, which in general has a very negative stereotype in the US.

But do you know where I consistently get criticized over and over and over again for being American? In the UK. It is literally the only country I felt legitimately HATED for my nationality.

Travel Pet Peeves

As of this year, I have traveled to the UK 11 different times. Why? Because I love it, and I have lots of friends there. Downside: I get sly, backhanded passive-aggressive remarks and comments for being a yank all the damn time! In fact, some of my best hate comments on my blog were directed at me being American.

And if it stems from #1, Americans being known bad tourists, that’s the pot calling the kettle black. After living in Spain for years, I’ve heard some appalling things come out of the mouths of British tourists.

Whether it’s a subtle “you Americans” or stronger anti-American sentiment, it happens over and over again when I’m in England. A memorable example: I was taking the bus to Bath from London and had a lovely conversation with the guy next to me. As we said goodbye, he told me, and I quote, “You know what? You’re pretty intelligent for an American.” Go on, guess how I replied.

I just don’t get it! Can someone please explain this phenomenon to me? British readers, poll in. What’s the deal with Americans? Do we just bug you guys? Is it our awful accents? Our workaholic natures and our tendencies to talk too much about money? Or does it go farther back to our itsy bitsy revolution? Because that’s water under the bridge.

We won the war, move on. You’ve still got Harry Potter and the Queen. And honest to god, what would I give for a UK passport?! Anything! I don’t begrudge merry old England for trying to levy taxes on my ancestors’ tea and keeping them from declaring independence, just like I don’t begrudge Germany for pretty much wiping out my entire family in Poland. That would be petty.

I just think any anti-American sentiment nowadays is just nonsense and it drives me bonkers when I hear it. It’s haughty, obnoxious, borderline racist and completely unnecessary in civilized conversation. End of story.

What are your travel pet peeves? Chime in!

Travel Pet Peeves

, , ,

102 Responses to My Travel Pet Peeves

1. Corinne February 10, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Great, great list! I can’t argue with one word…love it.

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 1:56 am #

Thanks Corinne :D

2. sofia February 10, 2013 at 4:54 pm #

Amazing post!

I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said here, except peanuts, I had never had to worry about those, but I’ll keep it in mind the next time a plane (even though I cant remember a single time I bought those with me, lol)

As for the plane part, something that I really hate, and it gets me really pasive-agresive is the landing part. First of all, why do you clap? Where you so afraid to crash you are really that surprised? How excactly did you think planes landed? And, but even more annoying, we are all going to get off the plane eventually, I don’t need you tapping in my shoulder from your window seat because I’m still sitting “comfortably” reading my book when the doors open. It’s not rocket science, there are tons of passengers who will get off before us, so please, calm the f**k down untill it’s our turn, you won’t get off any faster by getting up on my little personal space, and no, I dont need a constant reminder that the doors are open, I’m not that stupid.

Another thing that really bothers me is how people who have never travelled before, who are travelling with me for the first time (and trust me, I’ve done tons of travelling), don’t know how to take advice, of course I’m no super-expert, but years of airports, new cities, cultures and languages had given me some experience, so, please, please, listen to people who have travelled more than you, it will make my trip so much easier, and you wont recieve as many deadly stares from me.

And a last thing (I could go on and on forever, I’m a natural pevish), it’s not a “while I’m travelling” but a “before a travel” thing, I hate how people always say stuff like “oooh, you are so lucky you are travelling” “Oh, im jelaous, you travel so much” “Oh, its easier for you because you speak english”… Well, first of all, none of my travelling is free (well, except for family vacation), I have to work hard to earn the money to do it, I don’t buy expensive things I would love to have, I don’t spend all my money in alcohol and partying, pretty much everything I earn is for travelling, so, yes, I guess I’m lucky, but you could be lucky aswell, most of my trips are “work trips”, yes, I do work wherever I go, its true that I make money with it (spend when I’m off), but I’m not on vacation, sometimes I get a little free time to do whatever I want. And, yes, I’m super lucky to speak english, but I’m no native, and I had to study a lot, struggle a lot, embarras myself a lot, and spend tons of money for years to get it, so stop complaining and learn the language!

Sorry, to make it so long, I just got carried away with complaining excitment. lol

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 1:57 am #

haha totally agree on all those points too :D

3. Megan February 10, 2013 at 4:55 pm #

i love pet peeve posts. partly because i wrote one a long time ago and it was at like 20 some items before deciding to not go further with it. hahha :)

i hate bucket lists too…for all the same reasons and for the fact that you truly discover the greatest things when traveling when you’re not planning. people with bucket lists often stay so focused on one thing that they lose track of all the greatness around them in the process. im more of a ‘wing-it’ person. which also has its downfalls.

obviously i hate the anti-americanness too. i just call it someone’s inferiority complex with the US. if they were really comfortable with their nationality and where they come from they wouldnt have to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. and when they call us stupid, i just laugh. our stupid asses invented every damn thing their life revolves around…so it kind of speaks for itself. norwegians are pretty anti-american in their actions and sayings. but they are always all holding an iphone and wearing converse sneakers. i tell them if you hate the greedy americans then please stop buying our products which helps us become more and more wealthy. they are still sporting their converse sneakers. i dont find it acceptable to hate any culture or country. norwegians dont find it acceptable either…but if it is an american, they dont consider it hate or a form of racism, so it becomes okay. meh, whatever. it kind of makes me laugh.

i hate rude and inconsiderate in flight people too. my worst pet peeve is when people take a bath in cigarettes before hand. in fact, i hate that anywhere. it is super inconsiderate. (i have allergies to cigarette smoke).

people should always learn some of the language and manners when traveling to a new place. im a bit nervous about this for when i travel to georgia and armenia in april given their alphabet is so strange, but i will definitely still do it.

hmm…my other big pet peeve is country counters. im sorry, but just because you’ve been to munich on a 4 hour layover doesnt mean you’re an expert on germany. i personally have no idea how many places ive been, but i dont measure it based on countries…but rather cities/areas explored into great depth. ive been traveling since i was a baby and lived in europe for six years as a kid and realized the best way to travel for me personally, is slowly and with no pressure. i understand that this isnt the same for everyone, but i hate when someone tells me how well-versed they are in berlin when they were merely there for 6 hours. people that travel as a competition never get as much out of travel as they should. and they are one of my pet peeves.

since i began blogging, i have developed some other pet peeves that kind of fall in the travel category (like buying followers or press trips that dont fit the content or readers of your blog), but for the most part, the ones i listed above are my main ones ;)

4. arielle February 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

LOVE it! I always feel bad now on flights since as the nanny, I’m always flying with my boss and the 17 mo. old! Yesterday before our flight to Hong Kong (at midnight-wayy past little dudes bedtime) his mom had to run and get water for 5 minutes and little guy SCREAMED bloody murder while i was trying my best to constrain him from sprinting after her, and all this was at the terminal. I was thinking, dear god everybody already hates us. At least he slept the whole way once we finally boarded. Plus we would NEVER let him run around. Some parents do need to get a grip on their kids, but a little mercy for those of us who just have the rough situation already of having to deal with infants on long haul flights (no easy task). As for the iPads- I can’t even. Just awful. And you nailed it with the UK criticism portion. I’ll be really interested to hear some responses from Brits about that one. Entertaining as always, Liz!

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:30 am #

You are braver than me girl haha

5. Ed Graham February 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

This is awesome. I was laughing out when I read your American comments. Couldn’t agree more! Everyone just needs to chill the heck out!

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:29 am #

Agreed!

6. Brian February 10, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

My pet peeve is people standing in the middle of a walking path while taking photos. Have the decency to get to either edge of the sidewalk.

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:28 am #

that annoys me big time too!

7. Elizabeth Bostick February 10, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

I totally get the American hate in the UK thing. I lived in the north of England for three years, and the anti-American jokes NEVER got old with my friends. It got old with me after like, the first three days. If someone says to me, ‘well you are American, what do you know?’ one more time, I’m going to punch through that ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ poster hanging on their wall.

Also it depresses me when I go to British tourist hubs in Spain, and all the restaurants sell British food…it’s like, you have the luck to live so close to Spain, go out of your comfort zone and order something other than chips! I stay away from McDonalds when I’m here!

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:28 am #

bahahahahahah!

I hate all the British food shops in the beach towns in Spain too. So annoying. Hell will freeze over before Spaniards eat eggs for breakfast

8. Kaley [Y Mucho Más] February 10, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Totally feel you on the virulent anti-Americanism. Sorry, we’re not all alike. We don’t all think or act the same way. The US is a big country. I can understand not agreeing with our government and our international actions, but as a people I happen to believe we are a-okay. Most of the time.

I hate plane traveling so it’s hard to name all my pet peeves. :)

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:26 am #

I hate plane travel too. Gimme a train ride any day, and I’ll take it.

9. British February 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

I don’t have a problem with Americans at all, but maybe I can sort of answer the last part there. I used to work in a music store smack bang in Piccadilly Circus, and my colleagues were always annoyed mostly by the American tourists because they seemed more demanding and would say WELL THIS IS HOW IT IS IN OUR COUNTRY, WHY DON’T YOU DO IT THIS WAY.. and it was kinda annoying. It felt like they were looking down on us and calling us a backward nation for not having air conditioning everywhere (we don’t really need it for more than two days a year), smaller rooms (how much space do you need) and not providing toilets in a music shop (it’s not a thing in this country.) And I guess in a nation where we’re mostly quite reserved, that kind of attitude is a bit like – HOW CAN YOU?! Some of the customers from America were just plain rude to us. However, I do admire them for being able to speak up and demand what they want, because when I’ve been abroad, I tend to keep quiet and be miserable because of it. I’m not generalising all Americans here by the way! it’s just the all-round impression we got in the most touristy part of London.

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:23 am #

I’m sure it’s absolute hell working there. Tourists are awful no two ways about it.

10. Liz February 10, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Spot on! One I would add (which ties into anti-Americanness, I think) would be Americans pretending to be Canadian. Yes, there are some strong sentiments, but don’t you want to show that not all Americans are the same? Drives me crazy!

And with the British thing-have you ever been to Benidorm/Marbella/Malaga? British tourists/pensioners can be the worst! Many don’t speak Spanish, and have you seen the amount of chippies they have? We’re not the only “bad tourists” . And I have seen many hostels that charge an extra fee for large parties of British men, so that should tell you something.

• Canadian Londoner February 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm #

I’ve never actually met an American abroad pretend to be Canadian, but maybe that’s because they know I’d figure it out immediately (the accents are blatantly different!). You’re right that they shouldn’t feel like they have to pretend!

British tourists are awful, which is why in Europe they tend to be the target of ridicule much more often than Americans are in media/generally.

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:12 am #

Yeah, British tourists definitely have a bad rap in Europe, especially in Spain. Tons of them on the coasts and beaches

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:22 am #

I hate what European tourists have done to southern Spain, even the canary islands and mallorca and Ibiza. It’s like you aren’t even in Spain!

11. Jennifer February 10, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

The iPad thing drives me crazy too. I even had a contest last year to take one of my readers with me to Florence for a fashion weekend. She used a tablet to take photos and even did it in a museum I solely had special permission to take photos in for my post. She ended up getting in trouble and I had to stop photographing because of it!

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:22 am #

oh no! That would have really upset me!

12. Canadian Londoner February 10, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

Generally, I don’t think there is a problem with any of the other things you mentioned, like materialism or work-life balance. When we make fun of your accents, it’s in the same lighthearted way Americans mimic the Cockney or Canadian accents – no insult meant. In the UK specifically, the brash American way of speaking is just very in conflict with British communications styles, which is probably why they are more noticeably grumbly about it than other countries.

The American criticism is over the top and mostly unjustified, but sadly is deserved to an extent. Case in point:

“i just call it someone’s inferiority complex with the US … our stupid asses invented every damn thing their life revolves around…”

It’s not an inferiority complex – quite the opposite. We’re just confused that Americans uniquely are often unable to see that they don’t have the world’s most advanced civilisation, and the condescending attitude that they project at the rest of us because of it (see above comment by ‘British’, who was pretty spot on). Every nation has contributed to humanity, America is just louder about its share. For example, if I hear one more American tell me how without us we’d all be speaking German…! Try telling that to the 1.5 million Russians/other USSR citizens who died at Stalingrad.

There is also the arrogance of thinking we know everything about their country. When I ask Americans abroad where they’re from (before establishing they’re American), they ALWAYS respond with the name of the city, as if it is assumed I’ll have heard of it – I’m pretty keen on geography so usually have, but that’s beside the point. The rest of the world says the country they’re from and follows once prompted with the name of the region/city that will be most familiar to the other person. Why can an American introduce themself as from Milwaukee, but I can’t say I’m from Leeds or Toledo or Wellington?

What is terrible is when an American doesn’t fit a stereotype and people still are cruel to them about their nationality. Also, the actions of your government/military should NOT be something used to criticise an individual, it’s such a cheap blow. And what does intellect have to do with where you were born?

I’ve never really known anyone personally with allergies, so had never considered the peanut thing before. I eat a lot of nuts but will think twice before bringing them on a flight again.

• Canadian Londoner February 10, 2013 at 6:27 pm #

I deleted the first line of my comment…I mean to start with “The anti-Americanism comes from America being involved in some way with almost every country, so everyone seems to have an opinion about it.”

• Megan February 10, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

i think american arrogance has hardly anything to do with it. i think hating on americans is the ‘cool’ thing to do when traveling…or in everyday life. i experience it on a daily basis living here in norway and yes…the people here have constantly told me a lot of it has to do with an inferiority complex. it is norwegians telling me that.

it is kind of like the young boy who picks on the girl he secretly has a crush on…if you need me to put it in simpler terms for ya.

but really, its inexcusable. if i was to stereotype every brit id met based on what ive encountered from british travelers, id think theyd all be leaving puke puddles on floors because they struggle cutting themselves off alcohol. but who cares?? not my place to make generalizations about an entire society solely on the ones ive met.

and truthfully, if people hate america and what it stands for, stop supporting the country and stop traveling there…unless it happens with an open mind and heart.

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:11 am #

exactly!

• Megan February 10, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

lol you can delete duplicate liz. hahaha ;)

13. Cat of Sunshine and Siestas February 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm #

Aaaaaand this is why I’ve spent the last two weekends studying for a driving exam – so I can get a car and be rid of the obnoxious people who talk loudly in English about rude and crude subjects, assuming no one else spoke English.

14. Ashley of Ashley Abroad February 10, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Great article, Liz. Personally though I have definitely heard the most criticism from Canadians, unfortunately. Things like a Canadian girl walking over to me in a mall in Germany to say, “I could hear your YANK accent from across the room.” Hi, nice to meet you? Granted I’ve met tons of great Canadians as well, but I would say I have encountered the most hostility from them overall. Can’t we all just be friends? :(

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:11 am #

agreed!!

15. Sara February 10, 2013 at 8:12 pm #

Totally agree with #3–at the very least, I try to learn ‘hello,’ ‘please’ & ‘thank you’ everywhere I go.

#5 is a tough one, and I’ve had so many conversations with people about it on my travels. I think the most recent time I’ve felt kind of attacked for being American was when I was pointedly asked by a Scottish man in a hostel if I was proud to be American. What a loaded question, since I could tell from his tone the answer he wanted to hear! It sparked a pretty interesting discussion.

And I totally agree with your first commenter, Liz, about the Americans who say they’re Canadian. I try to be a good person and hopefully that means I’m a positive representation of my country/fellow countrymen. So when people ask me where I’m from, I always say the US.

But I guess if someone’s being obnoxious anyway, they can pretend they’re from somewhere else and spare the spread of the bad rap for American travelers. ;-)

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:10 am #

yeah, I never pretend to be Canadian or anything, I suppose only in a place where I felt in danger for being American.

16. Julika February 10, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Great list! I agree with everything you said!
    And please, can you tell us how to say “f*** off, I’m married” in Arabic someday? :)

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:09 am #

haha I have to find it written down in my journal, I’ll look it up :P

17. Andrea MacEachern February 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm #

Agreed! These are some of my pet peeves too!

18. amelie88 February 10, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

It’s interesting to see other people’s travel pet peeves because not everybody has the same ones.

For example, people taking pictures with their Ipads does not bother me in the slightest. Tablets have become a huge part of daily life and it makes sense for them to have a camera. Your cell phone has a camera, your computer has a built in camera, so why not your tablet? Technology is improving all the time and I have seen many talented photographers use their Ipads as a means of taking pictures. I follow the blogger 2Summers who lives in South Africa and who is a photographer. She often takes pictures with her Ipad and uses Instagram and posts the pictures on her blog–they are amazing and look so much better than many bloggers I follow who just use plain old digital cameras. It may look stupid now, but in about 5 years Ipad picture taking will become very commonplace. Imagine how people used to look taking pictures with their phones. Now we don’t even think twice about it!

For bucket lists, I’m a bit on the fence. I don’t share my bucket list on my blog because I’m a private person. I think it’s personal and not meant for the world to see. I tend to see the same things repeated on bucket lists and it kind of gets boring to read and doesn’t add anything to the blog. I’m more interested in the way you describe your travels and what you thought about it, not that you want to cross “floating in the Dead Sea” off your bucket list. That doesn’t tell me anything about you. It’s the way you tell me about how you experienced it that will give me an idea of the kind of person you are.

As for the anti-American attitude, I personally have never felt slighted against but then I think I surprise people when I’m traveling because I speak 3 languages. I’ve also been told I don’t “physically look” American (whatever that means)–Spaniards were always trying to guess where I was from and not once did they ever guess USA. Americans do have the reputation of being monolingual and therefore many believe they do not need to learn any languages because “English is a universal language.” Americans also have the mentality that the “customer is always right” (side note: sometimes you’re not right!) and many don’t realize that American customer service does not translate to other countries. Maybe this is why the UK has such a bad impression of us?

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 2:02 am #

Great points chica!

I feel the same way about bucket lists too, a lot of them are really private for me too. I look super American but I also know over 5 languages and I’ve traveled around the world, but I still get shit for it which really bothers me. It’s just stereotyping and that annoys me a lot. Americans can be awful tourists, but so can British people so I don’t really get it.

19. Alouise February 11, 2013 at 12:04 am #

Totally agree with your pet peeves. I love making lists, but I definitely consider any sort of a bucket list more like a guideline anyway. And I’m not American (Canadian) but I don’t understand all the American hate that some people have. I’ve found Americans are no worse than anyone else.

• Liz February 11, 2013 at 1:59 am #

Agreed Alouise :D

20. H.D. Lynn February 11, 2013 at 4:06 am #

I completely agree with the UK comment. We were at a music festival and this b-tch made a snide comment about my accent. It was the most negative point of travel in two weeks, and that included missing a ferry and having to schedule an emergency flight.

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:53 am #

Aw man, I’m sorry, stuff like that is exceptionally rude and can totally ruin a day. It’s not like we have any control over our country.

21. Captain Miller February 11, 2013 at 10:59 am #

I must say I’m a bucket list person when traveling. Thow I don’t usually fill it with the TOP-10 or the must-see. I try to visit the historic places or some pop culture places. For example when in London I visited the Battersea Power Station, the old Apple office building and the alley where the cover of Ziggy Stardust album was shot. And when in Normandy I visited the beaches and all the key places from the Operation Overlord

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:54 am #

I can’t wait to visit the D-Day beaches in Normandy!

22. Wftristan February 11, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I’m with you on the ipad/photo front – My dad has an ipad and is always taking photos with it – apart from looking daft – When on holiday or a trip you are just asking to get mugged if you use one

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:54 am #

It is definitely not discreet! Also hilarious!

23. Miret February 11, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

I so agree with the iPad photo-taking! ;-)

24. Jeremy Branham February 11, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

1. I saw people taking photos with an iPad this weekend. Honestly, some of these people don’t have really nice cameras or are new and naive with technology. So using an iPad is easy for them. I wouldn’t do it but I think many of them just aren’t as technologically advanced.

2. I wrote a post a while back called “How my bucket list can change your life” – it has nothing to do with a bucket list. It’s almost anti-bucket lit. But it makes many of the same points as you. I ABHOR just traveling to check stuff off of a list.

3. Amen. Had this discussion yesterday with a Brit. She felt the same way. It won’t kill you to learn a few simple phrases when you travel. And talking louder won’t make other people understand any better.

4. Sometimes you can’t do anything about the snoring. Airplane seats are not conducive to sleeping on an airplane you know :) The rest, I agree with you. I just don’t like feet and I surely don’t want to see yours on an airplane when I can’t get away.

5. I hate to say this but I avoid American tourists when I travel. I do the best to blend in with others – the way I dress, the way I talk (HINT – STOP TALKING SO LOUDLY!!!!!!), and even the way I walk. The key is to be respectful and considerate of other cultures and customs. No, it’s not like America – if you want it to be, go home.

With that said, British tourists have no room to talk. Sure, they are a bit more cultured in European ways than we are but they move away, build their own expat communities, and never even try to assimilate into the culture. We both have our faults but there are some great travelers from all countries.

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Love all of that <3

25. Jessica February 11, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

NUMBER THREE. I CANNOT STAND IT. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

26. Val February 11, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

I gotta chime in on the last one, mostly cuz I’ve had the opposite of experiences. In France, I was met with some of the rudest behavior I’ve ever encountered from locals while traveling. This one, much older man decided to full on shove my teenage sister because she wasn’t moving fast enough for him onto the metro, and I then pushed him back because, whoa not cool, and then he proceeded to shove me. I was like really? REALLY? Now I know that is not necessarily just because we were Americans, but still. My friends also got kicked out a restaurant in Paris for being American. I have a very love-hate (but mostly hate) relationship with Paris though, so I am definitely biased.

But yet, while I lived in London for 3.5 months, I never encountered one person treating me badly for being an American. In fact, it was just the opposite. They all were obsessed with my nationality.

I think it’s just a matter of who you happen to meet.

My biggest pet peeve would have to be people not willing to compromise. I had the trip from hell to Ireland with 5 other girls while I was studying abroad because 3 of the girls refused to do anything other people’s ways. We made it through the first days of the trip okay, but it really soured the last few days. I’m definitely a stubborn person and like to do things my way, which is fine when I’m by myself, but when you are with other people, you have GOT to give just a little.

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:55 am #

Aw bummer!

I totally feel you on the compromise, that’s why I mostly travel alone. People annoy me.

27. Britt February 11, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Arggg I also can’t stand anti-Americanism when I travel. I hate the feeling of wondering if people are going to draw negative conclusions about me just after telling them where I’m from. Oddly enough, I also often get it from other anglophones. Australians have been my number one offenders. One Aussie friend tried to explain that it’s just their sense of humor, but I remember when a complete Australian stranger called me obnoxious for saying I was from California before saying I was from the U.S. I got a little (ok a lot) defensive and said, “well if you don’t know California is in the U.S. then you’re not worth talking to” (oopsies! hey she started it!) She made sure to tell me that my “American personality was coming right out.” I hardly think she was poking fun!

• Sian March 26, 2013 at 2:48 am #

There are definitely assholes everywhere. I’m Australian, and the last chick you mentioned was totally rude. But you get them everywhere. We do tend to have a very mocking sense of humour, though. Most of us won’t be offended if you mock us back, that’s the point of it, showing you have enough tolerance for these things, though again there are some who are just plain mean (as in your case in point above).

28. Britt February 11, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

Ahhh and just to add one more thing! When I do tell people I’m from the U.S. before saying California I’m often met with an eye roll and snarky “yeahhhh but where?” There’s just no pleasing some people! haha

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Ha I know what you mean!! I’ve tried it all and still annoy people!

29. Mari Crookshanks February 12, 2013 at 1:11 am #

When I went to England, I went to a beautiful house up in the Derbyshire area called Chatsworth. I met a guy there who said that he heard from a German guy that Americans were unintelligent and that because of this he would not go to America. I thought this was really ignorant. I understand the underhanded comments when I visited but not everyone was that rude in England. Most people were very nice overall.

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:51 am #

People are idiots everywhere I guess!

30. Candi February 12, 2013 at 2:17 am #

I think Canadian Londoner has it spot on. And to say it’s an inferiority complex in other nationalities really does sound like arrogance and defensiveness.

I love the US in many ways, I’ve got great American friends, the country is huge and diverse and interesting and beautiful and I really love the accents. I also dislike a lot about the society, and it’s political approach to dealing with the world, and ‘American exceptionalism’ is pretty laughable. It’s not the most advanced country in the world in terms of healthcare, education, crime levels etc but so many Americans seem to believe they are best in the world at everything.

I post a lot on a travel forum and over the years I’ve noticed one thing: when I see a thread entitled ‘Is it safe in X’ or ‘I’m visiting X, I’m really worried about my safety’ I can tell you that, without exaggeration, at least 80% of those posts are from Americans. They worry so much more about their safety abroad than any other nationality I know.

So, when your country is culturally dominant in the world, when it goes around telling the world it’s the best at everything, when it starts wars in foreign lands that many of it’s people couldn’t point to on a map (whether you agree with your country’s foreign policy or not), when it boasts about it’s freedoms as if it invented democracy, then don’t be surprised if you experience some negative reactions around the world. It’s not right and it doesn’t make sense to think every single American is dumb, scared of the world around them and arrogant, but, like puking Brits eating their fish and chips in Spain, enough are to have created the stereoptype.

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Very good points!

• American Londoner February 12, 2013 at 3:21 am #

Living in London as an American (not as a Canadian I remind you), only I, and other Americans, can determine how the backlash from being an American in a foreign country can feel. It can have its good days and it can have its bad days. But I do feel a lot of resentment from being an American here.

Inferiority complex or not, as one is growing up, they are taught that the people that pick on you want something from you or want to be you. I am certain that this mindset is rather universal, and not something taught solely in the United States. So, what’s the problem? Most Americans I know do not see themselves as a greater success internationally than any person of any other country. Foreigners feel the need to believe this because it makes themselves feel better about themselves and where they come from. Why? Who knows… But after living in this place for a good majority of my adult years, I can only assume that the taunting I receive for my nationality is based on people who feel the need to put another down to make themselves feel better.

I’ve concluded that if it makes a foreigner feel better to believe that I am stupid, uneducated (which is something I still don’t follow to this day as America has some of the best schools globally), self-centered, loud, arrogant, boastful, or anything like the above, I will let them feel that way. Those are generally not the people I need to be hanging out with anyways.

But just remember, just because you don’t like our government or how America operates, doesn’t mean we like how your country or government operates either. It often swings both ways. It has just been more accepted internationally to hate on the American way of doing things as opposed to how other countries do.

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

I think you are completely right. It’s similar to bullying and it’s just a lack of education in my opinion. It’s just frustrating, we are a huge country, it’s unfair to judge us all the same.

31. Amanda February 12, 2013 at 6:31 am #

I am SO with you on the iPad thing. It’s so weird and just makes me judge people needlessly.

I haven’t necessarily experienced much anti-American sentiment in the UK, though I have had a lot of British friends/acquaintances comment on how surprised they are to find out that I’m so sarcastic. Apparently we Americans aren’t supposed to be??

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

It’s do silly right? I can’t help but laugh every time I see some do that!

That’s good you haven’t had to deal with the American crap. I hate it, mostly it happens when I’m in small towns or out at bars or something. I just find it shocking no matter how many times I hear it. I’ve got a lot of good friends in the UK, and I never hear it from them. I just can’t believe it when they say it to my face. And I’m not a bad tourist either, I just don’t get it!

32. Daniel Catalan February 12, 2013 at 11:31 am #

Little ten year old Ali from Luxor sounds like a badass

• Liz February 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

Ali was my favorite person in Egypt. He let me drive his horse cart around Luxor for $1. I’ve got it in a post here somewhere…

33. Alex @ ifs ands & butts February 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

iPad photo takers are the worst. Like how do they not realize how ridiculous they look and how terrible quality photos that damn gadget takes. I have an iPad and I don’t think I’ve ever taken a photo on the thing because it makes NO sense. Gah.

• Liz February 13, 2013 at 3:15 am #

amen sister

34. Jory February 13, 2013 at 2:17 am #

Like mentioned somewhere above, tourists with volume control are really annoying and one of my top peeves. Sadly I find that Americans fit in that category often, but I’ve encountered other nationalities as well. Some common courtesy goes a long way and that should extend to the sound volume. And some of the worst offenders are mothers yelling at their children to behave.

Learning some of the language is very important in my book. Its annoying to see people not even trying to use the local language. It cant be that hard to get a simple phrase book and make a small effort.
    Your phrase list is almost exactly the same as mine, I’ve just added Sorry or Pardon. It comes in handy whenever I walk into people ( I’m easily distracted and an admitted rubbernecker).

• Liz August 25, 2013 at 3:13 am #

It’s so important to make a little effort with foreign languages, it bugs me that people don’t try harder

35. Sarah B February 13, 2013 at 2:39 am #

Ok, so I promised I’d share a good story — I feel like I have a gazillion of them, and I can totally agree with the subtle passive/aggressive xenophobia against Americans by the Brits.

My favorite story is this:

I had been writing my comprehensive exams for my PhD in Cornwall and I was headed home on the train back to London. I had booked the ‘Quiet Carriage’ so that I could finish up my exams on the train ride home in relative peace. Across the aisle from me was a woman who was dressed in a business suit and also clearly working. A few seats up, a man was talking really loudly on his mobile phone (which isn’t allowed in the Quiet Carriage) so the woman across the aisle gets up and says, very very politely “I’m sorry to bother you sir, but do you mind going between carriages for your phone call? We’re in the quiet carriage and it’s not allowed to talk on your phone”

So the guy sighs really loudly and says “I’ve got to get off the phone mate, some AMERICAN lady is yelling at me” (change that out with Korean or Indian and it’s racist but somehow when you say American it’s ok???)

Anyway the woman sits back down and I lean over and say “Well that guy was kind of an ass” and she says “Yeah, I’m not even American…I’m Canadian”

It’s so frustrating…

36. Chelsea February 13, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

Love this post, Liz! I agree with every single one of these!!
    By the way – I am getting so excited for your trip to Turkey! Can’t wait to read about your adventures & see photos :)

37. Petite Adventures February 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Fabulous post! I couldn’t agree with your peeves more – nothing is more annoying than having someone kick the back of your seat on flights!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

38. Olivia - young on the road February 14, 2013 at 1:00 am #

Number 3 especially was spot on. I would add ‘excuse me’ to the list though – especially if you are visiting a big crowded city!

39. Lauren February 15, 2013 at 9:18 pm #

Unfortunately the American TV that has made it over here is full of brash, loud, vacuous bimbos who love themselves a little too much and seem to think they’re better than everyone else because they’re American. Perhaps it has given a skewed impression of Americans to some, and understandably so.

Actually what springs to mind is America’s Next Top Model, in particular the season that was Americans v.s Brits. The Americans were just as prejudiced towards the Brits, and sadly the worst people possible on that show were representing our respective countries.

Prejudice lives everywhere. As you say, Europeans apparently have a strong opinion about Brits, it’s exactly the same situation as you described. All around the world countries have strange opinions about people from other countries. Your post seems to turn into a sweeping generalisation about British people though (with exception to your friends) after you said you hated sweeping generalisations.

I think the main culprits to any prejudice are the media (number 1 culprit), past experiences and politics. Thank god you have Obama now that’s all I’m saying. Oh I love him.

Lots of us are quite nice, and I love the Americans I’ve met on my travels. I’m sad to hear you had bad experiences, though looking at your comments it was mainly in the small towns, and everyone knows that small towns ANYWHERE are less open-minded.

Hope you enjoy your next trip to Britain and sorry about the ignorant people you’be been unfortunate enough to meet.

40. Callie February 24, 2013 at 4:00 am #

Hahaha! Love this. People taking selfies with ipads are especially bad…

My (perhaps irrational, because it’s none of my business) pet peeve is when people travel to something like 5 countries in 2 weeks and then brag about how many countries they’ve seen. That’s just passport-stamp collecting. How can you possibly see anything or meet anyone in those places in such a tight time frame?

• Christine October 28, 2013 at 8:43 am #

Good point about fast “express” travel, I don’t understand why people bother to do that, its like there is a stamp collecting contest going that the rest of us don’t know about.

I once overheard a girl telling her friend about a recent trip to Europe, she said “I’ve been to London, Paris, Berlin and Rome, so I mean I’ve pretty much seen everything, I don’t need to go back.” She was serious and my jaw about hit the floor in shock.

• Liz October 28, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Holy crap! My jaw would have hit the floor right there with you!

41. S March 8, 2013 at 5:55 am #

Ahhh, the anti-American thing. To be honest, I think we partly do it because so many of you get so pissed off. And because, many of you do fulfill our stereotypes.

And you do slightly behave like your politics and international relations are utterly separate from how we will treat you.

But I do get your point that the British are horrible on holiday. We are genuinely awful, our language skills are non-existant and we definitely drink too much. But I also think most Brits are better at admitting that than Americans are. Not everyone, sure, but in general.

I also feel that it’s a little unfair to act like this is a thing we only do to Americans. After sarcasm, horrible country stereotypes are kind of what we do. We stereotype people from North England vs South England, Ireland, France, Norwegians… If you tell me a country, I can guarantee that we have a horrible stereotype about them. Which is awful, I agree (not that it stops me!), but it’s not reserved solely for you.

42. km04_1 March 29, 2013 at 2:53 pm #

I liked your list.

And agreed with a lot of it but the last Travel Peeve makes me pretty sad as well as the multiple comments. You say you disliked the mass generalisation of Americans while in the UK. But from what see on your blog you only seem to have been to England so by saying all Brits and people of the UK are the same is kind of exactly the attitude you mean.
    I’m pretty sure Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland (you know the other countries of the UK) would be far more welcoming.
    In my experience the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish avoid the so called “British Pubs” when abroad (I know I certainly have) because they’re actually only for a specific group who sit and watch English premier league football all day rather than actually explore somewhere new.
    I always hate when people use UK, England and Britain interchangeably, they are very different things even if many of the English I have met while travelling have been happy to pretend to others that it all the same. :/

43. Elena April 9, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Liz,

you rock! )

• Liz August 25, 2013 at 3:17 am #

thanks Elena :P

44. sac longchamp soldes April 16, 2013 at 1:11 am #

This report identifies in addition to defines many headphone systems and his or her differences.

45. Stacie April 18, 2013 at 7:05 pm #

Very much agreed! Bucket lists are a pet peeve of mine also; however, it seems to be for a very different reason than yours. In my experience, the people who have bucket lists are generally the people who never travel and never actually cross any of the things off. “Bucket list” seems to be synonymous with “maybe someday” or “I wish,” and I tend to hear it most often from friends after inviting them to come on a trip with me (“Oh, I wish I could do that! I’m so jealous of your trips! It’s on my bucket list though.”)

• Liz April 19, 2013 at 2:21 am #

That annoys me SO MUCH!

46. Simon Harris April 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Awesome, I am collecting photos of idiot tourists using iPads as cameras at Disney World, I went to a concert the other night, as soon as they announced ‘no video recording’ out comes an iPad right in front of me, held up blocking everyones view.

• Simon Harris April 23, 2013 at 7:32 am #

Forgot to add another one to the flights – When the passenger behind you wants to stand up and suddenly pulls on your head rest to pull themselves up suddenly lurching your seat backwards. The sensible way to do it would be to use their own arm rest to PUSH themselves up, but they don’t care if you are suddenly dragged backwards.

• Liz August 25, 2013 at 3:17 am #

Biggest pet peeve ever!

47. ray ban April 26, 2013 at 7:09 am #

being gigantic definitely would not be enough of the attention getter already make these people red which includes a yellow moose!!

48. CJ April 26, 2013 at 7:09 am #

Amusing article..all that complaining? And I get the feeling in a word, you’re a class A C#@T

49. Alexandra June 28, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Hey, I really like your posts and I hope to start traveling around the world soon :).
    I usually keep to myself while reading blogs, but something on this post bugged me a little, it was about your “Anti-American attitude”. Well, I’m brazilian, and I can’t speak for the rest of America or for the rest of my country, but it annoys me that you call yourselves “americans” all the time! You are the United States of America, but there are several other states that forme countries in the rest of the continent.
    I’ve been to the US a few times (I even stayed with a host family for a month), and all I get is the attitude: “well, americans don’t usually do that” or “in America we always do things like this”. And every time (because a lot of people gave me this attitude) all I could think was: “Well, I live in America too, and I don’t do/do that!”.
    America is a hole continent divided in three parts, North, Central and South, but United States citizens tend to classifie themselves as americans or north-americans and the rest as latin americans. I don’t hate people from the United States, but I just think that, sometimes, you think that you are above any other nation just because you are a powerful one.
    I see this behavior in most United States citizens I meet, and you even gave an example: people that refuse to learn even a “Hello” in the language of the country they are visiting. I don’t thing other nations necessarily hate people from the US, but most of the times you act like you were superior to all nations.
    How about you? Do you think about visiting Brazil? I’m sure you will like it, we will always be nice and polite to you, but learning a little bit of portuguese would sure avoid some trouble and people who like to deceive foreigners.

50. Christine October 28, 2013 at 8:31 am #

My biggest travel pet peeve is other Americans honestly. I can deal with no public bathrooms, language barriers, getting lost, being overcharged etc etc.

That is to say the Americans who perpetuate our negative stereotype and make me sometimes ashamed of where I come from:

1. Being overly loud, I once heard a family’s entire conversation on a beach in Nice despite the fact that the son and his mother were standing a solid thirty feet away from each other. They also happened to be yelling/speaking about money. “Here come get fifty euros so you can go buy blahblahblah!” “I already have the platinum card mom!” If that’s not a good way to alert the local pickpockets and thoroughly annoy everyone else having a pleasant afternoon than I don’t know what is.

2. Cultural ignorance: From refusing to even say the simplest things like “Hello” and “Thank you” in the language of the country they are in, to asking the most ridiculously stupid questions i.e. asking a french person: “do french people bathe regularly, like more than once a week or do you guys just smell?” (I know someone who legitimately asked this to one of our french professors in France at the university where we were studying as the school’s first class of exchange students. *mega facepalm*

On a side note the worst Anti-American attitude I’ve encountered came from a South African man who I shared a room with in a hostel. The entire weekend he had border line rude comments and cracked all sorts of “jokes” that I or other American stereotypes were the butt of and saying things like “Well you are American” whenever I would say I hadn’t heard of/done something etc before. Additionally he called me American instead of my name whenever he talked to me, or referred to me. The best part of this situation is that we were in the US! (Seattle)

51. Courtney January 11, 2014 at 10:01 am #

I’m british and don’t hate americans, and everyone i know dosent hate americans, we think you guys are alright, and we have no problems with you, but its the accent. Goddamn, it makes me want to claw my eyes out. You guys are so hyperactive when you talk and its kinda highpitched, whereas british people are generally alot more monotone, toned-down and bland when we talk, i guess were just a moody group of people so when we hear your accent its like, how are you so excited this early in the morning? Not generalising everyone, just saying what i think. Before people start saying “ooooooh were not all like that, thats racisit, your stereotyping”

• Niamh July 22, 2014 at 4:10 am #

Irish here, and I have to agree with everything said above. Every type of American accent drives me nuts, it grates on my last nerve. Also, coupled with the fact that you guys talk so fast and so enthusiastically about everything, it’s like, slow down, have a cup of tea, calm your attitude. Means not as a generalisation, but it makes a trying time to talk to Americans, especially when you’re not used to it.

52. Kyla March 21, 2014 at 10:11 am #

I like 4 and agree with the aspect of 5 but honestly, those other “pet peeves” are none of your concern. For example, a close friend of mine does not believe in cell phones but he in fact has an iPad. He carries it from place to place and if he wants a picture he snaps in with his iPad and puts in on social media. You quite frankly are not doing anyone a favor, you are being nosy and judge mental. As for a bucket list. Why do you care? It makes them happy. It’s there drive to get them out there experiancing the world. So to be straight with you, your OPINIONS are selfish and should be kept to yourself. People are all individuals for a reason.

• Leah September 17, 2014 at 10:29 am #

Nope, I fully support the iPad one. And it is indeed of other people’s concern. I don’t mind people taking photos with their iPad, except 90% of the time they feel the need to shove their iPad in front of other people’s faces, or worse, other people’s cameras when they are trying to take a picture. iPad cameras are crappy quality, get a proper camera, they’re not expensive, they’re five times smaller, they have better zoom and they don’t get in other people’s way when they’re trying to take photos. If you must take photos on your iPad, be considerate about it.

53. Leah September 17, 2014 at 11:00 am #

As an Australian, let me answer your question about why ‘we’ (I’m answering on behalf of the Brits here too, although they’re welcome to correct me if I’m wrong) ‘hate’ you (we don’t but I’m using that term because you did).

Number 1: Your accent. I know you can’t help it, but we hear it all the time in the movies, when we turn our TVs on, it’s EVERYWHERE (I think this is worse in Australia than the UK – the UK has a lot of really good locally-made movies and TV while Australia gets most of its entertainment from America). Having to hear it on holidays in other countries gets a bit grating.

Number 2: (Related to Number 1) – the volume with which you use that accent. On the tube the other day (I’m an Aussie living in the UK) the americans in the carriage were by far the easiest to hear, and that was on a relatively noisy tube. I find men’s voices easier to listen to though, for some reason. Probably pitch, as Courtney referred to.

Number 3: attitudes like ‘we won the war, move on’ :P (You said it, so I had to mention it!) It’s like you’re dragging out your superiority totally unnecessarily, because nobody’s aversion to Americans has anything to do with independence, haha. In fact Australians (and, in my experience, Brits) tend to make jokes out of it rather than be offended or bothered by it. If you’ve ever been to the Tower of London you will have heard the beefeaters’ joke about Americans paying their taxes, and when the US government shut down last year we all had a laugh about when that happened to Australia in the 70s, the Queen just fired the government and appointed a new Prime Minister! :D Also, you wouldn’t have won the war without the French ;) On the flip side, you’re the reason we won WW2.

But really those are just problems with America in general and normally not specific people and you’re right that it’s totally unnecessary to bring up in conversation, and that dude you spoke to on the bus on the way to Bath was out of line.

1. When I Grow Up | Classyville - July 18, 2013

[...] note-Liz over at Young Adventuress pretty much sums up my feelings about “bucket lists” here. I still use the term regularly, but I think of these things more as goals than as something in [...]